PDA

View Full Version : High pitched sound using Ridgid Pro hose

David Hanames
07-28-2010, 9:38 PM
I Just purchased the Ridgid Pro 10' hose for my Vacuum (Brand new - Ridgid Model:: WD1670) and I immediately noticed a high pitched sound. If I unplug the hose the sound immediately stops. This is a smaller diameter than the hose that came with the vacuum, Could that be the problem. Must I stick with the larger diameter?
Any recommendations on a replacement hose that I can use which will work well?

Thanks...

Nathan Callender
07-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the smaller diameter is restricting airflow, so what you're hearing is the motor spinning at a higher rpm (shop vacs spin faster with less/no airflow - there's no resistance).

Lee Schierer
07-29-2010, 8:03 AM
High velocity air flow through certain types of corrugated pipe or tubing will produce a high pitched whistle. Reducing the air flow may help.

glenn bradley
07-29-2010, 8:46 AM
I have a 25' larger diameter hose which Ridgid no longer carries. Wish I'd known because I would have bought a spare. I've been dragging it around the shop for 6 years with no problems other than a spot where pulled it up against an exposed belt (doh!). The shape (along with other correct conditions) causes your sound issue but I have not found an available alternative to the "Mr. Nozzle" style hose you are referring to.

Hugh Jardon
07-29-2010, 9:05 AM
I have a Black Friday special RIDGID vac, which cost a whole $20. It came with the 1 7/8 hose, which whistles (especially with a nozzle on the end). I bought a 2 1/2 hose (which also cost $20!!) that fits my tools, and it no longer whistles. Ergo, the airflow through the smaller diameter was causing the whistling.

David Hanames
07-29-2010, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. Although I like the new hose, I can't put up with the whistle and will return it. I am going to look for a better quality 2 1/2 inch hose to avoid the whistle.

My local home depot doesn't have anything in a 2 1/2 hose .. anyone have a good recommendation for a decent quality 2 1/2 hose?

Hugh Jardon
07-29-2010, 9:55 AM
Have them order this:

The one I got in store (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1/R-100016791/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Van Huskey
07-29-2010, 2:48 PM
I am a fan of hoses from these guys:

http://www.mrnozzleinc.com/

I had a small diameter Bosch hose that did the same thing.

Don Wurscher
07-31-2010, 8:57 AM
If you really want a howl, connect a sump pump drain hose to a vacuum, by twisting you can change the sound. Even play a tune if that is your
forte (ha-ha)

Cliff Holmes
08-01-2010, 4:42 PM
I also recently tried the Rigid pro hose and returned it because of the banshee howl it makes. However, I just found that Lowes sells the same type of hose, a Shop Vac brand pro "contractor" hose. I just tried it a few minutes ago. While it looks almost identical to the Rigid hose (except it's blue), it does not howl like the Rigid hose does. And it's less expensive!

I have a Rigid 6.5 HP vac and it fits with no problems.

David Hanames
08-01-2010, 8:02 PM
Thanks Cliff for the reply, I will pick up a Shop Vac hose and see if I have the same experience.

Cliff Holmes
08-01-2010, 8:08 PM
You're welcome. BTW, the reason for the howl with the Rigid hose is the air volume being pushed over that ridged interior. When I hooked the same hose to a lower-CFM vacuum, there was no howling. The interior of the Lowes hose is also ridged, but subtly different to prevent the noise.

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I went a different route. I have a couple of Sears 16 vacs, which came with the hose that "screws" on the fittings that plug into vac, and tools. I bought from Woodcraft a 10' section of their 2 1/2" flexible dust collection hose, and screwed my fitting on. At first, it whined, but as it relaxed, the whining went away.