PDA

View Full Version : need a miter gauge and splitter (and other)

Bob Riefer
07-30-2010, 8:36 PM
Hi,
I just picked up a used Grizzly 1023 last weekend (it still feels good to write that) and it's in great shape but did not include the splitter or miter gauge.

My question is NOT "what's the best options if money is no consideration"... because, frankly, money is a major consideration.

Also, being new to woodworking, I've found so far that I haven't developed preferences yet. Might be better to do so on less expensive items.

Anyways, I see the Incra MITERV27 on Amazon for under $50. That seems like it would certainly get me started, and possibly more.

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITERV27-Miter-V27-Gauge/dp/B0007UQ2DW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1280536309&sr=8-2

And in terms of splitter, I think I'll order the medium shark splitter (which also comes with the "small" for non thru cuts) in the standard width from Leeway. That comes to $32 I think.

http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php

And, last question for today.. In terms of cleaning up the top surfaces of my recent purchases (the Delta jointer for example has some surface rust) and then protecting it, what's a reasonably price route to take?

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the advice and read the posts here all the time.

Lee Koepke
07-30-2010, 8:43 PM
Howdy! You'll like the 1023, thats what I have.

I also bought a V27 and built my own fence extension and use it quite a bit. I have the factory splitter assembly so cant help you there.

I apply paste wax to the top on occasion and it keeps things pretty clean.

george wilson
07-30-2010, 9:01 PM
Fasten a strip of wood on the face of any aluminum miter gauge you buy. The wood is guaranteed to slip if you don't,giving you out of square cuts. You can make little thin nuts-just file down some standard nuts-to slip in the little T slots in the face of the fence. Then,screw the wood on with machine screws. AND: make sure those machine screws aren't a bit TOO LONG,or you'll mess up your fence by bulging it.

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 9:10 PM
The Incra V27 is an excellent "value" miter gauge. You also have a goos value in splitter picked out. As for rust removal/protectant I am partial to Boeshield, but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives and if the rust is heavy better removers as well.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=3401&ss=3127e707-0de5-4248-a3eb-89111b8222c4

david brum
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
If you want an OEM splitter for free, send me a PM. I have the Shop Fox cabinet saw, pretty much the same thing.

glenn bradley
07-31-2010, 1:33 AM
I have a V-27 for the TS and one for the RT. I added an aluminum fence to each and they have been dead-on for years. I make my own ZCI's and went with the MJ Splitter. I bought spares a couple years ago at a show but have never broken the originals. This did give me a set for each common ZCI that I use though so it has worked out (24, 40 and 80T).

Bob Riefer
07-31-2010, 9:34 AM
Thanks Guys!! Sounds like I'll be in good shape on that miter gauge. And thanks David for sending that splitter to me! Much appreciated!!!

Curt Harms
08-01-2010, 2:01 PM
Not the one that drops below the table easily but the one that is attached with one knurled knob. I'm thinking of getting Bob Ross ************ to replace it. It sounds like the ************ is the closest thing to a replacement Riving Knife available today and likely in the near future.

www . the****store . com and he gives a discount for SMC customers, I'm pretty sure.