PDA

View Full Version : Making a handle for a broadhead axe

Jim Paulson
07-30-2010, 9:37 AM
At a garage sale recently I acquired a broadhead axe minus the handle:D. Any suggestions on where I might find information on making an offset handle? Alternatively, I might buy one. Any thoughts on doing either.

Jim

Andrew Gibson
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Hmmm...
If I were going to try to make one I would start with a piece of Hickory.
Keep in mind grain pattern when choosing the wood. I would think you would want quarter sawn.

Shape the head end until it is a snug fit.
Shape the rest of the handle to your liking.
Finish it with something like BLO.
Install on axe head and wedge with a couple wedges.

That's what I would do. As long as you have a good picture of what you want and make the tenon fit nicely I would think that is all that matters.

That being said I have never made an axe handle.

george wilson
07-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I made a handle years ago. I offset the handle by soaking it in hot water for a few hours. Then,I clamped the portion near the head on a 2" high block of wood mounted on a stout plank. It did not have to be glued down,just sat on the plank. Then,I clamped the rest of the handle down to the plank about 1' away from the other clamp. This enabled a gentle offset to be made on the handle. I left it several days to dry out and take a good set. The offset is to clear your hand when hewing the side of a log.

Do not let the iron clamp pad come into contact with the handle. It may discolor the wood. Put a piece of wood under the pad.

Mike Davis NC
07-30-2010, 10:49 AM
The offset should be steam bent or found growing curved in the tree, never cut to shape. The grain must follow the curve. The grain should also line up with the direction of impact. In other words the growth rings should be aligned with the head, not 90° or any angle to the head.

Tom McMahon
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
+ what Mike said it is easier to use rived green Hickory.

george wilson
07-30-2010, 2:54 PM
Actually,there are different kinds of broad head axes. How wide is your blade? The real wide ones are for hewing logs square. If your axe is only,say,5" wide,it doesn't need a bent handle.

If you make a green wood handle,it will shrink for about a year,and may get too small for the eye of the axe. I'd rive it out,bend it if necessary,leaving it oversize,and let it dry. I had no trouble soaking my handle and bending it.

Jim Paulson
07-30-2010, 4:29 PM
Thanks George.

Here are a couple pics that might shed some light on what I've got:). She has about 12.5 inches of blade.

Jim

Mike Davis NC
07-30-2010, 4:56 PM
Yep, that's a broad ax!

A good citrus soak or electrolysis would do it a world of good.

I'd love to see it when you have it cleaned up, rehung and sharpened.

Jim Paulson
07-30-2010, 6:04 PM
I should have asked you folks for advice on the dimensions for the handle blank;). Since the eye is about 7/8" by 2 5/8", I'm figuring that the handle length might ideally be about 24 inches in length. I say that based on a broad axe I saw (p.39) in Tools:Working Wood in Eighteenth-Century America, by James M. Gaynor and Nancy Hagedorn.

It would also make sense that the handle length, shape, and style would be individualized based on use.

Jim

george wilson
07-30-2010, 6:13 PM
That's about right,though log hewing wasn't something I practiced much at all. Saw it going on a lot,though. The handle I made was for a broad axe head I handled for the past president of the museum,not something I used.

Jim Paulson
07-30-2010, 6:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be sure to post the broad axe it when I get it handled.

George,
I am still hoping to someday make one of those beautiful small brass shoulder planes like you made a while back.

Take care,
Jim
Jim