PDA

View Full Version : Jet 10-20 Drum Sander... Is It a Toy?

Lance Norris
07-30-2010, 6:51 PM
Well... I thought after I bought my OSS, that my shop was complete, but now I think I'd like to add a Drum Sander. I simply have no room for another floor machine, and the 10-20 looks like the right size for the type of work I do. This is a hobby-home shop, nothing professional. I have a Grizzly 15" spiral head planer, so I wont be thicknessing with it, but light duty sanding instead. From the reviews I have read, and the price of the machine, It seems like it is a well made tool. I have 3 other Jet machines and am happy with them. I have to ask... is this thing a good machine that I will be happy with for years to come? It wont be used daily, but I want it to do a good job. Is it a toy, or is it in line with the type of quality that Jet machines offer? Thanks in advance.

Jay Allen
07-30-2010, 7:29 PM
I have had one for several years and have always thought it was great. I do quite a bit of resawing to make box parts and it has made that process much easier. Make some infeed/outfeed tables for it and you are good to go.
The biggest stumbling block for most people is cost, but once you are past that, it is a well built reliable tool.

Tim Boger
07-30-2010, 7:41 PM
Well... I thought after I bought my OSS, that my shop was complete, but now I think I'd like to add a Drum Sander. I simply have no room for another floor machine, and the 10-20 looks like the right size for the type of work I do. This is a hobby-home shop, nothing professional. I have a Grizzly 15" spiral head planer, so I wont be thicknessing with it, but light duty sanding instead. From the reviews I have read, and the price of the machine, It seems like it is a well made tool. I have 3 other Jet machines and am happy with them. I have to ask... is this thing a good machine that I will be happy with for years to come? It wont be used daily, but I want it to do a good job. Is it a toy, or is it in line with the type of quality that Jet machines offer? Thanks in advance.

Hi Lance,

I had the Jet 10-20 for several years and liked it a lot, I have since upgraded to the Jet 16-32 and find it's extra width allowance quite useful. I use it mainly for sizing my material for segmented work as well as flattening the rings before I build the piece.

If you can afford it I would recommend the wider capacity, you'll be glad you did.

Tim

Will Overton
07-30-2010, 7:45 PM
I never owned one, so this is an assumption based on experience with the 16-32.

I bought the 16-32 during one of the Jet sales, and struggled to find a place for it. I wound up adding it to those mobile tools that need to moved around all the time. While I did sand a couple of wider desk tops with it, mostly I use it for pieces less than 10". Based on what I primarily use it for, the 10-20 would have worked just fine, most of the time.

Not a toy IMHO

Karl Card
07-30-2010, 8:10 PM
I too have the performax/jet 16/32 and I got lucky and got mine used.

The only thing I would recommend is take a good look at what you MIGHT want to try later on and if it excedes the 20 inch mark then I most definitely would step up to the 16/32.

If not then you are right on target. My own personal was the cost issue.
I could find a used 16/32 cheaper than I new 10/20.

Good luck in whatever you decide and.

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 8:20 PM
First, it is not a toy. I would think about waiting and getting a 16-32 when they have a 15% off sale, if you can possibly find room for it. These sanders do a much better and easier job if you don't have to make two passes and for me too often 10" in just not quite wide enough. Plus the 16-32 is usually much easier to find used if you are interested.

Don Dorn
07-30-2010, 8:33 PM
I guess it depends on what you want to do. I have a friend with a 10-20 and it suits him well. Mostly, he runs face frames through it and some resaw pieces. I have the 16-32 because I bought it used, but I have used the extra capacity a couple of times. I admit that it was nice not to have to run the pieces through twice for each pass.

Lance Norris
07-30-2010, 8:38 PM
I know that the 16-32 would be a better "future proof" machine for me, but I just dont know where I'd put it, I'd have to remove something to do it... and I suppose that would be my lathe, but I hate to do that. I dont use my lathe much, but I want to add this tool, not trade it for another. Bigger is better... I understand, but...

If I had the room, It would be a 22-44.

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 9:00 PM
I know that the 16-32 would be a better "future proof" machine for me, but I just dont know where I'd put it, I'd have to remove something to do it... and I suppose that would be my lathe, but I hate to do that. I dont use my lathe much, but I want to add this tool, not trade it for another. Bigger is better... I understand, but...

If I had the room, It would be a 22-44.

I understand what you mean! To stir the pot a little maybe a rotating stand for the drum and OSS...

I went up the scale to the 22-44 then the 22-44 now I am thinking of jumping up above that. Hopefully, I get my shop finished before I decide on REALLY breaking the bank and getting a wide belt...

Keith Outten
07-30-2010, 9:11 PM
My situation was the opposite of most. I sold my dual drum 24" sander to get the Jet 10-20 several years ago. The 10-20 is the best machine for small parts like plaques and will sand thinner parts than most of the larger machines.

Definately not a toy, it is a real machine that is capable of some serious jobs. I sand Dupont Corian plaques on mine all day long at times and I have had my 10-20 for several years. I mounted mine on a hydraulic table so it can be stored under my table saw or CNC Router out of the way and I can adjust the height in just a few seconds. My Jet Mini-Lathe is also on a hydraulic table for the same reasons.

There are several reviews of this machine in our archives.

Ken Platt
07-30-2010, 9:15 PM
Count me as another satisfied owner. Not a toy at all. I use it all the time, and like it a lot, and would get another in a heartbeat if it broke. As others have posted, the next size up would be nice, but isn't that true for all our tools? Anyhow, I love it for finishing dimensioning figured woods, completely eliminates the tear-out problem.

I put mine on a mobile stand, keep the sandpaper rolls (don't get precut, cutting your own is simple and much much cheaper) underneath.

Ken

Joe Kaufman
07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Had the use of a 16-32 for a year and a half. Bought a 10-20 to replace it. I never really used the full 16 inch width. Have more trouble with the belt tracking on the small one than I ever did on the 16-32. Guess I need to try another conveyor belt.

The Rockler manager said that they sell about 4X as many 10 in. belts as they do 16 in. - for whatever that's worth...

Joe

Lance Norris
07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
OK... that helps alot. Thanks for the comments. Looks like another purchase in the near future.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-31-2010, 12:45 AM
One thing to consider, is the 16/32 comes with a stand and tables. (at least my Performax did, it may have been a special promo) I mounted cheapo locking swivel casters. Moves around easy. If you were to add tables and stand, the 10/20 gets real close to the price of the 16/32. Well, way back then it was 200 bucks less for the 10/20.

Rick Potter
07-31-2010, 3:21 AM
Could you elaborate on those 'hydraulic tables' a bit? I am not quite sure what you mean. Maybe a pic?

Rick Potter

Karl Card
07-31-2010, 3:46 AM
Could you elaborate on those 'hydraulic tables' a bit? I am not quite sure what you mean. Maybe a pic?

Rick Potter

kinda what i was thinking..... i want to add a radial arm saw to my shop, dont know why, but you know how tha goes... but here soon i am going to have to start stacking or build a shop out back...hmmmm i like that idea to oo...

Mike Cutler
07-31-2010, 7:38 AM
Most definitely not a toy.
Used properly, and within it's design limitations, it is a very accurate, stable, repeatable machine. As is the 16-32.
I have a 36" wide dual drum sander now, but some days I regret selling my 16-32.

Curt Harms
07-31-2010, 8:03 AM
One thing to consider, is the 16/32 comes with a stand and tables. (at least my Performax did, it may have been a special promo) I mounted cheapo locking swivel casters. Moves around easy. If you were to add tables and stand, the 10/20 gets real close to the price of the 16/32. Well, way back then it was 200 bucks less for the 10/20.

For either machine, I'd build a cabinet on casters. I find an enclosed cabinet more useful than the stand--drawers, sliding tray(s)....whatever. I bought my 16-32 before the 10-20 came out. The only disadvantage I can think of to the smaller machine is the inability to sand wider glued-up panels.

Keith Outten
07-31-2010, 8:47 AM
Rick,

Here is a link to a thread of mine about my hydraulic workbench which is a 700 pound model. I use the 300 pound hydraulic tables for my drum sander and mini-lathe and I have one that I use for my heat press. These are as handy an item as you can find in a workshop. They make a killer assembly table because you can adjust the height and just about eliminate bending over while working on a project.

I recommend these highly because they are so versatile and they provide height adjustment in seconds and an opportunity to store tools under other machines in seconds with no setup time when you need to use them.

There are dozens of threads in our archives about hydraulic tables with pictures of mine and other peoples tools mounted. I have a 300 pound model in the sign shop at CNU that I keep a spindle sander/edge sander combo machine on but it isn't fastened to the table. I use that table often to hold up one end of Corian sheets when they are delivered so I can cut them to length. I also use it for moving sign blanks around the shop, i can pile them up on the table top and store them temporarily under the CNC Router as well. Corian sign blanks get very heavy when you have 1 to 2 hundred stacked on a table.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5535&highlight=hydraulic+table

Lance Norris
07-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Well... based on your favorable comments in this thread, I just ordered a new Jet 10-20 from Amazon, including the infeed-outfeed tables. I should have it next week. I am looking forward to adding it to my shop. It sure is nice to be able to ask a question here at the Creek, and in 1 day have the answers I needed. Thanks to all who responded.

Will Overton
07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
... have the answers I needed.

Not to mention, the one you were hoping for. :)

Good luck with it.

Keith Outten
07-31-2010, 5:56 PM
Lance,

Not so fast! You owe us pictures of the sander when it arrives :)
Congrats...

Lance Norris
07-31-2010, 7:24 PM
Lance,

Not so fast! You owe us pictures of the sander when it arrives :)
Congrats...

Sure... I can do that

Lance Norris
08-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Ok... Well, I got home a couple days early and this was waiting for me in the living room. From the pics, Its a Jet 10-20 plus drum sander, and the optional infeed-outfeed tables. Gonna take me a couple days to get it situated and running. This weekend is pretty busy, not sure how much shop time I'm going to get. On the feed belt is the US gold dollar, for scale. I have an open stand from my long sold Hitachi benchtop planer that I'm going to assemble for the 10-20.

Rick Potter
08-07-2010, 2:10 AM
Looking good, Lance,

I have often looked longingly at that baby.

Rick Potter

Rick Potter
08-07-2010, 2:11 AM
Thanks,

Now I remember.

Rick Potter

Will Overton
08-07-2010, 6:31 AM
Looks good. Congratulations Lance!

Joe Kaufman
08-07-2010, 2:15 PM
I was consistently getting a burned build-up on the abrasive at the leading edge of the strip where it goes into the drum and spring clip. I filed the last part of the radius on the drum so the abrasive didn't sit proud of the drum in this area. If you have the same condition, you will soon see it. I did not rempove enough aluminium to affect the balance.

Joe

Dan Karachio
08-07-2010, 4:48 PM
Lance what about Grizzly?

12" at a lower price than the Jet:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Baby-Drum-Sander-Polar-Bear-Series/G0459P

18" for a hundred more + shipping:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-Open-End-Drum-Sander/G0458

Lance Norris
08-07-2010, 5:38 PM
Lance what about Grizzly?

12" at a lower price than the Jet:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Baby-Drum-Sander-Polar-Bear-Series/G0459P

12" maximum capacity vs 20" with 2 passes on the 10-20.

18" for a hundred more + shipping:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-Open-End-Drum-Sander/G0458

Too large of a footprint for my shop. I simply dont have the room for something of this size, although i probably could have fit an 18" into the shop with some creative engineering. I decided the 10-20 would do the jobs I need it to do.

Mark Woodmark
08-08-2010, 8:38 AM
I had the Performax 16/32 for a couple years, the predesessor of the Jet. It had no balls. It wouldnt even sand less than 1/64 inch on a 4 inch wide board without the motor reset kicking out. I wasnt trying to use it as a planer either. I up graded it with in/out feed tables and a better conveyor belt. Neither helped. I have since replaced it with a 26 inch Woodmaster and have been very happy with that machine

Will Overton
08-08-2010, 9:46 AM
Mark,

I don't know if the power is any better, but they now have circuitry that slows the feed rate to prevent popping any breakers.

It doesn't replace my planer, but comes in handy when working with thin stock, and when trying to sneak up on a perfect fit.

Lance Norris
08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I had a chance to run my drum sander today, just a test run, and am amazed how quiet and smooth this machine runs. Obviously its an induction motor, but doesnt seem to have an external capacitor. I also dont hear the click of a centrifugal switch. Can someone explain how this can be? Im just curious... I also want to thank those who commented on this tools quality, here in this thread, which ultimately swayed my decision favorably, to buy the machine. Thanks