PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bowl

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 9:47 AM
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP1171.jpg?t=1280410741

This is a [wild]cherry bowl I did a while back. I thought it had an interesting contrast between heartwood and sapwood.

Well, I guess I am doing something wrong with posting the picture, as only the link showed up, but it will work... I have a real learning curve on posting pictures with computer technology......sheeesh! Sorry folks:(

John Keeton
07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Nice one, Roger!! You are right on the contrast - looks great on this bowl. Sometimes, the sapwood contrast takes a bowl from "a nice bowl" to something special. It worked here!

On the pics, you are uploading from another site - Photobucket. When you click the "paperclip" image management icon, cut and paste the url of the pic location in the second section of the dialog box - "Upload file from an Url" - then click upload.

A better way would be to actually upload the images from your computer to SMC. That way they will always be here. If you just link to the Photobucket site, and move them at some point, they will no longer be visible on SMC.

Just a thought.

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice one, Roger!! You are right on the contrast - looks great on this bowl. Sometimes, the sapwood contrast takes a bowl from "a nice bowl" to something special. It worked here!

On the pics, you are uploading from another site - Photobucket. When you click the "paperclip" image management icon, cut and paste the url of the pic location in the second section of the dialog box - "Upload file from an Url" - then click upload.

A better way would be to actually upload the images from your computer to SMC. That way they will always be here. If you just link to the Photobucket site, and move them at some point, they will no longer be visible on SMC.

Just a thought.

John,

Thank you! I will try to digest your instructions and see what happens. It would be my preference to upload from my own computer, but my son told me there was at times a sizing issue, and that photobucket will automatically size the picture to a size most forums allow.

I do like the contrast on this bowl. Thanks for the help John, and I can use all the help I can get with this photo thing ;):)

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 3:17 PM
Here is a pic of the cherry bowl on this forum, not photobucket.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2010, 3:58 PM
Roger that is a great looking bowl. I like the contrast of the sap wood and heart wood. It may get prettier if the heart wood darkens.

Rich Aldrich
07-29-2010, 6:14 PM
Nice bowl, Roger. I like the contrast and the foot. I am going to try a foot on my next bowl.

David E Keller
07-29-2010, 6:18 PM
Nice little bowl. I agree with the others about the sapwood/heartwood contrast.

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 7:42 PM
Nice bowl, Roger. I like the contrast and the foot. I am going to try a foot on my next bowl.

Rich,

You will find that turning a foot is fairly easy....when you reverse the bowl to do the bottom, then just allow for a depression inside the foot area, so it will sit stable.

You can do it with a parting tool, a small 3/8" bowl gouge or even a scraper, if that is what you want to use.

I've been watching some of your postings and you are really coming along with some nice turnings. I especially liked the natural edge bowls you have posted. I guess that Jet 1642 is getting a pretty good work out!

Thanks for your comments :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2010, 7:45 PM
Good looking bowl Roger! I love working with Cherry - always ages beautifully!

David DeCristoforo
07-29-2010, 8:00 PM
The best thing about cherry is the way it continues to develop a patina over time. But the sap wood stays light so the contrast on your (very nice looking to begin with) cherry bowl will only get better with age.

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 8:05 PM
The best thing about cherry is the way it continues to develop a patina over time. But the sap wood stays light so the contrast on your (very nice looking to begin with) cherry bowl will only get better with age.

David,

Two weeks ago my SIL came to visit from Georgia, and took a liking to that bowl, and now it will have a permanent home there, so I won't get too see the darkening affect.

I do know what you are saying, because I have several other cherry turnings, which have all darkened with time.

David Christopher
07-29-2010, 9:19 PM
Roger, thats a very nice looking bowl

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 9:29 PM
Roger, thats a very nice looking bowl

Thank you David, I appreciate your comment, as well as all the others who have been so encouraging!

Josh Bowman
07-29-2010, 9:32 PM
Roger,
I like the shape of the bowl. Nice color.

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 9:40 PM
Roger,
I like the shape of the bowl. Nice color.

Thanks Josh! I see you used to be Steve's neighbor, but moved away.....hummm......I know for a turner he would definitely be a lot of competition, and I am sure he casts a long shadow.

He is quite accomplished ...... I want to know...... are you the one who mentored him, and got him to where he is today?:D I really like his kelley green turnings.....did he learn that from you?

Hey guys, I just admire great work, and this forum has shown me plenty to shoot for.....although, I do know we are not "competing" with one another, we are rather "complementing" one another by our support! :);):D

Josh Bowman
07-29-2010, 9:54 PM
Thanks Josh! I see you used to be Steve's neighbor, but moved away.....hummm......I know for a turner he would definitely be a lot of competition, and I am sure he casts a long shadow.

He is quite accomplished ...... I want to know...... are you the one who mentored him, and got him to where he is today?:D I really like his kelley green turnings.....did he learn that from you?

I would like to say I knew him while I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB, however, I'd say he was only a young buck at the time I was there and playing only with wooden blocks not lathes.;) The fact is the Upper Peninsula of northern Mich. is a unique and beautiful place. It's fun to make an acquaintance with someone from that area again.......as long as he'll keep all that snow up there!:D

Baxter Smith
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice bowl! It would be interesting to see it a year from now.