PDA

View Full Version : Convert Xenetech to G-code?

Gerald Wubs
07-27-2010, 3:32 PM
Hello Everyone,
First post, so I'll start off by saying that this is a great forum. I did not realize that engraving was such a big industry.
I have "inherited" a Xenetech 13x13 model table, with all the trimmings. This machine is in perfect operating condition, running on an old PII box with the long 16 bit ISA card. Thing is, I don't wish to use it for engraving, but rather to run in a CNC type of setup. Has any one got a schematic of the APU card and the MPU? (XT-100). The step motor drives in the MPU are made by IMS, now Schneider. They are very similar to their IM805 drive, but with different pins.
I want to eliminate the APU board, and connect via printer port using TurboCNC. If I can manage this, I'll have an APU card for sale for anyone needing one.;) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gerald Wubs

Larry Bratton
07-27-2010, 4:28 PM
Gerald,
May be someone here with the info your looking for, but this forum is more oriented to laser engraving than rotary. You might post this same post over in the CNC forum and get some better replies on the info your looking for.
By the way, welcome to the forum. This is a great place and great community.

Gerald Wubs
07-27-2010, 5:36 PM
Thanks Larry - figured it was an engraving question because I have a specific engraver to start from. I'll post in CNC forum too.

Ross Moshinsky
07-27-2010, 8:53 PM
Speaking from some level of experience, these are not CNC wood routers. My New Hermes IS6000 has a .1HP spindle. Yes, .1HP and is considered a fairly heavy duty CNC rotary engraver. To put that in perspective, the average home built CNC uses at least a 2HP router which is roughly 1.5kw. These machines simply lack the parts necessary to really cut material in a meaningful way. If you're okay with 10 passes to cut through .75" hardwood and 7-8 passes to get though Corian, then this machine will suit your needs. You should contact Xenetec and see what your options are. They are a good company and should be able to help you with your questions. Even so, there are work arounds from using G code. Using straight bits and simply offsetting paths in whatever design program you are using should work fairly well as long as exact precision is not necessary.

Otherwise, I suggest looking into a DIY desktop CNC. It's against the site's rules to promote other boards, but there is a big one out there that would suit your interests better. Google: DIY CNC and it should come up.

Larry Bratton
07-27-2010, 9:08 PM
I am in agreement with you Ross. I once had a 16x24 Vision rotary machine. Great at engraving, but cutting...no way. I tried some light metals with the proper cutters and it was still a failure..like you said.."not in a meaningful way".

Gerald Wubs
07-27-2010, 9:11 PM
Hi Ross,
Don't recall saying that I wanted to hog wood with this, but rather that I wanted to run G-code;). As a machinist, I prefer G-code, if for no other reason than it is more suited for making some small parts in plastic and aluminum. I am looking for something that will hepl me switch from the Xenetech software, which is primarily for centerline toolpath engraving AFAIK. If I can get a schematic for the APU & MPU, it will make it much easier. Otherwise, i'll have to trace wires...:rolleyes:
Thanks for your reply
Gerald

Roy Brewer
08-01-2010, 8:45 PM
If I can get a schematic for the APU & MPU, it will make it much easier. Otherwise, i'll have to trace wires...:rolleyes:Gerald,

To save you a bit to time, start tracing the wires; those schematics are not available. I'm not aware of any small format mechanical engraver manufacturer that will provide that for which you're looking.

Gerald Wubs
08-02-2010, 7:05 PM
Hi Roy,
Fortunately, my brother is a whiz at this stuff.:D We've got 90% of the hardware figured out. I'll keep you posted.
Gerald

Gerald Wubs
08-16-2010, 1:12 PM
Well, it's up and running Mach3! Fitting up the spindle with a collet now. I'm very impressed with the machine, I can jog in .0003" steps, so I'm thinking ±.002" overall tolerances on parts should be possible. Thanks to brother Len for all his hard work!

Robert Walters
08-16-2010, 2:44 PM
Well, it's up and running Mach3!

Hi Gerald,

Well, I suspect that you bypassed the ISA card, so what did you do?

Was the pinout from the machine to the ISA card easy to bypass/interface?
Did you use a different stepper motor driver board?
Did you sacrifice an expensive face mill to the CNC Gawds?

Gerald Wubs
08-17-2010, 3:16 PM
Hi Robert,
We did bypass the ISA board, instead we are using the printer port LPT1. The trace/analyze/design phase took about 60 man hours, mostly by my bro Len, who does electronics for a living AND a hobby. We are using the stock Xenetech motor drives in the X100 MPU. After figuring out the pins, it was just a matter of making a DB37->DB25 patch cable. Setting up Mach3 "Ports and Pins" was a snap. Getting the steppers running required some set up of the pendent control (also used unmodified & with limited functionality)to get the drives enabled.
I am very excited by the ability to run G-code on what previously could only run line art under the original software. I know this machine is not heavy duty, but I fully expect it to be very precise.
No, I did not have to sacrifice any facemills, digital mics, or surface plates, just time.
I'll keep you posted
Gerald

Levi Chanowitz
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
do you have the extra xenetech card?
I would be interested in buying it

Gerald Wubs
02-22-2011, 1:27 AM
The ISA Xenetech card is listed in the Sawmill Creek Classifieds Forum. Not sure what it's worth.