PDA

View Full Version : Using a jointer plane

paul cottingham
07-27-2010, 2:01 PM
So what makes a jointer plane so uniquely suited to flattening boards? Is it MUCH better than a jack would be? I am trying to justify buying one to myself and to my wife.

Thanks again.

Prashun Patel
07-27-2010, 2:26 PM
On larger boards it provides a longer reference than a jack. It's size also helps it do the job faster than a jack.

That being said, a jack CAN joint. The jointer just makes it easier.

Frank Drew
07-27-2010, 4:08 PM
Paul,

You asked about flattening boards; if you imagine the surface of a board with lots of gradual hills and valleys (high and low spots), you can see how a very short plane might just ride the wood up and down without really flattening anything. That's an extreme example, but it illustrates how a plane with a longer sole would "ride" on the high spots, planing them down until the wood is more or less flat. In the real world, a jack would work almost as well (almost as easily) as a jointer as long as you pay attention and take periodic readings with your eyes, a straight edge and winding sticks.

paul cottingham
07-27-2010, 4:41 PM
Yeah, that is how I understood it as well. But I admit I have some trouble flattening with my LV BUJ, and wonder if a jointer might help.

Thanks again,

David Weaver
07-27-2010, 4:52 PM
How big of a board are you having trouble flattening with a BUJ?

How is it out of flat when you're done, does it fall off toward the edges, is there some part of it that's high or some part that's low?

A BUJ is big enough to flatten a board, a jointer would make the job a little easier, but the BUJ is as big as some infill panel planes.

Frank Drew
07-27-2010, 4:52 PM
What kind of trouble are you having with the Lee Valley plane?

paul cottingham
07-27-2010, 5:32 PM
no real problems, in fact it is my favorite plane. I am just looking for a more efficient method of jointing boards.

harry strasil
07-27-2010, 5:46 PM
make urself a jointing shoot board, I have one 6 ft long. Its shown using a miller falls skew angle block plane for jointing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/jointer1.jpg

Frank Drew
07-27-2010, 6:09 PM
I am just looking for a more efficient method of jointing boards.

Jointing the edges of boards, or flattening their faces? For the former, a longer plane is clearly a plus, IMO, Harry's method notwithstanding.

Doug Shepard
07-27-2010, 6:09 PM
no real problems, in fact it is my favorite plane. I am just looking for a more efficient method of jointing boards.

One thing I've done to speed things up a bit is to make periodic passes with the jointer (LV BUJ) to see where it's removing high spots, then pick up a scrub plane to work those spots. I can get thicker shavings with the scrub and remove wood quicker. Keep going back to the jointer to check your progress so you dont make local shallow areas with the scrub and abandon the scrub when you get reasonably close. I'll probably have to do less of that now that I picked up a 12" jointer/planer combo.