PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) hand saws

Dave Houseal
07-29-2010, 9:10 AM
I picked up what I believe is a great deal last night. 2 hand saws and a panel saw for $20.

The best of the bunch is a newer Disston 10tpi filed for crosscut. It's in great condition...straight, not really any rust and the handle looks just about perfect. I figure this one alone is easily worth more than the $20 I paid.

The other two I'm not sure how they're gonna turn out...lol

One is a Disston 8tpi filed for rip. The handle is beat up and missing a rivet and the blade is in ok condition. Some light rust. No pitting though. However there is a bend in the blade near the tip starting about 4 inches back.

I was told all three of these were Disston, but the logo doesn't look the same on the panel saw. I can't quite make it out, but I'm thinking it may be a different brand. This saw I'm not so sure about. The blade is pretty bent, and the handle beat up though usable. Not sure if I can get this one into working condition or not.

Dave Houseal
07-29-2010, 9:14 AM
Here's close ups of the two hand saw handles

Dave Houseal
07-29-2010, 9:15 AM
Now sure how well these pictures show it, but these are the two bent blades. The first one is the hand saw, followed by the panel saw.

David Weaver
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Check out bob smalser's tutorial on working the bend out of a saw if you haven't done so already.

It might be on here. If it's not, you can find it by googling.

I've never worked a saw that had that much bend in it back to straight, but you don't have anything to lose trying. I can't tell from the pictures, but are the bends gradual and constant with no kink in them? At least they're toward the end of the blade.

Jim Koepke
07-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Check out bob smalser's tutorial on working the bend out of a saw if you haven't done so already.

It might be on here. If it's not, you can find it by googling.

It should be in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs thread under "tool rehab." I think there is also a link to all of Bobs great tutorial posts.

jim

Dave Houseal
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks David!

I read the tutorial and am fairly confident that the 2nd hand saw can be rehabbed. Slightly less confident about my ability to do the rehab...but hey...its a $10 saw and I gotta learn somewhere.

I'm thinking that the panel saw may be a gonner as it has twist and bow.

I need to keep a lookout for a 5 or 6 TPI that I can rip file.

David Weaver
07-29-2010, 1:14 PM
Keep your eyes peeled, maybe on ebay. Don't pay a lot for one, because there's no need to.

Of the two thumbhole rips that I have, I paid $15 for one and less for another, both good and straight and only needing a quick sharpening.

I paid 4 times that for a #12 rip, but it doesn't rip a board any faster.

You may not be able to get one quickly for $15, but if it's not professionally redone and sharpened, I would pass on anything that seems expensive (>$50).

Panel saws seem to have shot up a lot even just within the last year. I guess they're probably not going to be cheap across the board again, but they're not rare.

Dave Houseal
07-29-2010, 1:50 PM
Good to know you can still get them cheap, because I don't really have it in my budget right now to buy anything expensive. :D

David Weaver
07-29-2010, 2:06 PM
Someone on here sells saws for reasonable, and he sent me a PM the last time one of these came up. I can't remember his name now, though, and I've torched all of my PMs since then because they went over the mailbox limit in numbers.

Maybe he'll pop up.

There is a huge rash of BIN sellers on ebay who seem to be copying one or two sellers who are well beyond proud of their goods. I guess there must be some listing offer on ebay that allows sellers to list items for free without worrying about whether they can sell them, and then other sellers see that and don't care what the prices of the items that actually sold were.

You have to do the tuesday or wednesday night shuffle anymore (get on ebay when nobody else is on it) it seems to get deals.