PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable router getting hot

Michael Arruda
07-29-2010, 2:06 AM
Hello all,

I just picked up a PC 8902 router from HD. Plugged it in with no collet and started it up at 10K, slowly went up to 23K and left it there for about 6 minutes. After the 6 minutes, I turned the router off and the collet taper was WAY too hot to touch. the outside of the housing was very hot as well where the lower bearing is. I know PC is turning into a crap brand for Black & Decker, but I really expected better than this. Anyone else have this problem? I need to use the motor in my CNC, so I want it as cool as possible to prevent the heat from transfering to the collet and warping anything while in use- I will be using it for inlay and fret work, so it has to be accurate.

Anyone know the bearings? I can see the bottom one is a 6004 RS, but no clue on the top. I can get some Nachis on ebay for less than $20. I've used them in a couple tool rebuilds, so I know they're better than chinese bearings- like what is in the PC- and not too far from SKF.

With the overall drop in quality of PC tools, would you take the router back to see if another one was better, or just replace the bearings yourself?

-Michael

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-29-2010, 3:19 AM
I just got a PC 8902 kit and while its not the smoothest router it does not get hot.

When you power down the router how long does it take to spin down?

In any case I would take back to HD and just get another one. HD return policy is very good.

Brent Smith
07-29-2010, 6:31 AM
There was a recall on these motors a few years ago for this very reason. It's unlikely, but it is possible you have an old stock router there. Check the serial number with PC. The fix at the time was a swap out for a new motor.

Michael Arruda
07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
The manufacturing date on the unit is 7/2009. I'll take it back and try for another.

Thanks,
Michael

Tom Esh
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
It's a bit disconcerting for sure, but par for the 890. I also figured it was a sure sign of imminent bearing failure and even went so far as to pick up a spare reconditioned motor. 4 yrs of moderate use and the spare's still sitting in the box. Mine still runs warm, but less so now than when new.

Michael Arruda
07-29-2010, 1:16 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to take it back to get another, see if that makes any difference. They use cheap chinese bearings, so I know that's got ot be the issue. I'll get a set of replacement Nachis or itto have on hand, and I have a 690 I can use in a pinch if I have a job that has to be done and the 890 dies.

Thanks again,
Michael

Joe Kaufman
07-30-2010, 12:54 AM
I've had (3) 890 series routhers. All 3 got hot when they were new. Put a bit in it (should help conduct the heat away from the spindle) and let it run for a few minutes @ 10K then shuit off for cool down period. After 4-5 cycles of this you should notice a big improvement. Maybe the bearing grease redistributes itself or the seals break-in.

Joe

Curt Harms
07-30-2010, 7:24 PM
I've had (3) 890 series routhers. All 3 got hot when they were new. Put a bit in it (should help conduct the heat away from the spindle) and let it run for a few minutes @ 10K then shuit off for cool down period. After 4-5 cycles of this you should notice a big improvement. Maybe the bearing grease redistributes itself or the seals break-in.

Joe

The lower bearing started getting rough (table router) so I replaced it with a sealed Fafnir. It got pretty warm the first time I ran it after replacing the bearing but it runs cool now. Perhaps bearings need a "break-in period".

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-31-2010, 4:55 AM
Personaly I will never purchase a Porter Cable product again. I just an extensive test on all my routers and the two PC router are the worst. The vibrate more than the others and the 8902 berings do run hotter than all of them. Its not so hot you cant touch them but just about.

In the past year I have had to return various other PC tools because they ran hot or just did not operate worth a dang. Honastly I seriously doubto that manufacture has a single product I would even consider now.

Back in the day I would do anything to get my hands on a PC, Dewalt or Delta product.

My advise is to return the PC router and just get something else. I think you stand a better chance getting a good one.

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-31-2010, 6:33 AM
I've got one of the original PC 890's in my CNC and love it. 99% of my cutting is done at about 10,000-12,000 rpm, but I have run it at about 18,000 for a few hours straight.

I have heard complaints on newer models, though. I'd try to run it in , as was mentioned, at low rpm for progressively loner run times. Monitor it to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Also, the recall was for a possible electrical short, not the bearings. At least the recall on mine was.

Michael Arruda
08-01-2010, 1:37 AM
I'm really ticked off at the quality of this thing. I did as suggested and ran it at 10K, a few minutes at a time. On the 3rd run, the bearing started to squeal. I'm taking it back. I would get a Bosch 1617, but HD doesn't carry it and I'm buying on the HD card. :(

Very disappointed in what B&D is doing to PC,
Michael

Mike Heidrick
08-01-2010, 4:22 AM
AFTER the recall my 890 got hot. Gave it to a BIL who has probably never used it. Good riddence. The 618 Dewalt became the replacement. Hated the 890 plunge base action too but looks like that has been changed.