PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Engraving a glass boot

Steve Clarkson
07-29-2010, 6:36 PM
I've been asked to engrave some names and a logo on a glass boot that was bought here:

http://www.northcoteimports.com/Glass-Beer-Boot-1-2-Liter-BK78PL.htm

The problem is it won't fit in my Epilog rotary. So due to the curvature, I can only engrave about 1" wide.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this could be marked? I was even thinking rowmark with a really strong adhesive (they're beer glasses that I doubt will be put in a dishwasher).

Thanks

Dan Hintz
07-29-2010, 7:07 PM
Why won't it fit, too big? If not and you want to spend some time on it, I'd cut two plexi discs with cutouts in the rough shape of the boot's sole and top. The discs are what ride on your rotary's rollers. You'll need to offset the boot within the discs so the small portion you want to etch is roughly similar in distance from the center axis... it won't be pretty, but it would allow you to etch more than a small portion.

Frank Corker
07-29-2010, 8:32 PM
.....and tread carefully !! :D

Ross Moshinsky
07-29-2010, 8:48 PM
I'd media blast it. Otherwise I'd say silk screening would be the next method I'd suggest.

Larry Bratton
07-29-2010, 9:11 PM
I agree with Ross. Cut the mask in your laser, then find someone to sandblast it for you. I am pretty sure Laserbits sells the mask.

Steve Clarkson
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

Dan, I can't build a jig because the toe of the boot is so high that in order to clear the bar that holds the lens on my machine, it would be out of focus......by about 3 inches!

John Noell
07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I do a lot of unevenly curved surfaces (think coconut shells). While I do use a 2.5" lens for slightly greater depth of field. you might be surprised how well you can engrave uneven surfaces with a 2" lens. Being a little out of focus does not matter all that much with many materials.

Dan Hintz
07-30-2010, 6:14 AM
Dan, I can't build a jig because the toe of the boot is so high that in order to clear the bar that holds the lens on my machine, it would be out of focus......by about 3 inches!
<forehead smack> :o

Insert something about forest for the trees here...

Viktor Voroncov
07-30-2010, 7:26 AM
Today is Friday :)
Some time ago was similar work. Customer need engraving on really huge glass item, which not fit our laser. But my engineer said me - I will take this job, I am good service engineer, everything is possible, I can and etc. He spent 4 hours, remove table, make special fixtures, engrave by 1" areas, and did this job! When customer came - look on it and say - "Hey, guys, you did 3 grammatical errors :)"

But customer was good and agree for sticker from LaserLight to cover bad engraving :) Sticker was done for free :(

paul mott
07-30-2010, 7:49 AM
Nice one Viktor :D

Paul.

Mike Null
07-30-2010, 7:50 AM
I recently did a dozen 3 liter beer boots but I was lucky and only had to diamond drag pewter shields which I then attached with Loctite glass cement.
( I have 2 machines which could have handled the glass engraving even with that size)

I would use a metal oval and cermark it. Sand carving is the next best option--or maybe the best option.

Larry Bratton
07-30-2010, 9:20 AM
Steve:
Another thing you might consider, if you have access to a plotter, use Oracal 8510 Etched Glass vinyl. I put some of that on a glass door and you could not tell it from sandblasted or etched glass unless you looked really close or felt of it. It is guaranteed for like 7 years outdoors, so it should hold up. http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=203

Viktor Voroncov
07-30-2010, 9:22 AM
Oracal 8510 Etched Glass - dishwashers love this films :)
IMHO - sandblasting is best solution.

Larry Bratton
07-30-2010, 9:33 AM
Oracal 8510 Etched Glass - dishwashers love this films :)
IMHO - sandblasting is best solution.
He said he doubted it would be put in the dishwasher " Quote: (they're beer glasses that I doubt will be put in a dishwasher)."

Viktor Voroncov
07-30-2010, 9:36 AM
Sorry, do not keep attention before :)

Larry Bratton
07-30-2010, 9:50 AM
Sorry, do not keep attention before :)
NP
but..as I formally said..sandblasting would be the best.
If there is only one of them, one might be able to use that etching cream stuff. Craft people use it, I have never tried it, but it looks like it would work.

Steve Clarkson
07-30-2010, 9:50 AM
I suppose I should get a plotter someday......and a vinyl cutter....and a CNC.....and a sandblasting setup.....and a heat press......and silk screening setup.....does it ever end????

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up engraving the front and although it wasn't as big as I had hoped, I think it serves the purpose.

Larry Bratton
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, sub it out. Plotter and vinyl cutter are the same thing, they are cheap now and can make you more money with one than a laser for sure, especially if you consider the investment. CNC is nice to have but requires a lot of space, sandblasting I personally hate, but it has it's place. Heat press..maybe..again you can get them cheap these days and they come in handy from time to time. Screenprinting setup...not NO but heck NO, unless your going to go big time with it. Just my two cents worth. Glad u got your job done.
and besides you said "with many more toys to come....." :)

Andrea Weissenseel
07-30-2010, 3:58 PM
I would have suggested to vertically engrave the side of the boot. Did this on some regular glasses and customers really liked it.

Also you should add a Embroider Machine to your list ;)

There are polyester films with the glass etch effect - for those check with suppliers/shop that do sun shading for cars and building windows, also you can get regular adhesive polyester films - they're not easy to find, but they are available.

Andrea