PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Lamp

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 9:38 PM
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP1102.jpg

This is a picture of a Mahogany Lamp I turned about a year ago. I had this piece of wood sitting in the corner of my shop for about 5 years, and decided one day it was too nice to continue to collect dust.....

so I made a lamp for the living room. At least my wife likes it...:D

Willie Wax
07-28-2010, 9:49 PM
Very nice work, I will have to put this idea into my wish bucket!

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2010, 9:49 PM
That is a great looking lamp.

John Keeton
07-28-2010, 9:54 PM
Roger, your spindle turning roots served you well! Nice lamp - and Bernie has turned a bunch of them, so he knows a good lamp when he sees one!

Beautiful piece of mahogany, too.

Paul Douglass
07-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Nice job. Now you got me thinking about an oak one to put next to the oak morris chair I built.

James Combs
07-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Nice job. Now you got me thinking about an oak one to put next to the oak morris chair I built.

And you got me thinking similar thoughts as Paul.

Terry Achey
07-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I like it, too Roger. Very "enlightening" piece. I have a maple lamp roughed out and soaking in DNA right now. Hope mine turns out just as nice as yours did ;).

Terry

Gary Simmons
07-29-2010, 10:11 AM
very nice... one question, I have been thinking of doing a lamp myself, what have you found to be the best way to drill the center hole, especially on a long piece?

bob svoboda
07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
very nice lamp

Prashun Patel
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Lovely! (I'd take the plastic off, though...;))

Thom Sturgill
07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
nice piece, that may inspire me to use that kit I bought last year... I have made one as a Christmas present for a grand-daughter to use in her new apartment, but could use one in our living room too. I already have the tools...:o

Mark Hubl
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
That is a lovely lamp. Great looking piece.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
That's a nice looking lamp Roger! Got sort of a classic look to it! Don't understand the thumbs down sign attached to your title. Do you not like it?

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 12:47 PM
That's a nice looking lamp Roger! Got sort of a classic look to it! Don't understand the thumbs down sign attached to your title. Do you not like it?

Thanks Steve,

That thumbs down symbol just showed up without my consent! I guess the icon was marked and I did not realize it. I don't know how to go back and change it, so I just left it alone.

Shawn,

Yeah, I know about the plastic..... I had just gotten the shade and had not taken it off yet, and well it does serve as a dust cover!

Gary,

As far as drilling the hole, I just left it mounted between centers, and then drilled from the tail stock end.... then I rotated the piece and drilled the other half with a long 3/8" drill bit.

My old lathe did not have a through hole in the spindle, so I had to turn it end for end. My new lathe has holes through the spindle and tailstock, so now I would just leave it between centers and drill from the headstock halfway, and then drill from the tailstock the other half. Alignment should be dead on.

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2010, 2:04 PM
I removed the thumbs down sign. Don't want folks to get the wrong idea!

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 2:22 PM
I removed the thumbs down sign. Don't want folks to get the wrong idea!

As ALWAYS, you are so gracious! Thank you, Steve!