PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Travel Mug

Greg Just
07-30-2010, 9:34 PM
Here is my latest travel mug. I decided to try a segmented one and this has 64 pieces. I will be entering it into the Minnesota State Fair next month in the Turn Segmented category.

The 4 woods I used are hard maple, padauk, purple heart and tatajuba. I found the tatajuba in the cutoff room at Rockler. It is a very dense wood, but turns nicely.

Tim Boger
07-30-2010, 9:37 PM
Nicely done, I'm inspired to try something similar.

Keep up the great work.

Tim

Guy Mathews
07-30-2010, 9:55 PM
VERY NICE! I am extremely impressed and wish I had a lathe in my basement shop to try this. I have recently found a book at our local library on segmented turning and can't wait for the day.

Please post more of your work and keep us "wannabees" inspired to take the plunge into turning.

Thanks.

Robert McGowen
07-30-2010, 9:59 PM
That is very nice work, Greg. The proportions look just right. Good luck with the fair.

Michael Short
07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Well done Greg. You just added another have to do project to my list. Thanks for posting.

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Looks good Greg! Best of luck with the State Fair!

David E Keller
07-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Nicely done. Great choice of woods as well.

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Really nice. Good luck at the fair.

Michelle Rich
07-31-2010, 7:50 AM
Hey Guy: I've seen things "turned" on a drill press..I think PSI might still sell the shaft(??) it's done on.. no lathe? no problem

Paul Douglass
07-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Beautiful travel mug. I have teo kits to make those but so far haven't had the guts to start work on them. I just have to get some more turning experience.

John W Dixon
07-31-2010, 8:20 PM
Greg that is outstanding. I really like this and it looks like it would be comfortable in the hand too. Best of luck at the fair.

John

Mark Hubl
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Nice. One of these days. Something seggie is definetly on my turning bucket list.

Sean Hughto
07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I really like all the colors. For some reason it reminds me of a warm quilt. Good one. Good luck at the fair.

John Keeton
07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Greg, this one is very nice. You have done several nice segmented and staved mugs as I recall, but this is my favorite!

BTW, I haven't forgotten about walnut and curly maple scraps for you. It is just that I haven't done any more furniture projects since buying this lathe!!!!!:mad: Hard to make square scraps with a bowl gouge!!

Greg Just
07-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.

When I started this one I wasn't sure it would work, but I'm rather pleased with the result and I think the wife has her eye on it. I glued up 16 7 inch long staves then "parted" the cylinder into 4 sections, rotated each section as to alternate the colors and glued it together again. I then re-chucked the cylinder and finished like the others I have done.

John K. - no hurry on the wood scraps - I'm in pretty good shape right now.

Willard Foster
08-01-2010, 9:38 PM
Thanks for letting us know it will be at the state fair. How long has the fair had a segmented category?

Can't wait to stop by and see it, right after I eat some mini donuts, french fries, chocolate malt, corn dog, cheese curds.....

Will your mug be in the Creative Arts building? If so, I want to look for it while my wife is looking at quilts.

Bill

Greg Just
08-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for letting us know it will be at the state fair. How long has the fair had a segmented category?

Can't wait to stop by and see it, right after I eat some mini donuts, french fries, chocolate malt, corn dog, cheese curds.....

Will your mug be in the Creative Arts building? If so, I want to look for it while my wife is looking at quilts.

Bill

Willard:

The Creative Arts building is where all the crafts are on display. I believe this is the first year for segmented turning. In the past, the top winners were segmented so maybe that is why they created the category. I'm also entering a totally turned shop stool. It's almost done and I will post pictures of it later. My son (12) started turning a pen from antler today that he wants to enter.

French Fries are my favorite!

Tim Hughes37
08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Greg, outstanding work! Love the way you burned the outlines too. Good luck at the fair!

Willard Foster
08-29-2010, 4:24 PM
Greg,

Did you win any ribbons at the fair? I'm going Thursday (Sept 2).

Bill