PDA

View Full Version : Delta, Jet or General mini/midi

Tony Kent
07-30-2010, 5:54 AM
Hello all,
Long time no see to many of you and hello to the new folks.
Hope ya'll have been doing well.
Now a question, I am back up here in WA. state (Gig Harbor/Tacoma area) and looking to teach a few family members wood turning. We have decided on a mini/midi lathe.....of course the jet 1220 , Delta 12 and 1/2 and the general 14 inch mini/maxi lathe looks interesting too.....question is which one? And where do I buy? I know the jet has been around a bit now and the quality is documented. The Delta has had great reviews and the general I haven't found anything except a video in japanese that looks just like the general lathe.....all are in the same price range unless anyone knows of a sale somewhere that i am missing? Since I own the Delta 16 inch that some might remember I smashed my little finger with a coupla years I ago I still lean towards the Delta, but at this point price and what ya'll think will help me make the decision. For those of you that do remember my accident with my headstock, yep still have the tip of my little finger(although it hurts in cold weather etc) and haven't forgot that our tools are dangerous even when not turned on, so ya'll be safe out there. Oh and P.S. If anyone up here in WA state knows where to get green wood send me a message please:) I am a fish out of water even though the puget sound is all around me...lol
Sorry so long winded,
Take care all and thanks,
Tony

Donny Lawson
07-30-2010, 6:17 AM
Tony,
I would go with the Delta 46-460 in a midi lathe. I have one and several others on here have one also and it's a great machine.I make alot of pens and bowls pretty much everyday and no complaints yet.Let me look this evening on the paperwork where I bought mine. I got it for 530.00 w/shipping.
The belts are very easy to change and the VS and reverse is a big plus.
Donny

Steve R Baker
07-30-2010, 6:50 AM
I have both the Jet & Delta. I use the Delta by for the most now, and love it. Have had very good luck with the Delta. About the only thing I use the Jet for now is pens.

Gary Max
07-30-2010, 8:32 AM
Delta 46-460------5 year warranty

John Keeton
07-30-2010, 9:01 AM
Tony, your participation here was before my "round time" on SMC, so welcome back from an old former flatworker!

I would get the 46-460 - no question. Sweet lathe.

Peter Lamb
07-30-2010, 9:50 AM
I have had on since December 09. Love it It has done all I expected and more. Great tech support at Delta.

Bill Bulloch
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
There is an article in the Fall 2010 issue of Woodturning Design that compares the Dalta 46-460 and the Jet 12-20. The Author, Bill Blaic, recommends the Delta 46-460. He also mentions that Penn State Industires hasa a new 12" VS, 1 hp lathe that shares similar features for just $399.00. You might want to look into that too. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

I have the Delta 46-460 and love it.

Dusty Fuller
07-30-2010, 5:57 PM
I have the General 25-200, and have no complaints. I bought mine in 2007 when they weren't as expensive as they are now. From what I have heard there were some electrical changes (and perhaps other changes) between mine and the newer ones, but I've been very pleased with its performance and have had no problems whatsoever. But if I were purchasing now, I would lean heavily towards the Delta out of price if nothing else. It looks like a winner.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2010, 8:01 PM
Delta 46-460. 1 hp and a sweet lathe.

Clint Baxter
07-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I picked up the Delta 46-460 and sold my Jet. Haven't regretted it in the least. Easy belt changes, variable speed, 1 hp and reverse. Bought mine shortly after they first came out and they threw in Delta's G3 chuck made by Nova. Might have to get the bed extension for longer stuff, but it will do pens, bowls and decent sized tool handles straight out of the box. Tough to beat.

Clint

John Keeton
07-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Tony, I should have mentioned, ToolNut is where I bought my Delta, and as I recall, there were several creekers that got in on a tremendous sale they had at the time. It may be worthwhile to check with Sean Ackerman to see what they have going. Sean is also a Friend of the Creek.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-31-2010, 12:54 AM
I have the Jet 10" mini, and if the Delta was out back then I would have bought that. The Delta has everything the Jet lacks. Except for that cool white color. The Jet 12/20 is no slouch though..... Either will be fine IMO.

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2010, 1:29 AM
Not much a woodturner myself but surprised with all the praise for Delta. Know the JET was always considered the top unit in the past.

Whats is the word on the Rikon unit. Know it got good reviews in a magazine a couple of years ago.
http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-70-100-12-by-16-Inch-Mini-Lathe/dp/B002FB74YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1280553987&sr=8-1

Tony Kent
08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Hello all,
Thanks to all of you for the great posts. To save money I didn't buy the Delta 12 and 1/2 and because I already own the Delta 16 inch I bought the HF 34706 which saves money for other items that my family can keep with this lathe once they learn some basics etc. I chose this way because most my tools are in storage at the moment in CA and I am here in WA state. Anywho.....If anyone up here in the Tacoma/Gig harbor area have some wood or know where to get green wood please let me know. I know the entire area is green green green with trees....sure is pretty up in this part of the country. Thanks again for all the great advice and it was hard not to pull the trigger on the small delta. Its a nice little lathe so who knows maybe in the future I will have one....lol can't have to many lathes and tools right?
Take care and safe turning.

Jim Meyer
08-08-2010, 6:47 PM
Tony- If it counts my vote is the Delts46-460. I'm waiting for mine to come in. Jim