PDA

View Full Version : Scenic Wood Gloat III

Baxter Smith
07-28-2010, 10:49 PM
This is the conclusion of a couple of earlier posts, (Scenic Prewood Gloat I & II). The chainsaw needed a break, (and a brake handle) so it spent a week and a half in the shop.
Picked up the chainsaw yesterday and spent a couple hours this morning cutting up some more of a dead maple and burying the blanks in the shavings where they fell. The temperature was in the 80’s so I figured I should head for someplace cool this afternoon.
Here is the first glimpse of the inside.
Leo was right about the spruce burl being much like an onion. May not be much of a gloat, but anticipation is supposed to be half the fun.:)
I cut off one small section of the burl before my chansaw gave up last time and roughed out a hollow form. Not spectacular but it does have a different swirl to the grain.
Cut the remaining part into 3 pieces. Two I could carry and one got rolled.
One boat down and one to go.:)
No longer a pregloat!
Theres one more uprooted spruce with a smaller burl in there but I have enough for now.
Since some people gloat about their new wood haulers…. Mine is a 1989 Corson. Its pushed by a 140 Evinrude . I won't brag about the gas mileage or how it does in the mud, but it does handle 6-8 ft swells and will hit 50+ knots. Just never done both at the same time! :D

They are now anchorsealed. The bigger section is still 28 inches across and has a weight of 99 lbs. I built an outboard stand for my old 12’’ lathe but this may be stretching it.

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Baxter,

What a haul, and what a way to haul it out! Truly a beautiful place there.

Let us know what is hiding beneath all that bark when you can!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-28-2010, 11:47 PM
He nice going Baxter, glad you got her home, even if not in one piece :rolleyes:
The grain in the pieces (hardwood, no spruce but a small one) often have a lot of shimmer in them when you can get it finished well, it just doesn't show much until you got it nice and smooth with a finish on it, no not like a spiky burl at all, but still worthwhile to do IMO.
Anyway yes you will be giving the old iron a good workout, just take your time, and like I said watch all the sticky sap :p
Hope to see some pictures from the end-result, Have fun and do take care :D

Norm Zax
07-29-2010, 2:40 AM
Nice haul indeed and what a place! I can just imagine a small shed near the beach with a lathe, an AC unit and all the wood I need just outside, with a break or two a day on the beach with a cool glass or brew. Gotta wake up....

Kyle Iwamoto
07-29-2010, 4:04 AM
[QUOTE=Norm Zax;1478271]I can just imagine a small shed near the beach with a lathe, an AC unit and all the wood I need just outside, with a break or two a day on the beach with a cool glass or brew. QUOTE]

If you were by the beach, why would you want AC?:)

charlie knighton
07-29-2010, 4:53 AM
nice haul, and a very nice way to haul, i guess you were out exploring and found a burl spot huh???

The temperature was in the 80’s

Baxter, that's not considered summer down here, much less hot :D

John Keeton
07-29-2010, 6:48 AM
Baxter, I need a few days away, so Ms. Keeton and I are en route for a vacation at your place!!:D:D You don't mind me borrowin' your boat(s) and chainsaw for awhile do ya?!?!;)

Fred Perreault
07-29-2010, 7:00 AM
Bax....
There seems to be no end to which a a turner will go for what we can only hope is good canvas for our art. fantastic pics.....

Roland Martin
07-29-2010, 7:54 AM
Since some people gloat about their new wood haulers…. Mine is a 1989 Corson. Its pushed by a 140 Evinrude . I won't brag about the gas mileage or how it does in the mud, but it does handle 6-8 ft swells and will hit 50+ knots. Just never done both at the same time! :D

You are a wise man Baxter:D. Life is good isn't it? "A little piece of heaven"
Very nice gloat and with your talent, there's no doubt you'll do it justice.

David E Keller
07-29-2010, 9:22 AM
" The temperature was in the 80’s so I figured I should head for someplace cool this afternoon"

Nice covert weather gloat and overt wood gloat.

Baxter Smith
07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Baxter,

What a haul, and what a way to haul it out! Truly a beautiful place there.

Let us know what is hiding beneath all that bark when you can!
Roger, it did make for an out of the ordinary afternoon!

He nice going Baxter, glad you got her home, even if not in one piece
Anyway yes you will be giving the old iron a good workout, just take your time, and like I said watch all the sticky sap :p
Even the pieces gave the old back a good workout too! The sap wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected on the first roughout.

[QUOTE=Norm Zax;1478271]I can just imagine a small shed near the beach with a lathe, an AC unit and all the wood I need just outside, with a break or two a day on the beach with a cool glass or brew. QUOTE]

If you were by the beach, why would you want AC?:)
No AC needed here. Just wade in up to your ankles and let the 58-60 degree water do the rest!

Baxter, that's not considered summer down here, much less hot :D
I know, but I was starting to sweat!;)

Baxter, I need a few days away, so Ms. Keeton and I are en route for a vacation at your place!!:D:D You don't mind me borrowin' your boat(s) and chainsaw for awhile do ya?!?!;)
John, you and your better half (either one);):) are welcome anytime! John T and Kelly P even flew in for a party at the local Inn last Saturday night. The two of you, (depending on who you brought) would have fit right in.:D
The boats no problem, I will even help you load. I could use some help with that big old apple stump too.:)

Bax....
There seems to be no end to which a a turner will go for what we can only hope is good canvas for our art. fantastic pics.....
The people at the dock did give me some funny looks when I unloaded.:)

You are a wise man Baxter:D. Life is good isn't it? "A little piece of heaven"
Ain't it the truth! Wise? Hmmm. The boat goes airborne, before then and the prop can't get a bite.;)

" The temperature was in the 80’s so I figured I should head for someplace cool this afternoon"

Nice covert weather gloat and overt wood gloat.
Guess you caught that David!:D

Mark Hubl
07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice haul and hauler. The wood looks great. Can't wait to see some of it turned.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
WOW! Congrats on the wood! Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing!

I think I would have been fishing for awhile after getting the boat loaded! Sure looked like you had fun!

Jon Lanier
07-30-2010, 1:25 AM
Wow, I didn't think there was much stuff like that out here. I just moved to Seaford a year ago. Lower Slower DE.... man that is right. Feels like I moved back 20 years.

Allen Neighbors
07-30-2010, 2:20 PM
Baxter, you are so cruel! Just two weeks before I get out of this 90-105 degree heat and head to cool Colorado! And you're gloat has just rubbed it in!!
By the way, those are some nice looking chunks of wood!! Good on ya!

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2010, 8:02 PM
Congrats on a great haul and the scenery is beautiful.

Baxter Smith
07-30-2010, 9:04 PM
WOW! Congrats on the wood! Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing!

I think I would have been fishing for awhile after getting the boat loaded! Sure looked like you had fun!
Not much in the way of fishing in these waters anymore Steve though I have caught some striped bass and mackerel. Lobster on the other hand....this small bay produces more lobster per square mile than any other place in the world.

Wow, I didn't think there was much stuff like that out here. I just moved to Seaford a year ago. Lower Slower DE.... man that is right. Feels like I moved back 20 years.
Seaford is definitely lower and slower.:)

Baxter, you are so cruel! Just two weeks before I get out of this 90-105 degree heat and head to cool Colorado! And you're gloat has just rubbed it in!!
By the way, those are some nice looking chunks of wood!! Good on ya!
Sorry Allen! A pleasant 64 right now. Won't need the fan in the window tonight as it is supposed to get down to 53. 73 and sunny tomorrow. :DMy niece is getting married in a couple of weeks and flying to Colorado for her honeymoon. I will tell her to keep an eye out for a traveling turner.

Congrats on a great haul and the scenery is beautiful.
Thanks Bernie, I can't argue on the scenery!

Curt Fuller
07-30-2010, 9:06 PM
Nice gloat, and beautiful pics. Is that the ocean or a lake?

Baxter Smith
07-31-2010, 9:47 PM
Its the ocean Curt (on a very calm day). 6 hours later and the water would have been 8 ft lower and I would have been slipping and sliding over the seaweed to load. Somedays you are just happy to get yourself into the skiff!:)