PDA

View Full Version : Oneway 1224 or Nova DVR XP or ???

Mark Woodmark
07-29-2010, 6:59 PM
I plan to turn spindle shapes up to about 32 inches long and bowl shapes up to approximately 10 to 12 inches in diameter maybe more if I had the capacity. The Oneway comes with stand but less HP than the Nova. Also no swivel head and belt drive. Seems to have great reputation though. The Nova stand is extra and doesnt have a good reputation for stability. Nova does have swivel head (is this a big deal?), more swing, more HP, and direct drive. I also plan to add a bed extension and a chuck to either one. Which one would you purchase? Or would you recommend something else. Budget is $3000.00 max for all listed

http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Nova%20_DVRXP.htm

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 7:16 PM
I plan to turn spindle shapes up to about 32 inches long and bowl shapes up to approximately 10 to 12 inches in diameter maybe more if I had the capacity. The Oneway comes with stand but less HP than the Nova. Also no swivel head and belt drive. Seems to have great reputation though. The Nova stand is extra and doesnt have a good reputation for stability. Nova does have swivel head (is this a big deal?), more swing, more HP, and direct drive. I also plan to add a bed extension and a chuck to either one. Which one would you purchase? Or would you recommend something else. Budget is $3000.00 max for all listed

I would much rather go with a Jet 16/42 or a Grizzly G0698, and use the extra $$$ for chucks, gouges, or maybe a vacuum system.

charlie knighton
07-29-2010, 7:21 PM
+1 on jet 1642, just my opinion, your $, i had swivel head on previous lathe, really did not use it, if you want to turn outboard on 1642, move headstock to tailstock end

Alan Trout
07-29-2010, 7:25 PM
I would go with the DVR XP It has more capacity and more versatility. I love mine. It is coming to the time of year that they usually go on sale as well. Typically they can be had in the $1600 range and many times other goodies come with it. Nothing against the Oneway which I have had the opportunity to use. It is a fine little lathe but just does not have the capacity. and I bet when you get going you will want to do bigger items.

Here is a thread that I started on mine and the stand that I built. I teach at our local woodcraft and get to use the Jet 1642. I still much prefer my DVR. I guess it is what you get use to.

Good Luck

Alan

Andrew Kertesz
07-29-2010, 8:31 PM
Depending on where you are, someone posted a link for a Oneway 1224 w/extension and some other goodies in Hilton Head Island for $1000.00. If it is still available that leaves a lot of extra cash for goodies...

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2010, 8:47 PM
I have the Nova DVR XP and love it. I don't know where the does not have a reputation came from because mine doesn't move. I turned on both the DVR and Jet 1642 and much prefer the DVR.

Paul Douglass
07-29-2010, 9:26 PM
Oneway for me if I had athe cash. If you get a Nova you will probably have to get it repaired first thing..... sorry couldn't resist.

Reed Gray
07-29-2010, 10:49 PM
In comparison, the Nova has a LOT more torque than the Oneway. This is more important on bowls than on spindles. With the pivoting headstock, to me the important thing is that when you pivot the headstock, you don't have to bend over or reach out a long way to turn the bowl. Other than that, it does give you the ability to turn larger diameter, though you will most likely seldom use it for that. I do prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting one. Just much more experience with a sliding headstock. With a pivoting headstock, the only coring system that you can use when the headstock is pivoted is the McNaughton, which is the coring system I prefer. I do find the speed control on the Nova a bit of a pain. You can preset 4 or 5 speeds. Other than that, you have a very slow ramp up or down push button. A variable speed is much better for me. I have found that I use the entire range of speeds (I am a production turner). You really should consider the Jet. I would opt for the 2 hp model to the 1.5 hp one.

robo hippy

Allen Neighbors
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Only one answer for a quandary like this... Both!! :eek::D;)

neil mackay
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Only one answer for a quandary like this... Both!!

:D simple enough, shoulda thought of it myself

Jim Sebring
07-30-2010, 12:20 AM
I bought my DVR xp from Woodcraft in their October, 2008 sale. I thought I really wanted a Mustard Monster, but have since decided I bought the right machine for what I do. The swivel head is a big deal when turning the insides of bowls.

I bought the whole nine yards. I have the cast iron leg set (bolted to the concrete floor, thank you), the hinge, and the extended ways. This rig doesn't move! All up cost was close to $2500.

Negatives: I don't like the speed control mechanism. I would much prefer a vernier speed knob to the membrane push buttons, even with the 5 presets. The controls are on the wrong side of the "line of fire" and there is no way to easily do a panic kill if things go wrong. Lots of users have complained about these two limitations. It seems like the folks in N.Z. don't listen to their customers very closely, since no improvements seem to be forthcoming.

With the exceptions listed above, I like the machine. It doesn't stall with a squealing belt shutdown if you get too aggresive; it just gracefully stops rotating until you hit 'RUN' again.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-30-2010, 12:36 AM
IMO you should just bit the big bullet and get the mustard monster.:D Not that I can afford one. Wish I could though.

Steve Kubien
07-30-2010, 9:25 AM
DVR XP, no question... My turning mentor/guru/guide turns 30-40 hours per week on his as part of his full-time job. He's been using it for 6 years (Nova DVR, not an XP because it didn't exist at that time). He's had zero issues. Unless some significant money comes my way, it will be my next lathe.

Swivel headstock is really nice. I often turn pieces 16"+ on my Nova 1624, start them outboard and then bring them back inboard as soon as I can. I have only just started turning hollowforms with the headstock swivelled towards me and I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Yeah, you either need to buy or build a stand for the Nova but that's not really a big deal or big expense. In my shop, with it's lack of space and flat-work tools, I would probably buy the cast iron legs. I think the hybrid Nova stand which comes with the Nova 1624 is a piece of junk which needs serious beefing up (I have done so with mine).

Remember something else... While the Jet 1642 and PM3520 have sliding headstocks and you can turn bowls and such off the end, space becomes and issue for most of us. You would need 3 to 4 feet of space for you and your gouges off the end of the lathe. THAT means around 9 or 11 feet of total length for the lathe and you. With the DVR XP, with the bed extension, you are looking at around 5 -6 feet. Oh, and to turn off the end, you would also need space away from wall so you can swing your gouge. If your lathe is down the middle of the room, it's no issue.

The Oneway brand is world-class. Lots of folks end up getting Oneway banjos for their lathes and the headstock construction is top-notch. 12" swing would be a deal breaker for me. The outboard side of the 1224 would be useless to me as I believe it is threaded 3/4" x 16tpi, not the 1" x 8tpi as the inboard end. On the plus side, the Oneway will probably hold its value better than just about anything else. Service is also great from Oneway (as it is with Nova via Tim Geist).

So for me, in my situation, it would be the Nova, hands-down with no need to even think about it. Of course, I've already got a "free" bed extension because I would take half of the bed from my 1624 and add it on to a DVR XP and keep the headstock as in insurance policy some where down the road, or set it up as a buffer.

Wow, I'm long winded this morning....

Steve

Michael Mills
07-30-2010, 9:43 AM
Another + for the Nova. I really like the swivel headstock but that may be because I would be very cramped in my shop trying to turn from the end of the lathe (currently the right legs are about 4" from the wall).
Mike

Richard Madden
07-30-2010, 9:53 AM
Oneway for me if I had athe cash. If you get a Nova you will probably have to get it repaired first thing..... sorry couldn't resist.

My Nova will be three years old in Oct. Never had a problem, in fact, I'm still using the original belt. Very happy with mine, and it's used a lot. Couldn't resist this either.

Paul Douglass
07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
My Nova will be three years old in Oct. Never had a problem, in fact, I'm still using the original belt. Very happy with mine, and it's used a lot. Couldn't resist this either.

Well, it looks like I'm out voted anyway. Referring to repair, I was thinking of the problems I have read lately, and it happened to my friend, where the lathe would get some kind of a fault and stop. The circuit board had to be sent in and upgraded or something. A known problem that Nova, in my opinion, should do a retro fix of by notifying the customers and giving instructs on how to get it fixed if it occurs. It does get fixed though and I have yet to read about an unhappy DVR owner.

That all being said. I'm in love with the Oneways and when I win the Lotto I will have one! And of coarse a big shop to put it in.

I have a Nova 1624 which of coarse in not the lathe the DVR is. Good lathe but not a great lathe. I do not have a problem with the belt changing and the speeds available definitely meet my needs, but it just doesn't turn as smooth as I would like. Sort of a rattle to it.

Larry Marley
07-30-2010, 1:14 PM
I turned on a Nova DVR for 4.5 hours at the Orange County Fair a couple days ago. It has plenty of torque, but I find it to be frustrating to use.
First, the headstock speed changes take FOREVER....
with a Frequency drive like the 1642, you can make minor changes to speed in 2 seconds, by turning the knob. On the DVR you have to push and hold the up or down button for several seconds to get minor changes. The DVR does have pre-sets to jump in course increments. The bed is fairly light, even mounted on a bench, it does have movement with larger off balance turnings. The Tool rest is so wide and shallow, that my hand is forced back away from the pivot point, leaving me with less fine control. A Robust tool rest would be a good fix for this. The banjo was easy to reposition and lock, but I would prefer the tool rest lock to be on the side, rather than in front as it feels awkward when making adjustments. Replacing the lock handle with a ratcheting type like on the Jet would help with this. Finally, I have read enough (anecdotal) stories about DVR electrical failures on-line, to be concerned.
I make these observations coming from hundreds of hours on a 3520, and I have developed habits base on that design. So, take my opinion with a grain of sawdust.
My vote is for the Jet 1642-EVS.

Steve Peterson
07-30-2010, 2:51 PM
Woodcraft seems to run a sale on the Nova about once a year. If I recall, it was something like $300 off the 1624 and $500 off the DVR. The sale should be coming up again in a few months.

Steve

Alan Trout
07-30-2010, 3:06 PM
There have been plenty of story's as well of motor failures on the 2hp 1642 and alignment issues between the head and tailstock. But those seem to never be mentioned as well as the alignment issues. My point is yes there can be problems with either and when there is both get taken care of with little effort by both companies.

Far as use of the DVR vs. the 1642 Jet. I did not like at first the way the DVR system changed speeds. but what I noticed is there were certain RPM's that I used most and just set my presets to those and I was done. I don't even have a problem with it anymore and really like it. It also sounds like later this year early next year there will be the long awaited remote available for the DVR. Another nice feature of the DVR is the circuitry that senses catches and shuts the machine down. When you are a new turner this can really save you bacon. I really like the swivel head. I typically only use it when I hollow bowls but is just makes turning a bowl very comfortable. Also if you have tight space it does save on that as well. I also really like the fact that the DVR free wheels and turns so easy with no power. Great for spot sanding on pieces etc.

The DVR stability is fine as long as the stand is substantial. This IMHO is an advantage because this gives you flexibility for your specific needs. Not everyone is going to turn 100lb. pieces of wood. Also the cast iron legs are pretty dang stable. I would argue that mine is every bit as stable as a PM 3520B, but my stand is not the typical stand either. I have put chunks of wood on mine close to 100lbs. without any issue. And in the future I could see doing even heavier pieces. If anyone is ever in SA just give me a ring and you are more than welcome to my messy shop. But just be prepared for the mess.

I use a 1642 several hours every month when I teach and have developed my opinions from that use. What I don't like is the hand wheel. It is horrible and just not comfortable to use. I also dislike the tool rest but not anymore that what I dislike in the Nova rest either. I dislike having to change belts for different speed ranges. This is however really an issue for heavier items. I do not like the self ejecting tailstock. Most of my #2 morse tapers are to long so you cannot use the full travel of the quill. It keeps ejecting what I have in the tailstock. I do not care for the banjo on the 1642. It just not work as well as the one on the DVR. However I do wish the one on the DVR was a tad longer when the head was swiveled. Also the 1642 is not nearly as smooth as the DVR. For me this seems to help when doing delicate spindle work. However the 1642 is still a fine lathe that would serve most needs very well I just like my DVR better.

I could see me buying another lathe in the future but not sure what it would be. I have thought about a dedicated bowl lathe such as a VB36 or even the Vega, A Stubby might be cool and if the Vicmarc VL600 comes out it looks to be the monster of all lathes. I might even make my own. But so fare the Nova has done everything that I have ask of it so I am in no real hurry.

Good Luck

Alan

Mark Woodmark
07-30-2010, 6:21 PM
Thanks to all for the input. At this time I am leaning towards the Nova. Mostly because of the larger capacity and slightly more HP. I like the Oneway and beleive it to be a better quality machine, but the aboved mentioned is swaying me. Also ther is quite a jump in price from this Oneway and the next model up or I would be looking at it

Steve Kubien
07-31-2010, 2:05 PM
Hey Mark, I don't know what you consider a "slight" jump in horsepower but the Oneway you are looking at is 1hp vs the Nova which is (I believe) 1.75 at 110volts and 2hp at 220volts. I may have those numbers wrong so do check...

Jim Silva
07-31-2010, 3:39 PM
While I can't speak for that particular Oneway model, I do own a DVR XP and have had it for 2 years with no issues.

I have no stability issues with the stand I built for it and never bought the cast iron stand that was available.

The swiveling head is a feature I use constantly both for increasing swing capacity as well as from a comfort and visibility standpoint. My back doesn't like to lean over a bed for extended periods of time. I like the reversible function also. Great for sanding or sheer scraping with a hand held card scraper on troublesome grains.

As for the variable speed settings, yes. Up and down via the buttons is a bit more tedious than with a knob but the presets are fully changeable and I found myself gravitating toward certain speeds I prefer for my production work. 200 & 500 for sanding, 1k, 1.5k and 2.5 k for balanced pieces/finials, pendants and buffing. I work in increments + or - any of those presets for out of round/balanced pieces or diameter considerations.

I also like the lack of belt noise.

Jim