PDA

View Full Version : My first "show!"

John Keeton
07-30-2010, 3:55 PM
Well, this will be my first public event!!:cool: Pretty small venue, but my first nonetheless!

The email list will be about 1,000, but I suspect if 25 people show up that would be a lot. At least it will give me an opportunity to see people and get some reaction to my turnings.

The jury session for the Kentucky Guild is scheduled for August 11. I will be submitting the required 5 entries, and I am cautiously hopeful on that.:o To be accepted, and then have this show on the 19th would be great!

I will update this thread and bring it current with some pics after the event - just felt like sharing it a little early.:)

Sean Hughto
07-30-2010, 4:07 PM
Bon chance!

I'm betting on you.

Your stuff is great.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2010, 4:11 PM
Congratulations John!

Well deserved and I'll keep you in my thoughts. You'll do well my friend!

Ken Glass
07-30-2010, 4:45 PM
John,
Congratulations on being accepted into the show. I am sure your work will be accepted and appreciated greatly. It is always fun to have a show and see the reaction of the public at large, and not just your friends, family and colleagues. Don't forget to have pictures taken. You will cherish the evening for a long time. Well Done, John.

charlie knighton
07-30-2010, 4:46 PM
try to jot down your joys and fears before the show and how you feel after the show, reflect on lessons learned, at least it looks like the public will not be able to rub the inside of a hollow form for how well you sanded the inside, or pick it up and look at the bottom and say ah....

good luck for your show, price um high :D

bob svoboda
07-30-2010, 5:16 PM
Congratulations and best of luck John. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

David DeCristoforo
07-30-2010, 5:23 PM
Very cool, John. Your work is certainly worthy of gallery space!

John Hart
07-30-2010, 5:23 PM
I'm stealing your flyer, then photoshopping my name in it, then framing it, and sticking it on my wall.;)

I figure that's the closest I'll ever get.:o

Oh...be sure to get lots of pics of your blue ribbons!:)

Michael James
07-30-2010, 5:29 PM
Best of luck, and remember the old adage, "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". If you don't put it out there, you'll never know.
Rehearsal's over baby!:cool:

Ps - if you can work the Dolly P thing into your marketing you'll get more than 25 fer sure.:eek:

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-30-2010, 5:35 PM
John,
This could be our last chance to talk to you before you become famous. Best of luck. I'm sure you will be a medal winner, especially is Dolly is a judge.
fmr

David DeCristoforo
07-30-2010, 5:54 PM
...it's nice that you got "top billing" over the landscape painter and the "dog lady"...

James Roberts
07-30-2010, 6:10 PM
John, enjoy the experience and the accolades that are sure to follow. Your work speaks for itself. Take the biggest vehicle you have to haul home all the awards. Congrats!:D

Gary Herrmann
07-30-2010, 6:46 PM
Good for you, John.

Good luck at both events. I'm sure you'll do very well.

Alan Trout
07-30-2010, 6:47 PM
That's great and I know everyone will love your work. I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

Of course above all else congratulations!!!

Alan

Mark Hubl
07-30-2010, 6:55 PM
Congrats John. The reception should be interesting and fun. Good luck with the juried entries. I am sure there will be some ribbons coming your way.

John Keeton
07-30-2010, 7:26 PM
Thanks all!! This August 19 reception is just a gallery exhibit that is in the form of a public reception. And, yes, David, I sure am glad I got "top billing" over the "landscape painter" and the "dog lady"!!!:D;) No awards at this show, and all I hope for is to get the word out on my turnings. I don't expect any sales.

The August 11 jury session is actually a big deal. It is the state guild, and would open doors in many areas, including the possibility of having my turnings at some of the state funded Artisan Centers such as the one in Berea KY, as well as some very heavily attended art shows held in various locations throughout the state. No ribbons there either, just acceptance or rejection. I am prepared for either, but would love to be accepted.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2010, 7:43 PM
In my best Will Geer voice "You've come a long way Pilgrim!"

Rob Cunningham
07-30-2010, 7:49 PM
Congratulations John! A well deserved honor. Your work is very gallery worthy and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2010, 7:58 PM
Congrats John. It is well deserved.

John Hart
07-30-2010, 8:13 PM
In my best Will Geer voice "You've come a long way Pilgrim!"

Hey! I love that movie.:D

Baxter Smith
07-30-2010, 8:44 PM
What was it? Last November? Who would have imagined!:) Pretty cool! Would love to be a fly on the wall August 19th. Enjoy the wine/ride!

Pete Jordan
07-30-2010, 8:54 PM
Knock em dead, Kenny!

Don Alexander
07-30-2010, 9:15 PM
anything less than enthusiastic approval just means that there are some people making the decision with NO TASTe :D:D:D

WTG John

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2010, 9:15 PM
John - Congrats on your first show! Hope it is very successful and leads to many many more! Do you have a Beret to wear? I think it is required for featured artists!

Have fun!

Robert McGowen
07-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Good luck, John!

Karl Card
07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I am very happy for you. I am sure that you will do well. You have shown the forum some very nice pieces that I am sure took alot of talent and experience.

Roland Martin
07-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Congratulations John:) There's no question in my mind that doors will open for you from this exposure. I wish you the best, and will be anxious for some follow-up:):)

Tom Sherman
07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Congratulations John, I have confidence in you and your work. You sir are class and are a deffinate shoe in.

gary Zimmel
07-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Congrats John. Well deserved, very well deserved....

David E Keller
07-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Best wishes on the upcoming show and jury session. I'll be shocked if both events don't go extremely well for you.

Michelle Rich
07-31-2010, 7:54 AM
John, if Ky doesn't accept you they are idiots and blind to boot. Good luck and bask in the glory... (but be prepared : some folks are just nasty at shows..)

Tim Rinehart
07-31-2010, 8:21 AM
That's very cool...you must be pumped.
Can't wait to hear how things go.

Jeff Nicol
07-31-2010, 8:48 AM
John, When you say "I doubt there will be any sales" I said the same thing and sold almost $1000.00 on the weekend of the show. Your work is as good as anything I sold that first show that I did, so price them for what you want and let the masses be the judges of your skills, which speak for themselves!

Good luck and congrats!

Jeff

Matt Ranum
07-31-2010, 10:11 AM
From a guy who wanted a lathe to turn a couple spindles to getting top billing at a juried show in less than a year.

That says a lot right there. :)

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Curt Fuller
07-31-2010, 7:06 PM
John, good luck through the jury process. I'm guessing your work will be very well received.

Allen Neighbors
07-31-2010, 7:17 PM
John, that's some truly remarkable good fortune!! You'll do well... none of us doubt that. I predict your eye for detail, your imagination, and your artistry, will get you best of show!! You went for it; now enjoy it!! Congratulations!

Josh Bowman
07-31-2010, 7:57 PM
John,
When I looked at the flyer, my comment was, "that sure is beautiful work"
BTW, I think a Beret would look good on you!:D:D:D

Larry Marley
07-31-2010, 11:07 PM
John,
That is great news. You were an artist long before you touched your first turning tool.
Best of luck!

Larry

Neil Strong
08-01-2010, 12:04 AM
All the best for what I'm sure will be the first of many successful exhibitions.
As for the membership thing, can't think of any craft organisation worldwide, for which you met the residency requirements, where you wouldn't be accepted for membership.

Aaron Wingert
08-01-2010, 1:18 AM
Congrats on the show John. If it doesn't appear too tacky to take pictures at the time, it would be really cool for us to be able to see some pics of your setup at the show.

The whole idea of peoples' admiration of your work has got to have you walking a little taller!

Harvey Ghesser
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
The cream always rises to the top! Congratulations, John!:D:D

John Keeton
08-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks, again, for all the kind comments!! Your support has always meant so much!

... but be prepared : some folks are just nasty at shows..)Just as long as there are no death threats, it will be no worse than what I experience daily!

BTW, I think a Beret would look good on you!:D:D:DMmmmmmmm........probably not really me?!?:rolleyes:

If it doesn't appear too tacky to take pictures at the time, it would be really cool for us to be able to see some pics of your setup at the show.

The whole idea of peoples' admiration of your work has got to have you walking a little taller!Aaron, I certainly will take some pics - hope there are some folks there other than me!

And, walking taller would be nice - at 5'7", I will take all the help I can get!:D

Paul Douglass
08-01-2010, 12:13 PM
You sure your are not really Kenny Rogers? That's about how tall he is maybe he is shorted. If I had your talent I'd be 6'7" or more. Now I'm 5'7" also but don't care, both feet reach the ground.

Good luok on the show. I just can't see how you won't be a success. You have natural talent no doubt. I'm thinking you should sign some of those fliers and send the to forum members. I'd hang it and say, "I knew him when he did his first show" , seriously.

James Combs
08-01-2010, 4:08 PM
Congrats John, good luck and no doubt you will have fun.

Brendan Stemp
08-01-2010, 6:44 PM
Congratulations on your first show. Big or small, successful or otherwise you should be proud of this achievement because it takes a lot (hard work and gumption) to do something like this.

Roger Chandler
08-01-2010, 8:04 PM
Congratulations John!

What a wonderful opportunity for you, and I am sure there will be many favorable comments from those who see your work!

One question though......When you become famous, do all us creekers get to say "yeah, but I knew him when"

Great work, well deserved recognition!

Blessings! :)

ed hoxter
08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
good luck on your show john, i really like your work. theres going to be alot of people pleasently surprised, and impressed. i"ll be coming by your way this week-end, were doing the yard sale thing. ed

John Keeton
08-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Roger and Paul, I don't expect any of this will change my life dramatically, but it does increase the "fun factor!" The creek will always be home - no matter what!

Ed, I assume you are referring the the US 127 Yard Sale!! I have never done that, though it is apparently unbelievable. You will be several miles from where we are, but if you have some extra time give me a shout!

ed hoxter
08-02-2010, 9:44 PM
john, if you like yard sales it's alot of fun. this will be our second trip on rt 127, can't wait to get there. we will be in frankfort sat. evening and sunday morning. will try to get in touch. best of luck on your show! ed

John Beaver
08-02-2010, 11:49 PM
John,
Congratulations on the Gallery show.

I had my first Gallery show (similar to yours with a painter also) in the middle of May. A lot of family and friends showed up for the opening, and I got great comments, lots of kudos, but not a lot of sales -- we did price them on the higher side. I admit I went home kind of disappointed that my friends didn't support me.

Two months later we have sold most of the show, and I'm developing customers who will probably buy more in the future; which in the long run is better then friends who would only buy because they know me.

Enjoy your opening, and keep an open mind because you never know where it will lead. I think you're off to a fantastic start.

Neil Strong
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
- we did price them on the higher side

[snip]

Two months later we have sold most of the show, and I'm developing customers who will probably buy more in the future; which in the long run is better then friends who would only buy because they know me.

If you don't value your work, others won't. You tell potential buyers the value of your work by the price.

Biggest trap for first timers is to undervalue their work. Your gallery director can help you strike an appropriate starting price point.

Your right John, even if all your friends and family bought out your first exhibition they won't be back to carry you in future shows. You have to establish your wider clientele sooner or later.

Kirk Miller
08-03-2010, 1:18 AM
John I am sure you will do fine, so fine as a matter of fact they are going to have to come up with some new awards after you walk away with top honors