PDA

View Full Version : BS Tensioning

Jim Rimmer
07-28-2010, 1:55 PM
I have a new Grizzly G0555X and have been through the set up. I have a Timberwolf blade on it and followed the flutter test instructions in the Grizzly manual and the Timberwolf book they send out. I resawed some QS White Oak and it came out pretty good but not as smooth as some I've heard people decribe.

My quetion is, when trying the flutter method, I wasn't really sure if I saw the blade flutter. How much does it actually move? Is it easy to see?

Pete Bradley
07-28-2010, 2:09 PM
What's the band that you're using? How tall is the cut? Is the wood green or dry? What's your experience level? All of these contribute to cut quality.

If the band looks fuzzy while it's running it's fluttering, if it looks solid it's not. Look at the back of the band (the side going up) also. If you're not sure you have enough tension, it won't hurt to give the knob another half turn.

Pete

Van Huskey
07-28-2010, 2:39 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of the flutter method but some people have good luck with it.

I will echo Pete though, what band are you using?

Plus, you will get better resawing results with a Kerfmaster/Bladerunner/Woodslicer type blade.

Prashun Patel
07-28-2010, 2:53 PM
The thinner the blade, the easier to see the flutter.

Also, when it flutters, you can actually HEAR it hum.

I have a hard time fluttering 1/2" and thicker blades.

Jon van der Linden
07-28-2010, 4:04 PM
Best thing to do is to find out how it looks when it's done right. There are 3 ways to do this:

1) Find someone near you with experience that can show you.
2) Buy a bandsaw tension gauge.
3) Make a tension gauge (I recall some instructions on that in a magazine a few years back, I believe it was written by Louis Iturra who also sells an inexpensive tension gauge.)

The first is definitely the cheapest and you might learn more than just the proper tension. Making a new friend just for the cost of a beer or something is always worth it.