PDA

View Full Version : Moving a large bandsaw?

Jim Kirkpatrick
07-29-2010, 9:15 AM
Last night I took delivery of a Grizzly G0636X bandsaw (stealth gloat!) It came UPS Freight with a liftgate so the driver had an easy time getting it off the truck. However, it is so tall that it won't fit under the garage door. So right now it's sitting outside my garage under a tarp. Weighing just under 700 lbs it won't be as simple as laying it over and having a couple of guys carry it in like a pallbearer.

Did anyone have a similar problem with theirs and how did you solve the problem?

Bill Huber
07-29-2010, 9:25 AM
Could you give me you address and the times you won't be home, I think I can take car of the problem for you....:rolleyes:

I can't help you on the problem, the only way I can see to do it is to put it on its side put a furniture dolly under the base and then have some guys raise it up and pull it in to the shop.

Frank Drew
07-29-2010, 9:29 AM
There are inexpensive rolling shop cranes that a lot here have used in similar situations; maybe you could rent one?

Doug Shepard
07-29-2010, 9:31 AM
My MM16 wouldn't clear the garage door on the shipping pallet but would off the pallet. With 2 helpers we got it slid off the pallet then crab-walked it (upright) into the garage. Will your Griz clear once it's off the pallet?

Bruce Gray
07-29-2010, 9:51 AM
When my G0566 was delivered, the truck driver helped me lay it over on its spine (still in the crate). Then I used rollers to move it across the lawn, and into my shop. I stood it back up with my shop chain hoist.

Brent Smith
07-29-2010, 9:55 AM
I had the same problem with an LT18. Take off the table and motor, both adding conciderably to the weight, get a hand truck and with the help of a friend or 2 you can tilt it under the door frame and get it inside.

Eiji Fuller
07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
+1 on Brent's plan. I would leave the motor on.

Mike Ruggeri
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I rented an appliance dolly to move my Laguna HD16 - only something like $8 for the day from U-haul. While my saw is a little less weight, it moved easily by myself and I would think with one or two helpers you could do the same with your saw. Get an appliance dolly that has a strap and tie it down - just like moving a refrigerator.

M

Ken Garlock
07-29-2010, 1:09 PM
The simple solution is to get an appliance dolly. Slide the dolly under the entire package on the side of the saw spine. Tip it back and roll the package where you want it.

If it is easier for you, uncrate the saw, tip it back onto the saw spine, and then remove the shipping palate. Now you have the saw ready to go any where you want.

Help of a neighbor or friend is recommended.:eek:

I used a run-of-mill dolly from the Borg to move my MM16 into the shop.

Richard Link
07-29-2010, 1:37 PM
Hi. I had the same problem with my Agazzani B-24 (similar weight class). I used a el cheapo shop crane and an el-super-cheap-o furniture dolly from Harbor Freight to move the saw and stand it upright. Sold the crane afterward (entire operation ended up costing me about $30 net). Would have been both nicer and safer to have a friend involved. You can check out the previous thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118970&highlight=crane+b-24

Good luck!

Richard

David G Baker
07-29-2010, 2:40 PM
Jim K,
You have several good suggestions. My suggestion is make sure that you have plenty of help on hand. You really don't want to break your new gloat.
Your problem is why when I had my pole barn built I had a 10 foot high roll-up door installed.
My dad bought a milling machine that would not clear his garage door. The mill was so heavy that he didn't have many options. He ended up removing the garage door. The top of the mill just barely cleared the opening.

Jon van der Linden
07-29-2010, 2:48 PM
Moving this alone you need equipment and careful setup. Obviously if it falls you can damage the machine or seriously hurt yourself. If you have a couple friends handy, tilting it becomes quite easy with 4+. It's similar to how you can lift up a car and walk with it if you have a bunch of friends....

Sherzod Niazov
07-29-2010, 4:23 PM
Last night I took delivery of a Grizzly G0636X bandsaw (stealth gloat!) It came UPS Freight with a liftgate so the driver had an easy time getting it off the truck. However, it is so tall that it won't fit under the garage door. So right now it's sitting outside my garage under a tarp. Weighing just under 700 lbs it won't be as simple as laying it over and having a couple of guys carry it in like a pallbearer.

Did anyone have a similar problem with theirs and how did you solve the problem?

Jim, I had the same issue a month ago. Same band saw, same garage door height issue. I didn’t feel comfortable tilting it even with help. Here is how you can do it alone in a couple of hours. I ended up lifting it off the pallet and placing on pieces of the 3/4" EMT conduit. For lifting I used a home-made shop crane. It is built out of 2by4s for legs, and a 2by8 resting on the legs horizontally. A 2000 pound capacity manual winch (from HF) is mounted on the horizontal piece. I build the crane a few years ago, it has been my life saver, especially with the 636x, and it only took a couple of hours to put together.

Good luck. Congrats on your saw! You’ll love it.

Wayne Hendrix
07-29-2010, 4:29 PM
Jim, I had the same issue a month ago. Same band saw, same garage door height issue. I didn’t feel comfortable tilting it even with help. Here is how you can do it alone in a couple of hours. I ended up lifting it off the pallet and placing on pieces of the 3/4" EMT conduit. For lifting I used a home-made shop crane. It is built out of 2by4s for legs, and a 2by8 resting on the legs horizontally. A 2000 pound capacity manual winch (from HF) is mounted on the horizontal piece. I build the crane a few years ago, it has been my life saver, especially with the 636x, and it only took a couple of hours to put together.

Good luck. Congrats on your saw! You’ll love it.

I am looking at buying the same saw. What is the height as shipped and what is the height in use? The ceiling of my shop is not very high and I am a little worried about it fitting.

Dan Karachio
07-29-2010, 4:35 PM
Wow, this is why us basement shop people can't even begin to think about tools like this! My only advice is a little vague. First, you will soon know who your real friends are. Second, explore ways to do this using as much leverage and planned moves as possible. - you don't want to rely on pure muscle power alone. Case in point. My uncle has a grand piano. 700 pounds and big. Five guys not experienced with piano moving moved it in and it took almost an hour with all kinds of whacky techniques and a lot of fingernail chewing by my uncle. Years later, two experienced piano movers moves it out in about 7 minutes and without breaking a sweat.

Sherzod Niazov
07-29-2010, 4:36 PM
I am looking at buying the same saw. What is the height as shipped and what is the height in use? The ceiling of my shop is not very high and I am a little worried about it fitting.

Wayne, the height of the machine is 78.5", pallet and crate adds another 10".

Jon van der Linden
07-29-2010, 4:40 PM

The height of the machine is always available from the manufacturer's specs. The real issue with a taller bandsaw is that it has to be laid on its spine to go through a doorway. Then you have to tilt it up. The tilting clearance is greater than the height because it's the diagonal across the machine.

Wayne Hendrix
07-29-2010, 4:40 PM
Wayne, the height of the machine is 78.5", pallet and crate adds another 10".

Thank you. (sorry to threadjack)

Michael Arruda
07-29-2010, 5:52 PM
That's a pretty small bandsaw.No big deal tipping it back. My 32" BS, stripped of the table, wheels,, etc, basically a bare frame, was about 900 LBs and about 6 inches too tall for the garage door. Strapped it to an appliance dolly, tipped it back and got it where it needed to go. Simplest way to do it.

-Michael

Jon van der Linden
07-29-2010, 6:48 PM
That's a pretty small bandsaw.No big deal tipping it back. My 32" BS, stripped of the table, wheels,, etc, basically a bare frame, was about 900 LBs and about 6 inches too tall for the garage door. Strapped it to an appliance dolly, tipped it back and got it where it needed to go. Simplest way to do it.

-Michael

Without taking the upper wheel off that would never work. Just saying if you want it easy, get some friends. That way you don't have to spend all that time taking it apart.

Some of those large cast iron wheels are not fun to lift solo. Besides, taking it apart and then putting it back together once it's inside is cheating! Of course with some of the old machines the cover has no structural strength and you might damage it if you were to hold the cover while tipping the machine.

mreza Salav
07-29-2010, 8:30 PM
Wow, this is why us basement shop people can't even begin to think about tools like this!

Don't laugh at me but I was thinking exactly about this situation: how to get such a bandsaw to my basement shop
when I buy it (I took an ICS sawstop down there by myself, but had to dis-assemble most of it).

Michael Arruda
07-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I just took a look at the construction- it's a standard new style welded sheet metal frame. The "box" the upper wheel resides in is, or should be, structural. Therefore, you should indeed be able to remove the table, place the appliance dolly on the back side and tip it back. Besides that, consider the fact that the weight is riding on the base, the upper frame contact is just for support. I did this with my C'man Pro 14" BS that I had before I got my '43 Delta 14".

Not trying to be derisive or argumentative, and this is not directed at anyone in particular, but if you're not an arm chair jockey and have actually dealt with a situation like this, you know it's really not too hard to get accomplished safely and easily, even with one man. Seriously though, not directed at anyone in particular. Seriously. Not trying to start an argument, just saying. Really. No, really.

-Michael

Jon van der Linden
07-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I just took a look at the construction- it's a standard new style welded sheet metal frame. The "box" the upper wheel resides in is, or should be, structural. Therefore, you should indeed be able to remove the table, place the appliance dolly on the back side and tip it back. Besides that, consider the fact that the weight is riding on the base, the upper frame contact is just for support. I did this with my C'man Pro 14" BS that I had before I got my '43 Delta 14".

Not trying to be derisive or argumentative, and this is not directed at anyone in particular, but if you're not an arm chair jockey and have actually dealt with a situation like this, you know it's really not too hard to get accomplished safely and easily, even with one man. Seriously though, not directed at anyone in particular. Seriously. Not trying to start an argument, just saying. Really. No, really.

-Michael

With a small bandsaw you're right, it doesn't require anything, you can pretty much carry that around.

I really just don't believe you if you are referring to being able to do this with a 32" welded frame with a wheel on. Old style frames are a LOT easier to lift than the new ones in terms of where the bulk of the weight is located, especially with the top wheel removed. You're saying it was 900 lbs, even if most of that is at the base, you're going to say you lifted 300 lbs like it was nothing... not impossible, after all when I was 20 I could lift 500 lbs no problem, but that was then. No way would I touch anything like that now. We're not just talking about moving it, but dropping it down and lifting it back up. IF you're saying you can tilt it just enough to get through the doorway, and so you didn't carry any weight, that I'll believe.

First of all, if it's not down you have to drop it without dropping it. There's no way to really know how heavy it's going to be other than experience. It's a risk. It's going to be several hundred pounds in each direction, I don't know why you're saying it's so easy and safe, we're obviously talking about people that don't know how to move things otherwise this discussion wouldn't be taking place. I really wouldn't recommend doing this with just a dolly if you/re solo and don't know what you're doing.

Just for the record, I have done this solo and with help. Solo is easy, but time consuming. Help is a lot faster, pretty much instant.

In relation to the OP, he has a 700 lb saw. I would not advocate doing this solo with a dolly. It's a bad recommendation.

Jim Kirkpatrick
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Lots of good advice. Don't worry, I'm not going this alone. I'll have 3-4 able bodies to assist me. My neighbor is coming over tonite with his farm tractor. We plan on attaching a strap to the upper wheel housing and lifting it up so we can get the pallets out and slide a 3" tall rolling bracket assembly that he has.
Here are some pictures to show what I'm up against. The delivery driver did not have a narrow pallet jack on his truck, that's why you see it sitting on 2 pallets, so he could get his normal sized jack underneath. Once it's off the pallets, I'll have just 5" of clearance to get it into the garage. This should work. At least in theory! ;) Stay tuned. (PS, someone asked how tall it is: just over 78")
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/4843505749_527a81c3de_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/4844122306_eab78fbb20_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/4843505681_fb87ef70da_b.jpg

Floyd Mah
07-30-2010, 3:32 PM
My Grizzly bandsaw has an eye bolt that can be attached to the top of the saw for hoisting if that is needed. Look for that if you have a way of lifting it off the pallet. It came separately, so unpack the other stuff and see if it has been hidden with the giblets inside the turkey. I elevated my 19" bs with small blocks incrementally until it was clear of the pallet, but you don't seem to have the same clearance around the perimeter. Also I was able to assemble the rolling base while it was elevated. Good luck.

Nelson Howe
07-30-2010, 4:16 PM
I got a 20" Agazzani bs in my basement shop with a bit of manliness from friends.

Three suggestions that will help:
Get it off the pallets: tip it enough to get some blocking under one end, then tip it up on that to get out the first pallet, and lower it onto more blocking. I think you can seesaw it down that way.

Then, don't set it on the ground, but go egyptian instead: buy a 10' piece of 1" pvc ($3.00 max), and cut it into 2 or 3 foot lengths. Put sections of the pvc under the saw and roll it on them. keep feeding them back in front of the saw as you go. That keeps your headroom to a minimum, and you'll be pleased by how well the saw rolls on them. The guy who told me about this trick claims he has moved 1,000+ lb machines alone this way.

The third suggestion is two sets of forearm forklifts. These are the straps that movers use these days. Two straps for each person: the strap goes under the bandsaw, and loops over your elbow. You put your palms against the bandsaw and lift with your legs. All the weight transfers to your back and legs. Four of us got my saw up onto a dolly and down off a curb with these. You can google for them. I think they're around $20/pair.

Good luck,

Nelson

Jon van der Linden
07-30-2010, 5:31 PM
Using pipe rollers is a very common way of moving heavy machines. I'll admit this is the first time I've heard of anyone using pvc though. Probably because the machine is so light. Basic concept is that you need to keep at least 2 pipes under the machine at all times. 1" pipe or smaller for smooth concrete, you can go larger for rough surfaces, keeping in mind that the larger the diameter the more chance you have of a runaway machine.

Michael Arruda
07-30-2010, 7:50 PM
Jon,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The saw I did this with was a 32" Silver Mfg cast iron C frame saw. I don't play too much with the newer welded things. As long as you're congnisent of the fulcrum point, it's easy to control, depending on your personal load bearing capacity. I weigh a bit over 300, am 25, and have no problem with it. YMMV. Sorry for forgetting that the OP may be older or less, um, robust as I and as such may not be able to do as I propose.

If you want to learn how to rig and move a machine from the big boys, guys that do it with tools that weigh more than everything in your shop combined, look through the archives at OWWM. It's insane what I've seen some of them move. :)

-Michael

PS- Use black pipe, not PVC for rolling. It costs a wee bit more, but guarantees you the peace of mind knowing you won't have a freak accident and crack the PVC. Cheap insurance.

Jim Kirkpatrick
07-31-2010, 3:42 PM
It didn't take much to get it into the shop. Not when your neighbor brings over his fork truck that is. That plus the help of 3 guys.
He picked up the upper wheel assembly with his forks then we slid a 4 wheeled flatbed movers cart under it. It barely fit under the garage and we used a pinch bar to lift it up on to the concrete slab of the garage. From there we rolled it over to the door that divides the garage from the shop, slid out the movers cart and used the pinch bar to drag it into the shop where it currently resides on 2 pipes. All told took about 30 minutes. I have to come up with a way to lift it once the mobile base I ordered arrives.

Carroll Courtney
07-31-2010, 4:17 PM
Congrads,now thats a BS.----Carroll

Gary Herrmann
07-31-2010, 6:37 PM
Good deal Jim. Now get it dirty.

Jon van der Linden
07-31-2010, 6:51 PM
Jon,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The saw I did this with was a 32" Silver Mfg cast iron C frame saw. I don't play too much with the newer welded things. As long as you're congnisent of the fulcrum point, it's easy to control, depending on your personal load bearing capacity. I weigh a bit over 300, am 25, and have no problem with it. YMMV. Sorry for forgetting that the OP may be older or less, um, robust as I and as such may not be able to do as I propose.

If you want to learn how to rig and move a machine from the big boys, guys that do it with tools that weigh more than everything in your shop combined, look through the archives at OWWM. It's insane what I've seen some of them move. :)

-Michael

PS- Use black pipe, not PVC for rolling. It costs a wee bit more, but guarantees you the peace of mind knowing you won't have a freak accident and crack the PVC. Cheap insurance.

LOL - MIchael, I'm only 135 lbs, I don't think I've ever weighed more than 140. There is no way I could lever a bandsaw that size by hanging from a dolly, it just won't go! One foot on the dolly, the rest of me flailing wildly as far from it as possible... still wouldn't budge it. It would work with a rigger's pry bar or nose bar, but that is only good for sliding something under the machine.

I sold a 24" Agazzanni not too long ago, the purchaser brought a friend with him that was 6'6" and a weightlifter to boot. Sounds like you're about the same size. He could lift and drop the machine solo with no equipment. For me it would have required rigging up something with a pulley or getting another 2-3 people in there.

Kenneth Tate
08-27-2010, 1:22 PM
Hi,
I have a Grizzly 514x2 19inch band saw coming this Monday (08/30).
Same garage door, same problem!
I'll let you know how it goes for me!