PDA

View Full Version : Acceleorator for pens

Donny Lawson
07-29-2010, 9:27 PM
.Where is a good place to buy this stuff at? I checked at my local woodcraft and it was $15.00 a can.It sounded a little high to me. I've never used it but would like to when I use my CA with pens.
.Also I would like a single mold for Poly Resin. 3/4" square x 5".Any help there would be great too.I would make my own but no time plus I don't know how.Thanks
Donny

David E Keller
07-29-2010, 9:56 PM
I get all of my CA glue and accelerator from Monty at wooden wonders. Just google wooden wonders for his website. He has the best prices I've found, and free shipping is available for order that exceed a certain dollar amount.

No affiliation with him or the site, but I've ordered several times with no mishaps.

David Christopher
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
+1 for wooden wonders....Ive used them several times, the prices cant be beat and the customer service is great

Michael James
07-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Donny
I checked my can of accelerator and paid ~ 13$ at WC in December. There's still plenty left and I've made a few dozen pens, and used to CA all the tubes in. Also used the accelerator on the rare CA finish, but not that often. No difference if you wait.

PSI sells the poly resin "cast a kit" but you have to buy the whole thing which is expensive if you just need the mold.

I dont shop exclusively anywhere, but unless Im buying the min for "free" shippiing, a couple of bucks for instant gratification is worth it.

Good luck. Im sure someone here knows what the mold material is made with.
mj

James Combs
07-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Donny, I have used WC accelerator and have found it lacking. I prefer Rockler's version. There is more in the can and it costs less. The only advantage I saw to WC's is that it smelled better. Rockler's is faster acting and you don't have to use as much.

All that being said I am going to check out Wooden Wonders as mention by some of the guys above.

Donny Lawson
07-30-2010, 6:29 AM
I pulled up Wooden Wonders and now added it to my favorites.They do have great prices.Now if we could get them to add pen kits and other pen supplies at those prices I would be all over that.
Donny

Derek Voigt
07-30-2010, 8:17 AM
I don't care for the pump bottle of accelerator.... I prefer to use the aerosol style. I bought my just one from PSI and it took me a year to go through it.

Paul Douglass
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I buy from Woden Wonders and like the prices and service. I've used both aerosol and pump. I have to say I prefer the aerosol, because it puts out a finer mist which I think applies it more evenly. It is what I will buy again after I use up the pump. This stuff may seem expensive but a can lasts a long time.

Alan Trout
07-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with others Monte over at Texas Wooden Wonders. http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html Great guy, great prices, and great service. I prefer the pump bottle for my CA applications.

Good Luck

Alan

Rob Wachala Jr
07-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I would agree with couple of the other guys. I buy my CA from Monty at wooden treasurers. He's out of town at the moment though so if you order today he wont be shipping until he gets back. As for accelerator I have been using aerosol. I may try Monty pump spray since it's a good price but I think an aerosol would have a better spray pattern.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2010, 8:03 PM
Wooden Wonders has the best IMHO.

Billy Tallant
07-31-2010, 3:46 AM
Can't beat Wooden Wonders on their prices.

sam upton
07-31-2010, 5:43 AM
Another vote for Monte. I just picked up some at his home 2 weeks ago after our pen turners gathering. What I did, on Monte's suggestion, was to buy a refillable aerosol can that you recharge with pumping it up with your air compressor. I got mine at Harbor Freight.
SAMhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

kenneth walker
07-31-2010, 10:35 AM
our club gets all our stuff from e-zbond.com there is a min order.