PDA

View Full Version : Radiused skew honing

Jake Helmboldt
07-27-2010, 9:45 PM
For those of you using a skew with a radiused edge, how do you hone it (and retain the radius)? I hone my skews on an oil stone, but haven't tried doing so with a radiused grind.

Any tips?

Michael James
07-27-2010, 9:59 PM
Alan Lacer is big on honed edges on a skew. I haven't seen his 2nd effort, son of skew, but his 1st covers it in detail. I hone, and just make sure that your stone touches "both sides of the hollow". I havent perfected it yet, but I go to the grinder less and less the better I get.
Just a thought.........
mj

Mark Hubl
07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Check out lacers web site. He has articles posted on sharpening and honing skews. I also looked up honing the other day and got a lacer site or article that discussed honing in detail.

Greg Just
07-27-2010, 11:00 PM
My skew has the Lacer radius and I hone with a Lacer diamond slip stone. I don't spend nearly as much time at the grinder.

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I hone my big Lacer skew basically the same as my others. I use the Lacer diamond hone.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I hone all 3 of my skews using a diamond hone.

Last Sunday on Woodturning Workshop with Tim Yoder, Alan Lacer was the guest and all the progam was about was sharpening.

He hones every turning tool.....gouges and skews.

Jim Sebring
07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
I lay my skew flat on my drill press table and hone each side with one of the diamond paddle hones available from Woodcraft. I find it's easier to find the bevel using the narrower paddle hones than the wider diamond card type Alan prefers.

Peter P. Brown
07-28-2010, 1:00 PM
I power hone.

1. because it's easy
2. because its easy

I use a piece of mdf mounted to a faceplate. Load it up with honing compound and place the tool just like your grinding it. It's easy to slap on the lathe and hone my skews and gouges.

Note: The honing wheel should always be turning away from the tools edge. Otherwise you're cutting not honing.

http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/honingturningtools.htm

Near the bottom is the power honing how-to

Joshua Dinerstein
07-28-2010, 2:41 PM
I do it by hand with a 2"x4" diamond plate hone.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking but here are the mechanics that I use. With standard grind skew I can hone the entire edge all at once. I find the 2-points of contact at the cutting edge and the back of the bevel and I can get the entire cutting surface on 1 side at 1 time. Then you just lather, rinse and repeat on the other side.

One thing that was hard for me to really learn, as in wrap my mind around, was that I was neither grinding not shaping but just sharpening when I did this. In other worse I found myself over honing things and vigorously removing metal rather than just enough to get a truly keen edge. I still find myself doing this. Not sure what it is such an ingrained habit but it is.

On my radiused skew I do the same process. But I can't get the entire cutting edge at one time. I start with the "flat" on the toe of the skew. And then work my way around to the heel. The best advise I can give on this, based only on my own personal experiences, is to keep the hone moving from 1 end to the other of the tool. For me I find that when I stop and try the next point I have trouble finding the 2 points of contact and at times I have put noticeable ridges between the 3 planes on the skew I was target to hone. Again I start on the toe and try in about 5 pumping motions to get to the heel of the cutting edge. Takes just a little bit of practice and you get the motion down.

I don't know if it would help to go back and forth or do make even more passes... Mostly the 1-pass method for me to try and stop using my hone to grind my tools. :)

Good luck. Once I got it sharp and got some practice in I found that the skew is my favorite spindle turning tool bar none.

Joshua

Jake Helmboldt
07-28-2010, 8:07 PM
I do it by hand with a 2"x4" diamond plate hone.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking but here are the mechanics that I use. With standard grind skew I can hone the entire edge all at once. I find the 2-points of contact at the cutting edge and the back of the bevel and I can get the entire cutting surface on 1 side at 1 time. Then you just lather, rinse and repeat on the other side.

One thing that was hard for me to really learn, as in wrap my mind around, was that I was neither grinding not shaping but just sharpening when I did this. In other worse I found myself over honing things and vigorously removing metal rather than just enough to get a truly keen edge. I still find myself doing this. Not sure what it is such an ingrained habit but it is.

On my radiused skew I do the same process. But I can't get the entire cutting edge at one time. I start with the "flat" on the toe of the skew. And then work my way around to the heel. The best advise I can give on this, based only on my own personal experiences, is to keep the hone moving from 1 end to the other of the tool. For me I find that when I stop and try the next point I have trouble finding the 2 points of contact and at times I have put noticeable ridges between the 3 planes on the skew I was target to hone. Again I start on the toe and try in about 5 pumping motions to get to the heel of the cutting edge. Takes just a little bit of practice and you get the motion down.

I don't know if it would help to go back and forth or do make even more passes... Mostly the 1-pass method for me to try and stop using my hone to grind my tools. :)

Good luck. Once I got it sharp and got some practice in I found that the skew is my favorite spindle turning tool bar none.

Joshua

Thanks Joshua; my brain has been too fried from work lately and I didn't take the time to articulate what I was looking for. You spoke to the issue vis a vis the mechanics. Though the use of a diamond hone, as many suggested, certainly will make keeping the two points in contact easier than trying to do so on a oil/water stone.

Thanks all.

Joshua Dinerstein
07-28-2010, 8:41 PM
Though the use of a diamond hone, as many suggested, certainly will make keeping the two points in contact easier than trying to do so on a oil/water stone.

I got mine first diamond hones in a pack of 3 from Harbor Freight for $10. They worked OK but have since broken/lost their grit. No great loss. I then got one for $10 with free shipping off of ebay. dual sided. one side fine and one side medium. This one has worked for me well enough but I am always looking to upgrade. So enter a number of DMT hones in various grits. I like them but lately I have been eye'ing a Lacer rounded edge wedge hone. Why? Probably just because I don't own one yet. It seems I have more desire for tools than is healthy.

I would at least go for at least a DMT one. It has cut better longer than the ones I had before. I was reading with interest comments about scrubbing them off to get rid of embedded grit. I think I ought to try that with some of my existing hones.

Good luck. It really isn't as daunting a task as it seems when you first pick up a hone and a skew and think "How on earth!!??!!" Last few bits of advice: if you have to focus on a contact point as you keep things moving focus on the bottom of the bevel to keep from rounding it, also don't press very hard doing so isn't needed. Just a light pressure is enough cut the tiny amount needed to hone.

Let us know how it goes.

Joshua