PDA

View Full Version : replacing motor on jet mini-lathe

Mike Minto
07-29-2010, 1:35 PM
is it feasable? i have another 1/2 hp motor, although it is larger, physically, than the stock motor. if i mounted it below the lathe, transmitting power via a belt, could it be done?

Jim Underwood
07-29-2010, 2:11 PM
Sure it could be done. It's hollow under there, so the belt will go through. All you'd have to do if the motor doesn't bolt on, is to mount the lathe on a bench above a hole, then mount the motor so you have enough clearance for the belt, and enough adjustment to line up the pulleys and tighten the belt.

The Delta Rockwell lathes are all like that.

Jerry Marcantel
07-29-2010, 2:40 PM
Mike, if you do change the motor location, make sure you know what size belts are available, and set your motor for the size you choose.
I am in the process of changing my motor location, and I'm not able to get the belt that would be optimal for me. One size 46", is borderline too short, and the next size, 48" is borderline too long. 47" would be perfect, but not availible.... I ordered a 46" belt, but no guarantee it'll fit............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Thom Sturgill
07-29-2010, 4:47 PM
If you mount it correctly, the weight of the motor can provide tension for the belt. I remember my dad's lathe was set up that way back in the 60s.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-29-2010, 6:41 PM
One thing to consider, is there's very little room above the motor, so you may have trouble with the banjo moving all the way up there, and limiting the upwards travel when you change speeds. As it is now, I move the motor all teh way up and the belt has just enough room to be swapped out.....

Dennis Ford
07-29-2010, 9:54 PM
Be sure to check the motor shaft size, you might have to bore out the pulley or turn the motor shaft down to make it work.