PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Fence Questions (Kreg/Laguna)

John Mark Lane
07-29-2010, 8:50 AM
A couple of quick questions, please.

I picked up a Craftsman 14 inch steel bandsaw (on sale for $384). I have assembled it and run a few test cuts, and I'm fairly impressed so far. Thinking of an aftermarket fence.

The Kreg fence appears to be 18 inches long. Meaning if (as appears) at least three inches of it hangs out over the front of the table (plus note that I will have to make a mounting bracket from angle aluminum to bolt to the stock bolts on the bottom of the table, meaning probably a half inch more than otherwise). This likely means it will not extend to the other side of the 16 inch wide table. Anyone have this fence mounted on a bandsaw with a 16 inch wide table? Thoughts?

I also have the general impression (from reviews etc) that Kreg products are sort of, well, not that well made. For example, one review noted that they don't even bother to include stainless steel bolts and nots (must be zinc or cheap pot metal). A good fence is important, even on a budget saw, imo.

Now, the Laguna Driftmaster -- which admittedly costs as much as I paid for the saw, but so be it -- on the other hand appears huge. The fence is 31 1/2 inches long. Meaning it will likely stick out the back of the table a foot or so. I suppose I could just cut it down. Anyone have this fence on a saw of this approximate size?

Are there any other fences out there worth considering?

Thanks!

Mark

Rick Markham
07-29-2010, 9:10 AM
Mark, the driftmaster is fantastic. One thing to consider on a saw that size (I don't know your table size) other than the fence's size, is its weight. The front section is built like a tank and is quite heavy. Hopefully someone will chime in that has it set up on a similar saw to yours ;)

John Lanciani
07-29-2010, 9:11 AM
I have a driftmaster on a MM20 and it is just right. I can't imagine putting it on a 14" saw, it would use up half of the table.

Also, it must be cheap like the Kreg since it didn't come with stainless steel bolts, either.;) (Or usable instructions for that matter)

Bill Huber
07-29-2010, 9:17 AM
I have a Kreg fence on my 14" Jet with a 16 inch table and you are correct that it does not hang out the back, it is 1" short but that has never been a problem that I have seen.

Mounting is nothing, I don't remember if I had to or not but the most you would have to do is to drill 2 holes in the saw table.

As to how it made it is made very well, easy on and off the bolts are not stainless steel but to me that is no big thing, its not going to be outside.

Bottom line for me is the Kreg is a really nice fence and I would get another one if I needed it.

Cliff Holmes
07-29-2010, 9:18 AM
Offhand, I can't think of anything in the shop that has SS hardware. Nor can I think of anything that's suffered because it.

Jon Bonham
07-29-2010, 9:22 AM
They sell SS nuts and bolts at the hardware store pretty cheap.

John Mark Lane
07-29-2010, 9:45 AM
Ok, uh, please disregard the ss comment. If zinc is adequate (and the norm), fine. I appreciate the input. I suspected the Driftmaster is really just too big for this saw, so that confirms it. It does bother me that the Kreg doesn't reach across a 16 inch table, though. Why waste the outfeed support? The could just make the darn fence 2 inches longer....

Any other aftermarket fences worth considering?

Cary Falk
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Here is an option. I have one on my G0513X2 and like it.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Re-Saw-Fence-Complete-For-G0555-G0570/H7587

John Mark Lane
07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Here is an option. I have one on my G0513X2 and like it.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Re-Saw-Fence-Complete-For-G0555-G0570/H7587

That does look pretty nice. Oddly, although they say you should meassure your table to see if it will fit...they don't bother to give you the dimensions of the damn thing. The typical Grizz spec sheet is not there. Looking on the parts diagram, it appears to show the fence as being 505 mm's. That translates to about 19.8 inches. So it would appear to be almost 2 inchest longer than the Kreg. Still, with the need to possibly overhand on both sides of the table, it's not clear whether it will fit on a 16 inch table. Cary -- how wide is your table? And is there more room available if the table is wider?

Edit: Never mind, I was able to find the table size for the 513X2 on the Grizz site -- 17 1/4. Looks like a contender!

Further edit: Grizz site says fits saws with 14" table front to back... So...any problems getting it on the 513X2, and am I correct that that saw has a 17 inch table width?

Cary Falk
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Re-Saw-Fence-Complete-For-G0514/H7589
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Re-Saw-Fence-Complete-For-G0513/H7588
Different sizes for different saws

John Mark Lane
07-29-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Re-Saw-Fence-Complete-For-G0514/H7589
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Re-Saw-Fence-Complete-For-G0513/H7588
Different sizes for different saws

Yes, thanks, I was just discovering that. However the site is not very helpful, as the description for both thr 787 and 788 sats "fits bandsaws with 14" table front to back." Has to be a typo, since the 788 says it's for the 513 series saws, which have a 17 inch table. I'll probably give Grizzly a call (I've found mistakes on their site before). This does look like a nice fence system. Looks much better than the Kreg for about the same $$.

Dan Karachio
07-29-2010, 4:55 PM
John, I have the Kreg fence on my Rikon 14" 10-325 and it has the exact same problem you referred to - it doesn't extend the width of the table. I was a fool to not measure as you did and think about this. Sadly, I had to drill some holes to get this to mount and had one of those "Duh!" moments too late to return it. It bugs the living heck out of me - it is ridiculous and I like to use my saw to rip as well as resaw (over 3 1/2 from the edge of the table). The fence is practically unusable. So, I actually am using the Kreg rail and mounting hardware with the original Rikon fence (which is longer). It works fine and better than the stock set up, but not what I wanted.

So, I think you should stay away. The Laguna will probably be amazing, but it is pricey no? I have never tried one, but what about the Carter Magnafence as lower cost option?

John Mark Lane
07-29-2010, 5:04 PM
John, I have the Kreg fence on my Rikon 14" 10-325 and it has the exact same problem you referred to - it doesn't extend the width of the table. I was a fool to not measure as you did and think about this. Sadly, I had to drill some holes to get this to mount and had one of those "Duh!" moments too late to return it. It bugs the living heck out of me - it is ridiculous and I like to use my saw to rip as well as resaw (over 3 1/2 from the edge of the table). The fence is practically unusable. So, I actually am using the Kreg rail and mounting hardware with the original Rikon fence (which is longer). It works fine and better than the stock set up, but not what I wanted.

So, I think you should stay away. The Laguna will probably be amazing, but it is pricey no? I have never tried one, but what about the Carter Magnafence as lower cost option?

Never heard of it. Checking just now (it's actually called the Magfence), it looks pretty cool. Thanks, another option to consider.

Mark

Dan Karachio
07-29-2010, 5:48 PM
Hi John. Yes, if I could rewind my impulsiveness and lack of thinking, I think that Magfence for resawing and my stock fence for ripping just might have been the ticket! I'll never know. More likely I will know some day, but I find I am less apt to spend money in the summer - lord knows why?

Cary Falk
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, thanks, I was just discovering that. However the site is not very helpful, as the description for both thr 787 and 788 sats "fits bandsaws with 14" table front to back." Has to be a typo, since the 788 says it's for the 513 series saws, which have a 17 inch table. I'll probably give Grizzly a call (I've found mistakes on their site before). This does look like a nice fence system. Looks much better than the Kreg for about the same $$.

I just measured the fence on my G0513X2. The table is 17". The Alunimun high/low fence is 23 3/8" long.

Van Huskey
07-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Never heard of it. Checking just now (it's actually called the Magfence), it looks pretty cool. Thanks, another option to consider.

Mark

The cool thing about the Magfence is you can use it anywhere you have a cast table so it may not be a uni-tasker depending on your shop, works great on a DP for instance.

If you are a single point resawer (I am not) Magswitch makes a resaw guide http://www.magswitch.com.au/featherboards/magfence-resaw-guide.html

You can also get a kit with several options, I love their stuff and always finding uses for the magjigs, workholds, featherboards et al. My point being even if you get the kit and end up not using it for resawing you will find tons of uses for the components.