PDA

View Full Version : X5 Notes

Bob Davis
07-30-2010, 4:19 AM
I have recently upgraded all of our computers to Win 7 with Corel X5. Unfortunately I have discovered a problem with this combination.

Previous versions of Windows with Corel have allowed a comment to be saved with each file. I often used this to indicate material or special engraving factors for the particular job and I have many thousands of Coreldraw files that were saved with a comment (such as "Black Rowmark, white writing" or "3mm clear acrylic")

Using X4 with Vista I discovered that the dialogue area had been removed, but I was able to work around this by running X4 under XP mode. This was achieved by simply right-clicking the program and changing the properties to suit, and worked like a charm. All the dialogue and comments returned!

Now that I have put a lot of time, money and effort into getting the new programs up and running I have discovered that XP mode is not available on Win 7 Home Premium (my software) but can be applied with the Ultimate or Professional versions after downloading an extra program.

I have many thousands of .cdr files with important comments attached that I cannot access...

Does anybody know of a method to access these notes? If I upgrade Win 7 to Professional ($200 x 2) will the dialogue box be available under XP mode?

For future use I guess I'll have to put some text into the actual file before saving, but that doesn't help with the older files. Can you suggest a better system?

Roy Brewer
08-01-2010, 9:33 PM
Previous versions of Windows with Corel have allowed a comment to be saved with each file. I often used this to indicate material or special engraving factors for the particular job and I have many thousands of Coreldraw files that were saved with a comment (such as "Black Rowmark, white writing" or "3mm clear acrylic")

Using X4 with Vista I discovered that the dialogue area had been removed, but I was able to work around this by running X4 under XP mode. This was achieved by simply right-clicking the program and changing the properties to suit, and worked like a charm. All the dialogue and comments returned!?Bob,

File>Document Properties... Doesn't that do all you need, and more?

Till you get used to it, you'll probably think it is an additional step, but there are some significant advantages to stepping up to the current technology and Corel's obvious direction toward Corel CONNECT & 64bit computing. While CONNECT is a pain in the rear compared to ROMCat at the current time, I think I see where we're going with it and I like it.

Bob Davis
08-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Roy,
You're a legend! Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge, I never thought to look there.
The extra step is a bit painfull, but at least it works.
I wonder if it's possible to have the information come up automatically
each time a file is opened? A macro of some sort perhaps?

Roy Brewer
08-03-2010, 12:16 AM
The extra step is a bit painfull, but at least it works.
I wonder if it's possible to have the information come up automatically each time a file is opened? A macro of some sort perhaps?Bob,

That's a terrific idea. Certainly possible to implement an open macro and a Save macro which combines all the things in which we're interested. I think I can do that, but I have no idea when I'd get time to code it. Shaddy or Carl are you listening? {I don't think either of them have upgraded to X5.}