PDA

View Full Version : The best way to fix a mistake.........

Robert McGowen
07-27-2010, 6:09 PM
I finally figured out the best way to fix a mistake....... :cool:

Mesquite, 10" x 4", did not sand and no finish. Worm holes were left "as is" for effect.

Mesquite, 6" x 3 ", would be too much involved to repair bowl, as I was spending all of my time repairing the hole in the wall that it caused by committing bowl suicide and jumping off of the lathe. Left natural for better flame appearance.

Mesquite pen blanks, bottle stoppers, and small boxes; all natural edged with a rustic look.

Critiques welcome, but not necessary...... Dinner is at 6pm. Thanks!

bob svoboda
07-27-2010, 6:12 PM
Didn't think you need auxiliary heat in TX in July :D

Mark Hubl
07-27-2010, 6:19 PM
Sometimes you gotta know when to say when. What ya bbq'in? Big old beef ribs, a brisket maybe?

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-27-2010, 6:27 PM
There is no flame as warm as the fire of your mistakes.
fmr

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2010, 6:32 PM
Well - there's something you don't see every day on this forum! :eek:

Hope dinner went well! :D

Harlan Coverdale
07-27-2010, 6:35 PM
This is taking pyrography a bit too far, if you ask me. :p

John Keeton
07-27-2010, 7:07 PM
Robert, I just want you to know how offended I am!!!!:mad: You post a pic, with an open invite to dinner - posting time 6:09pm......Dinner 6:00pm!!!!:mad:

It seems obvious to the casual observer you intended to eat without us, and in fact probably had already eaten and picking your teeth while you posted!!

You could have at least given us a day or so to get there!!:mad::D:D:D:D

Allen Neighbors
07-27-2010, 7:34 PM
Way to cool, Robert!!... well, not literally, anyway..... :D

Karl Card
07-27-2010, 7:48 PM
"got beef"

Joseph M Lary
07-27-2010, 7:49 PM
Robert, I have used that method of fixing bowls , it works better for me in the fall & winter though.:D

Michael James
07-27-2010, 7:59 PM
As a guy that that can bbq/smoke about 300 days a yr., I will voice my opinion that mesquite is an excellent cooking wood, but way over hyped as a smoking wood. Give me hickory or any of the fruitwoods any day!
Can you post directions? I saw Keeton's post and Im just going to assume that it's 6:00 2x everyday, and dinner will be on when we show up!:cool:
What do you want us to bring?
mj

Pete Jordan
07-27-2010, 8:28 PM
Looks like the final phase of performance art.

Mark Hix
07-27-2010, 8:29 PM
I'm running late! What part of Texas are you in again?

David E Keller
07-27-2010, 8:34 PM
I can drop a few more of those in the mail to you if you are running low on bowls that need to be burned.

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2010, 8:38 PM
http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Nathan Hawkes
07-27-2010, 9:30 PM
I love this thread. I think too many turners try and fix things that just aren't worth fixing. Myself included. If I'm trying to turn something that flies off or develops a crack, or the wood is just not as nice grained as it looked, I put it aside. Life's too short to turn crappy wood!

Edit: BTW, I set up a bin last year behind the shop by placing a couple of pallets on the ground, and 6 steel fenceposts, which ended up 4x8x4 feet (1 cord) made with hardware store galvanized fencing. Best thing I ever did for my firewood supply!

Roger Chandler
07-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Nate,

"life is too short to turn crappy wood"

I need to learn this lesson, really bad! I have a number of rejects on my wood pile that I just kept trying to salvage, but they are just laying on the wood pile as a testament to my stubbornness! :(

Gary Herrmann
07-30-2010, 7:37 AM
Waay to hot here for that method right now...

Art Kelly
07-30-2010, 4:55 PM
...you should have used that nice wood fire to anneal something.:D

Robert McGowen
07-30-2010, 7:06 PM
I feel like I owe some people an answer...... :D

Bob, It is cooler to cook outside than inside, plus the house gets really smokey with the grill going inside........

Mark, It was just chicken wings.......

Faust, I did not start drinking until later, so I did not figure out your reply until then......:eek:

Harlan, I see what you mean.......

John, The world is big and has lots of time zones......:rolleyes:

Art, Some of my grilling could be called "annealing".......

I have been turning acrylic pens all week and have a few shattered blanks. Do you think that they would impart any taste when grilling????? :)

John Keeton
07-30-2010, 7:31 PM
Robert, you sure know how to throw a party!!! Give me a little more notice on the next one!:D:D

Steve Mawson
07-30-2010, 8:01 PM
I have been turning acrylic pens all week and have a few shattered blanks. Do you think that they would impart any taste when grilling?????

My guess it would taste like plastic. Hot enough fire might just go up like a styrofoam cup. Wings look good and I just had supper.:mad: