PDA

View Full Version : 3D look with engraving function?

Jim Underwood
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I suppose I'm pushing the envelope tonight, but I got's other weird questions...:rolleyes:

1. Has anyone ever used the engraving function in their software and a v-bit to make pierced panels? You would have to use this in conjunction with a 2D path,and a flat bit to cut the piercing.

2. Has anyone ever used the engraving function with a large diameter (ex: 1-1/2") ballnose bit to make scooped out 3D looking hollows? I'm imagining it using it on leaf shapes to get a more 3D look.

3. Is there a way to use the engraving function with V-bit to place veining along a relief surface? I suppose the depth of the V-bit would depend upon the width of the outline to be engraved. I'm pretty sure trial and error with simulations would get the desired effect, but it'd be nice if you could specify "engrave from top of relief" instead of top of the material.

All of these questions stem from a desire to make something 3D without the longer machining time it takes to carve something with a small dia. ballnose with appropriate stepover...

Robert Alexander
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Jim, I don't know if this is what you are thinking about. But I carved this end piece with a 1/2" end mill, then used a 1" ball nose to get the curved edge. I did not need any 3-D to make it.This type of carving can be done in all 2-d software.

Jim Underwood
07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Well using the 2D path with shaped tooling, in order to get 3D form with less intensive machining is what I'm after, but that's not quite what I was asking.

Usually in order to use the "engrave" function in a particular software such as ArtCAM or AlphaCAM, you need to start with a closed outline. Then you would apply the "engrave" function to it using a V-bit.

For instance if you had a square and engraved it, you would then have an inverted pyramid shape, because the engrave command would compute the ramped cuts from the size of the square, the angle of the V-bit, and depth you wanted to cut.

What I'm after is using a large ballnose on an enclosed shape using the engrave command. This way all you have are 2D ramped cuts and can still get a nice scooped 3D shape.

I kinda envision this being used on say, a white oak leaf shape to get the vertical 3D looking undulations, in conjunction with a 2D flat outline tool to get the shape.