PDA

View Full Version : Weather Checked White Oak??

Jim Eller
07-31-2010, 7:24 AM
I have some weather checked white oak.

Any suggestions on what to do for it or what to do with it?

I have it down to a manageable size and hate to plane it any farther.

Maybe it will look ok weathered. Just haven't been there before.

Thanks,
Jim

David Christopher
07-31-2010, 8:27 AM
Jim, you can use pore filler to fill in the checks. without filling, most finishes will look bad

Chip Lindley
07-31-2010, 8:32 AM
Jim, not anything "real" you can do to fix checked wood. What's done is done!

1) Consider using it "as-is" in a rustic piece, with the checked theme running throughout

2) Fill the cracks with filler. But I doubt you will like the results.

3) IF the lumber were not already planed to thickness, it could be resawed and laminated with the BS-cut faces outward. That would be a PAIN! But...possible!

Jim Eller
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys.

I guess I do have some options.

The pics are at 15/16" so I can probably get it down to 3/4".

I just pains me to put that much in the Gorilla's bin.

Jim.

scott vroom
07-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I've never done it, but how about using a clear filler?

Larry Rasmussen
07-31-2010, 5:27 PM
I used some stuff I got at Rockler for some mixed small shelfs and facing that line two walls in a pass through as spice racks. Red oak but pretty much straight grained except a single knot with a few checks around it. I used a product I got at Rockler; Wunderfil and the oak color just a bit darker than the wood. It's like mud and it was a lot of work to apply. I like the way it came out and I'm arguing with myself now if the project in the dining room out of while oak will get the treatment.

So that will seem like kindergarden if you've done the filler before but if not at least give it a test drive. I just walked over and found the knot I remembered being there- Looked fine- smooth of course and I couldn't readily find the previous small cracks. I did try the clear and couldn't get it applied very well without spending much more time. The area that I did finished I didn't care for much.

Good luck,
Larry R
Seattle