PDA

View Full Version : Pocket knives

Nathan Talbert
07-29-2010, 1:39 PM
This might be the wrong place to ask this but... Does anyone here collect pocket knives? After all, grandpa's pocket knife was my first woodworking tool.:)

george wilson
07-29-2010, 1:44 PM
I sort of do. Actually,the movers apparently stole about $2000.00 worth of pocket knives from me. Since I was building about 400 feet of shelving in the new shop on week ends,it took a long time to get the new shop together,and it was some years before I got every box unpacked and discovered the missing knife box. So,I can't really report it.

Bruce Haugen
07-29-2010, 1:47 PM
in this recent post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143097&highlight=knife)

Jim Paulson
07-29-2010, 1:56 PM
Nathan,

I have a variety of knives, but one of the challenges these days is that many of the top notch knife makers mostly use stainless steel. I don't carve with anything but carbon steel blades. For convenience, I routinely carry a Swiss Army knife super tinker for quick adjustments.

For sheer beauty, Queen Cutlery knives made in Titusville, PA are top of the line American made pocket knives. They are more pricey that Case knives, but have an abundance of old time quality.

With all that said, I still look for old knives made of carbon steel when I go antiquing.

For knives in general, check out Smokey Mountain Knife Works and you are bound to find something cool there.

Jim

Mike Davis NC
07-29-2010, 3:22 PM
Trevor Ablett in Sheffield, England still make carbon steel pocket knives by hand.

They are great knives and cut very well right out of the box.

http://www.sheffield-cutlery.com/pocketknife.html

Jim Paulson
07-29-2010, 3:39 PM
Hey Mike,

Those pocket knives look pretty cool. I'll that site in mind.

Jim

Nathan Talbert
07-29-2010, 3:58 PM
I'm fond of Hen & Rooster, and my grandpa turned me on to Marbles. Case has a massive following, but I'm not too fond of their new stuff. Virginia Beach, Va, where I live, doesn't have alot to offer as far as antique stores with old tools and knives.

Tony Zaffuto
07-29-2010, 7:46 PM
Try "Collector Knives.net". Great people to deal with! Check out the carbon steel Henckel knives. They're discontinued, but they still have NOS. Best bang for the buck there is. German made, and same as Boker "Tree Brand", but more than a couple of bucks cheaper.

I also like the Queen and Shatt & Morgan Line, as well as Great Eastern Cutlery, and some of the Case carbon steel knives.

Favorite patterns are "whittlers", "2-blade stockmans" and "barlows".

I DON'T COLLECT THEM!!!!!! (just accumulated a few dozen or so).

george wilson
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
The first of the new generation Marbles knives were made in USA,I think,and I know they have 1095 carbon steel blades,which would get nice and sharp. But now,all of them are Chinese,and mostly stainless. Anyone know IF any Chinese ones are carbon steel,and IF they are any good?

My favorite stolen knife was an old new stock Puma stockman. It had carbon steel blades,and jigged bone handles. I also lost the newer version with stainless blades. these knives used to cost $200.00. Now,Puma has introduced some very cheap knives in the $20-$30.00 range. No telling what they are.

Andrew Gibson
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I am sort of a collector... I use all the knives I have... or at least have carried them at one point or another. I like small pocket knives as of late.
My first knife was an old timer small stockman, still have it. got it from my dad for my 10th birthday
others include a buck 110
Swiss army knife or 2.
Gerber.
I have owned 2 benchmade benchmites, a 3100 and a 10310... the 3100 was my favorite to date, but tsa has is now.
My current carry knife is a CRKT mini fulcrum. Nice enough knife with a fun opening mechanisms that on one can ever figure out, could definitely use nicer steel though... but not bad for the price.
My Dad has carried a Queen medium stockman for as long time. I think it is a #62

george wilson
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I do have a Queen knife,a special 80th. Anniversary model with a D2 blade. It also has a folding crossbar that I could do without. Might come in handy for my next knife fight to the death,though.:)

I have been experimenting with sharpening angles. D2 is a high wear resistant hot die work steel that is tougher than blazes,and very hard. About 12% chrome,but not stainless.

D2 can feel like it's not quite sharp,yet shave your arm. I have used it to make hunting knives. If it is mirror polished,it shows a faint pattern of endless interlocking pyramids. I don't know another steel that does that(not that that is important to edge holding.) I got it from Smoky Mountain Knife Works several years ago. Came out in 2002. I don't know if they still have any. I'm not even recommending it till I get the right angles to the edge. I'm feeling that it needs a blunter angle to stay sharp longer,somewhat like A2 plane irons.