PDA

View Full Version : No. 12 Walnut Coin Bowl (The fix is in)

James Combs
07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I had a short ~3ft piece of 4/4 x 6" walnut with a big knot hole in one end so I thought I would make use of a piece of it. So, for your critique and musings here is a small walnut coin bowl. You may have seen my previous post showing the effect of a bad catch when turning it. I did some gluing and some patch work and I think It turned out pretty decent.

Stats:
Nicely figured Walnut
One coat CA Finish then Triple E and finally wax.
Brass Filings and epoxy inlay
Diameter - 5.5 Inches
Height - 1 inch

If you look closely at this photo you can see the hairline crack where I glued it back together.

Terry Achey
07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I like the form and the inlay, James. I like having small coin-type bowls around the house and as gifts. Nicely done. ;)

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2010, 11:22 PM
James that is a beauty and really like the inlay. Well done.

Mark Hubl
07-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Looks good. Nice save. I like undercut bowls and dishes.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
That's a very good save James, and yes a nice little bowl, looking good :)

gary Zimmel
07-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Great little bowl James. The inlay adds the finishing touch..

William Hutchinson
07-28-2010, 5:56 AM
Good save, I didn't notice the repair. The brass filings inlay is also a nice feature.

Tom Sherman
07-28-2010, 6:37 AM
A nice little bowl James, the inlay is just enough and looks like it belongs.

John Keeton
07-28-2010, 6:40 AM
JD, very nice save on that bowl, and certainly worth the effort! I enjoyed doing the couple of bowls I did with the brass filings, and I need to do another. It really dresses them up IMO, and looks great with walnut.

Roland Martin
07-28-2010, 6:57 AM
Nice save James:). The brass inlay blends in very well with the deep walnut color. Nice finish also.

Fred Perreault
07-28-2010, 6:58 AM
James, I recall the mess you had when it exploded. I can't see where you repaired it. What a great save effort, and a beauty from any angle.

Baxter Smith
07-28-2010, 7:26 AM
Very pretty bowl with a nice inlay. Great save!

Paul Singer
07-28-2010, 7:42 AM
I really like it but I have to know how you do the inlay. Are the brass filings mixed with CA? I can see myself covered with shiny brass sparkles after i try to put the stuff in the recess.

David E Keller
07-28-2010, 8:16 AM
Nicely done. I like the rim detail and the band of brass.

How much do you charge to fix broken bowls? Nothing I've ever tried to patch has turned out as nice, so I'm thinking you may be the guy to send my broken bowls to.:eek::D:D

Tim Rinehart
07-28-2010, 8:53 AM
James, great save on that one. I have not had as good a success as you with repairs like that..that piece is super, and I really like the inlay work.

charlie knighton
07-28-2010, 9:25 AM
very nice bowl

Frank Van Atta
07-28-2010, 1:48 PM
I made a very similar "coin bowl" out of Badi, but it turned out that getting the coins out with the undercut rim was a pain.

Joshua Dinerstein
07-28-2010, 2:04 PM
That is truly a nice looking bowl. Well done!

Joshua

bob svoboda
07-28-2010, 2:06 PM
I really like the form Jim. Nice save and a very nice bowl.

Tom Lewis
07-28-2010, 3:26 PM
Very nice, the brass ring looks great!

David DeCristoforo
07-28-2010, 3:45 PM
Way to go! Looks great. Good save. I wish my last "save" had worked out so well...

Chris Haas
07-28-2010, 4:58 PM
really nice, i love the finish

Thom Sturgill
07-28-2010, 5:15 PM
Nice save. I like that general form and have done a few myself. Well done.

Paul Douglass
07-28-2010, 8:01 PM
Very nice work!

Wayne Hendrix
07-28-2010, 8:27 PM
Looks great and now I know what to do with the 4/4 walnut board I have in my garage.

James Combs
07-28-2010, 9:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.:) My inspiration comes indirectly from SMC and directly from you guys.:rolleyes:

I like the form and the inlay, James. I like having small coin-type bowls around the house and as gifts. Nicely done. ;)

Terry

Terry I am good at copying others work but generally lack true originality. This is the first bowl I have turned that I felt was an original. I had a vision of a plate with the brass inlay but had not even thought of a coin tray, until I got it done that is, it was only then that I realized that it looked familiar:(... a coin tray, dang I thought I really had something original.:eek:

Good save, I didn't notice the repair. The brass filings inlay is also a nice feature.

William, the one photo shows a hairline crack toward the top right side just below the rim and in another photo you can see two dark areas. Those are patches for the pieces I couldn't find.

James, I recall the mess you had when it exploded. I can't see where you repaired it. What a great save effort, and a beauty from any angle.

Fred, for a save I guess it didn't turn out too bad based on all the feedback I'm getting

I really like it but I have to know how you do the inlay. Are the brass filings mixed with CA? I can see myself covered with shiny brass sparkles after i try to put the stuff in the recess.

Paul, & everyone else that commented on the inlay: Obviously the first thing is to cut a grove where you want the inlay. I then procured key maker machine grindings from Loews and mixed them with 5 minute epoxy. I pressed the mixture into the grove to overflowing and let it set over night then just turned off the excess down to fresh wood.

Actually I was hoping the fillings wood be a little brassier after the turning but as it turned out I think the understated brass color turned out better.

Nicely done. I like the rim detail and the band of brass.

How much do you charge to fix broken bowls? Nothing I've ever tried to patch has turned out as nice, so I'm thinking you may be the guy to send my broken bowls to.:eek::D:D

David, I doubt that your bank account is big enough:D:D:eek:

I made a very similar "coin bowl" out of Badi, but it turned out that getting the coins out with the undercut rim was a pain.

Frank, I am hoping that I won't have to find that out. I am going to a craft sale next month and it will be in it.

Looks great and now I know what to do with the 4/4 walnut board I have in my garage.

Wayne, Glad I can return the inspiration favor:rolleyes:;) (see beginning of this post.)