PDA

View Full Version : Delta 17-959l vs. Steel City 17" Drill Press

Josh Brouse
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
well, I'm wondering what the majority of the people here would buy

The Delta (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021039/24044/Delta-17-Laser-Drill-Press.aspx?refcode=05INFROO) $579 or the Steel City (http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=4&tool=20525) $599.

The key differences that I can see is:

delta - great table and low speed
Steel City - 6" quill stroke and variable speed

I can buy or build a table for the SC.

glenn bradley
07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
My dad has the Delta. My brother went with one too after returning his PM2800. I was after the Steel City when a great deal on a lower end Delta came along. I wish I would have gotten the 959 as well after using theirs.

Jay Jolliffe
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I have the steel city. I like the 6" quill travel....Mines not the VS....Wish it was but when I bought this they didn't have it yet.

Nathan Allen
07-30-2010, 5:40 PM
Very tough call

Steel City
Strongest Feature: Quill depts
Biggest Weakness: Availability of Parts

Delta
Strongest Feature: Table
Biggest Weakness: Changing Speeds cumbersome

I'm not even in the same range since I have a Ridgid DP1550, but I think you have the best two in class there.

Derek Hansen
07-30-2010, 5:55 PM
It's all about the quill travel. I have the older non-VS Steel City and I love it.

Greg R Bradley
07-30-2010, 6:27 PM
After spending a fair amount of time looking at numerous drill presses and buying/returning the Powermatic, I think it is a good idea to look at the actual drill press and make sure everything is OK. I spent the time with the PM2800 measuring run out with a dial indicator but failed to make sure it went slow enough - the spec says 400 and it actually only went down to an indicated 440, which was an actual 520. I also failed to make sure the table raise/lower mechanism worked well. If I had done both of those things, I could have saved the effort of hauling it home and unloading, then reloading it by myself. I think there is too much quality variation from machine to machine when compared to the older US made equipment. I put too much faith in the quality of the Powermatic based upon the quality of a friends shop full of Powermatic equipment made 10 years ago. The table itself is very nice but the height adjustment is simply poor, about like the cheap Delta/Porter Cable stuff at Lowes/Home Depot.

Delta has a new 6" travel drill press - 18-900L. I looked at the first one on the floor last week. It looks much like the 17-959 except is 18" and has a slightly larger base. Table is very similar.

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 8:28 PM
After spending a fair amount of time looking at numerous drill presses and buying/returning the Powermatic, I think it is a good idea to look at the actual drill press and make sure everything is OK.

I say the same thing I have looked at a TON of DPs and their is not a manufacturer of sub $1000 DPs that has high enough QC for me to order one or buy one not set up, period. My current top of the list is the PM2000, about 60% of them meet my standards, overall the Asian imports are sitting at about 50% being acceptable.

Rich Neighbarger
07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Run out... a DP is worthless if it doesn't spin the bit straight. It will be hit and miss finding one in this price range.

As well, is the quill solid and free from lateral movement at full stroke? If it is sloppy when new, imagine 5 years down the road. Then again, your tates may differ.

How much flex is in the column? Most DP's in this price range are very springy which alows vibration to resonate through the tool. No big deal for some, others find it annoying.

All this being said, I'd save my money a little while longer.

John Williamson
07-31-2010, 12:56 PM
I've had the Steel City for a couple of years now and have been very happy with it. Made a table out of scraps and it works well. I was able to get it for $449 at the WW show when I bought it.

scott vroom
07-31-2010, 1:06 PM
I say the same thing I have looked at a TON of DPs and their is not a manufacturer of sub $1000 DPs that has high enough QC for me to order one or buy one not set up, period. My current top of the list is the PM2000, about 60% of them meet my standards, overall the Asian imports are sitting at about 50% being acceptable.

Van, what would you expct to pay for a drill press that meets your quality standard? Any brands/models you'd consider on a big budget?