PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Scroll saw now Delta

Dave Lehnert
07-28-2010, 1:52 AM
Not sure if this Delta unit will replace the DeWalt.
Wonder if they are redoing there brand names like Bench tools Delta, Hand power tools DeWalt?????

http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DELTA/TOOLS/LARGE/4/40-690_1.jpg

Will Overton
07-28-2010, 8:26 AM
There was something announced awhile ago that the new line up would be;

Black and Decker = homeowner
Porter Cable = a slight step up, competing with the likes of Ryobi
DeWalt = professional quality tools
Delta = professional quality tools

Based on that, carrying the same tool in the Delta and DeWalt brands would be redundant, but a cheaper version in the Porter Cable line will target a different audience.

Back in the 80's Black and Decker was having trouble selling its commercial line of hand held power tools, because they made such an effort marketing the homeowner line and the consumer didn't instinctively separate the two. In what turned out to be a good decision, they invested in a bunch of yellow plastic and wrapped it around their commercial tools, and instead of calling the B&D Commercial, they called them DeWalt (a name they already owned). Like the DeWalt tools or not, it's hard to argued that they aren't popular.

Sears has never learned that lesson. A 19.99 or a $209.99 Craftsman drill is still a Craftsman. Now, a person buys the $19.99 drill, then complains that Craftsman tools don't hold up like the DeWalt his buddy uses. He then buys a DeWalt for $200 and is convinced that DeWalt is better than Craftsman. At the time B&D made the change to yellow, the same tools were still being made in black, and sold as the Craftsman Industrial line. Of course the DeWalt were better ... because they were yellow. :rolleyes:

Now that Stanley Toolworks bought Black and Decker (and the associated brands) we'll have to see how their business plan develops.

Dave Sweeney
07-28-2010, 8:56 AM
As long as Delta still produces and sells the Shopmaster line Delta can't be classified as a "professional quality tools" line.

Will Overton
07-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Dave,
I pretty much agree with that, and if Stanley continues the transition we may see those tools showing up in Porter Cable line up.

On the other hand, my ShopMaster, made in USA, 10" Radial Arm Saw is a pretty tough machine. I was surprised to see the ShopMaster lable on it when it was delivered in '05. I'm also not sure they can put a Porter Cable label on, what is now, a $1000+ saw. Time will tell.