PDA

View Full Version : Glaser screw chuck, au deux

Mike Minto
07-28-2010, 8:20 PM
Couldn't believe my good fortune - found a Glaser screw chuck to fit my 1x8 spindled mini-lathe - that makes a pair along with my 1.25x8!

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2010, 9:51 PM
Congrats Mike. Now that looks like a hefty piece.

David Peebles
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi Mike,

Nice score!!

I also have two of them. One for my Jet mini and one for my big Oneway.

I would not sell either one for any amount of money... Well... maybe a million dollars. :) but I would have to think about it for a few years.

Best wishes,

Dave

Philip Duffy
07-29-2010, 5:11 AM
Mike, Was it a used chuck or did you find a source for new ones? Phil

Mike Minto
07-29-2010, 9:39 AM
Mike, Was it a used chuck or did you find a source for new ones? Phil

Phil, it is a 'used' one, but looks new as the seller said he had only used it a couple of times. I did visit the 'glaser/hi-tec' website, though, and while it says they will be selling alot of really cool tools, including these, I've not received a reply to either email I sent them. The website is very incomplete, as well. Maybe one day they will get it together, don't know.

Mark Hubl
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Very nice. A couple of guys in our club highly endorse these and will not part with them. Good score for sure.

David DeCristoforo
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I had one of the "original" Glaser chucks. I got it in '85 and it was polished steel, not black. I don't know what the #$%!! happened to it. I know I did not sell it or give it away so it has to be "around somewhere"....

Mike Willeson
07-29-2010, 1:15 PM
Sorry to be uninformed, but these Glaser screw chucks seem to be rare and expensive. What makes them so?

Peter Lamb
07-29-2010, 2:20 PM
I have recently purchased a Glaser Screw Chuck from Paulo Marin.
His email is ceo@cetinc.com He has manufactured hundreds of them.
I actually saw a picture of them.
Good luck,
Peter

Wally Dickerman
07-29-2010, 4:04 PM
I have 3 Glaser screw chucks. Simply the best on the market. A bit pricey but worth it. The threads are so thin that they displace almost no wood.

I had a Nichols lathe that had left hand threads. Jerry Glaser made me a chuck to fit the LH threads and the screw also has left hand threads. Some day I'll have it cross threaded to fit my 33m Oneway spindle.

Wally