PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Chestnut Vase

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 5:31 PM
This is my first posting of a picture of a turning that I have done. I have numerous other turnings, but this is my first picture [I am just learning how to post pictures]

The photography is not the best [I'll have to work on this as well, please be patient while I get it all sorted out] :)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP2214.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP2209.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP2215.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP2205.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/300mag_photos/IMGP2213.jpg

John Hart
07-28-2010, 5:40 PM
Way to go Roger! The curve through the body is nice and even which is a pretty difficult thing to achieve consistently. And the wood has some nice character. I hope those cracks through the pith don't progress...but even if they do...its a keeper.:)

What are its dimensions?

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 5:52 PM
Way to go Roger! The curve through the body is nice and even which is a pretty difficult thing to achieve consistently. And the wood has some nice character. I hope those cracks through the pith don't progress...but even if they do...its a keeper.:)

What are its dimensions?

John,

The dimensions are 6" high, 4" wide, and the opening in the top is 1-1/2" wide. I did stabilize the cracks on the bottom with a little CA glue, so I hoping it holds the spread to where it is.

John, this was only my 2nd hollowing job I have done. Most of my nearly 10 years of owning a lathe was spindle work [table legs, etc.] The hollowing was done with Ellsworth tools that I made handles for 27" and 22" for the bent tool. I couldn't believe the amount of torque on my hands and forearm. :eek: My other hollow vessel was done with a sorby Hollowmaster, and it gave me fits,and I ended up leaving the walls too thick on it.

The wall thickness on this little vase is 1/4" so it feels a bit heavy, but I did not want to go thinner until I get the hang of using these hollowing tools. I may have to get me a captured handle rig though, as now I know why doing it freehand is difficult. It takes a lot of strength to keep the tool oriented correctly.

David Christopher
07-28-2010, 6:38 PM
Roger, that pretty nice, but couldnt you have used american chestnut....LOL

David E Keller
07-28-2010, 6:42 PM
That looks pretty good for a second hollowing and the first with your Ellsworth tools. I like the wood and the little areas of contrasting color. John is right about the curve... It's nice and consistent.

You're right about the beating that hollowing can give you... My arms from shoulder down get pretty sore if I really get after it with the hand tools.

Looking forward to some more photos.

John Keeton
07-28-2010, 7:26 PM
Roger, you did a right good job!! And, congrats on the first pic, too! Not bad photography either.

I agree on the form - a consistent roundness is more difficult than an ogee IMO. You did well. And, the wood is interesting. I have a blank of this in the shop that I need to turn. I think mine is going to be darker from the looks of it.

I couldn't believe the amount of torque on my hands and forearm. :eek: .... It takes a lot of strength to keep the tool oriented correctly.

You're right about the beating that hollowing can give you... My arms from shoulder down get pretty sore if I really get after it with the hand tools.And, this is why, after a half dozen or so HFs, I ordered the Monster rig - as did David! Mine is (will be!) the articulated only, but David folded and upgraded to the articulated/captured combo.

Roger, HFs are a bit addicting - sort of a sub-vortex within the vortex. You may want to start giving this some thought!!:D;)

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 7:38 PM
Roger, you did a right good job!! And, congrats on the first pic, too! Not bad photography either.

I agree on the form - a consistent roundness is more difficult than an ogee IMO. You did well. And, the wood is interesting. I have a blank of this in the shop that I need to turn. I think mine is going to be darker from the looks of it.

And, this is why, after a half dozen or so HFs, I ordered the Monster rig - as did David! Mine is (will be!) the articulated only, but David folded and upgraded to the articulated/captured combo.

Roger, HFs are a bit addicting - sort of a sub-vortex within the vortex. You may want to start giving this some thought!!:D;)

John!

Another vortex?! :eek::eek: I can barely afford the one I"m already in...... but alas, I do like new toys! :D:D So, I will definitely keep this monster system in mind [after seeing your postings and tool gloat and an upcoming HF] but I have in mind 2 things before a new hollowing rig.... and that is a vacuum chuck system [I'm almost ready to take a leap on that one] and a new air powered respirator, which I may get from a WC store in Roanoke this weekend.

By the way John, what is the difference between the monster system and the cobra system? I want quality, and affordability [if that is possible in the VORTEX]

David E Keller
07-28-2010, 7:48 PM
Mine is (will be!) the articulated only, but David folded and upgraded to the articulated/captured combo.

Folded?:mad: Folded?:mad::eek: OK, yes I folded:o, but now I will feel obligated to post repeatedly about how much I like the captured system better than the articulated one forcing you to question your decision not to buy both. Oh yes, sweet revenge will be mine.:cool:

Allen Neighbors
07-28-2010, 7:50 PM
Roger, nice work. All you guys, posting pics of your first and second this-and-that! I'm jealous as heck. My firsts and seconds, of everything (plural) that I've turned weren't nice enough to even sign... let alone post for the world to see. :( :D
Roger, I like the shape of this one. I guess it's the first time I've seen Chinese Chestnut. It does remind me of Ash, somewhat. Good going! Save this one, so you can look back on it in a year or so, and see how much you've improved.

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 7:53 PM
Folded?:mad: Folded?:mad::eek: OK, yes I folded:o, but now I will feel obligated to post repeatedly about how much I like the captured system better than the articulated one forcing you to question your decision not to buy both. Oh yes, sweet revenge will be mine.:cool:

Why David, I'm shocked!:eek: But I would also like to see a good picture of it as well......

Is there a sin called "tool lust?" I sure hope not, cause I might be a tad guilty? :o

David E Keller
07-28-2010, 7:57 PM
Roger, you can count on a photo when it arrives.

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 8:07 PM
Roger, nice work. All you guys, posting pics of your first and second this-and-that! I'm jealous as heck. My firsts and seconds, of everything (plural) that I've turned weren't nice enough to even sign... let alone post for the world to see. :( :D
Roger, I like the shape of this one. I guess it's the first time I've seen Chinese Chestnut. It does remind me of Ash, somewhat. Good going! Save this one, so you can look back on it in a year or so, and see how much you've improved.

Allen,

Good to hear from you! Just so I did not confuse everyone reading this thread, I have turned many other things table legs, candlestick, bowls, goblets, more bowls and did I mention bowls? :D etc,etc,etc.... I just have not ever posted a picture of any thing I have turned before..... mainly because my computer skills are on a kindergarden level and I have to have my son show me how to do things! :o:o;)

I would consider myself an intermediate level turner, but I have higher aspirations. :D

Roger Chandler
07-28-2010, 8:09 PM
Roger, you can count on a photo when it arrives.

Looking forward to the pics! Congrats on the rig, BTW!

Baxter Smith
07-28-2010, 8:12 PM
Nice looking vase Roger! Only Horse Chestnuts around here.:)
Aesculus hippocastanum (just in case Leo reads this);):)

John Keeton
07-28-2010, 8:13 PM
Roger, I have no personal knowledge of the Kobra system, though there have been a few threads comparing the systems to a degree. I did have an opportunity to use the Monster articulated system (http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=262&category_id=63) and it is sweet!! While I felt very comfortable with my decision based on other creekers experiences, you should reach your own conclusion.

Here are a few threads that may be helpful -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141069 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141069)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=89542

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98434

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73933

Michael James
07-28-2010, 8:39 PM
Roger,
Interesting vessel. Nice work - form and finish!
After my creeker visit to Joe M and his covey of rough turned vessels (pic posted) I ordered the mini monster. It's designed to fit my current 10" mini and designed to work with the next lathe, a Delta 12".
Watching D Ellsworth do his rodeo thing on a BIG lathe....I got the message.:eek:
BTW Nice photos...keep em coming!
mj

Roland Martin
07-28-2010, 8:56 PM
Nice turning, wood and finish. I get the feeling we'll be seeing many more from you:D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice looking vase Roger! Only Horse Chestnuts around here.:)
Aesculus hippocastanum (just in case Leo reads this);):)

Ha, not even in the same family Baxter, American and Chinese and European Chestnut are in the Castanea family

The Horse chestnut are in the Aesculus family, with the American Buckeye, Indian and European horse chestnut.

The wood is also quite different, where the Chestnut is a harder open grained wood that is decay resistant, the Horse chestnut is soft and close grained, but it can have some nice dark coloration.

There was all kinds of sweet Chestnut in the area I come from in Holland, also Horse Chestnut trees, I tried to grow some sweet Chestnut trees from seeds, they did sprout but kept dying off on me so I gave up ;)

Oh sorry Roger :o, yes pretty good vase you made there, keep it up:)

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 1:24 PM
Roger, that pretty nice, but couldnt you have used american chestnut....LOL

Uh, David,

I thought about it, but shucks, there doesn't seem to be too many of them around my neighborhood anymore....... hummm? ;):D

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 1:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement......and the info on hollowing rigs!

There just might be another "tool gloat" in the not-to-far-distant future :eek::D;)

Steve Schlumpf
07-29-2010, 2:07 PM
Nice work Roger! Really like the wood!

Mark Hubl
07-29-2010, 2:10 PM
Nice HF Roger. As others have said, getting into HF's is a whole new addiction. They can be a bit of work though. You will get the hang of the tools but the nasty catch is always just a spin away. I am getting better but I can usually count on one or two "moments" during a hollowing session. Congrats, look forward to seeing some more HF's from you.

Bernie Weishapl
07-29-2010, 4:35 PM
That is a really nice vase Roger. I wish my first had looked that good.