PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Shop Vac warning... kind of

Bill Huber
07-27-2010, 11:16 PM
If you have a Ridgid 6.5hp or other shop vac of that class you may want to take about 10 min. and lube the bushing.

I was working in the shop and was cleaning up and I noticed the shop vac sounded a little different. Then I could smell something and when I went over to the vac the smell was coming form it.

I shut it down and took the cover off the motor, the bushing was shoot. The armature was rubbing on the windings and getting hot.

You can not replace the bushing so I guess I will just get a new motor. There is a felt ring around the bushing that should have had some oil on it but it was dry as a bone.

So I guess it would not hurt to oil that bushing and felt ring and save you the problem of replacing the motor.

Van Huskey
07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Good to know. How long have you owned it and how much use?

Bill Huber
07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Good to know. How long have you owned it and how much use?

I have had it about 3 years and it is my only DC, I use it on the table saw, sander and the band saw.

I will check this motor and make sure it has some oil in it.

Rich Engelhardt
07-28-2010, 6:32 AM
Bill,
Good info.

I have like 4 Ridgid shop vacs I use all the time - the ones they blow out for $29.00 on Black Friday.

Even though I think of them as disposable, I hate to see something die if there's an easy way to prevent it.

Philip Johnson
07-28-2010, 7:31 AM
The last rigid vac I bought a few years ago had a lifetime warranty for repairs I probably could not find the receipt anyways

Phil

Marty Paulus
07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I have a Rigid sump pump with a life time warranty. I was told when I bought it that as long as they can read the name Ridid on the pump it was covered under the warranty. I tested that just about a year after I bought it and it quit. I took the pump into the return desk and the lady told me to go get a new one. I went to the shelf, grabbed a new one and took it back to her. She put the old broke pump in the box, handed me the new pump and said have a nice day. No looking me up in the computer or anything. I paid a few dollars more for this pump when I bought it because of the warranty and it is well worth it in my book. My guess is that it is the same for the shop vac. No receipt necessary with the life time warranty.

glenn bradley
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks Bill. I have a 6.5 that I have been running for about 6 years. I will give it some attention right after work. Better maintained, than replaced.

Bob Turkovich
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a Rigid sump pump with a life time warranty. I was told when I bought it that as long as they can read the name Ridid on the pump it was covered under the warranty. I tested that just about a year after I bought it and it quit. I took the pump into the return desk and the lady told me to go get a new one. I went to the shelf, grabbed a new one and took it back to her. She put the old broke pump in the box, handed me the new pump and said have a nice day. No looking me up in the computer or anything. I paid a few dollars more for this pump when I bought it because of the warranty and it is well worth it in my book. My guess is that it is the same for the shop vac. No receipt necessary with the life time warranty.

I had the exact same experience last year. Pump broke down about 9PM, (I had the receipt and warranty in hand...) ran to the store and they gave me a new one....however.....

Did you check the new "Lifetime" warranty??? It requires you send the pump to an authorized repair facility for periodic (every 18 months if I recall correctly) preventive maintenance including switch replacement. If you don't, the warranty is now void.:eek: I believe the service costs are the customers responsibility. I figured that in about 5 years, you would end up paying the cost of a new one. I have no idea what you do for a pump while yours is in for maintenance (other than buying a spare.)

I intended to write to HD to complain about their new lifetime policy. Thanks for the reminder;)

Bruce Wrenn
07-28-2010, 9:44 PM
Ridgid power tools DON'T have a lifetime warranty, but you can sign up for a lifetime service agreement (for free.) I have the service agreement on my LI drills, and already have had a set of batteries replaced under it.

mreza Salav
07-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Ridgid power tools DON'T have a lifetime warranty, but you can sign up for a lifetime service agreement (for free.) I have the service agreement on my LI drills, and already have had a set of batteries replaced under it.

That is true, they are "lifetime service agreement" and you have to register for it, BUT for the Ridgid Shopvac I have I'm fairly sure it is a lifetime Warranty. Check the Ridgid tools website, it reads: Full lifetime warrany.