PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G0636X! Which Accessories?

Jim Kirkpatrick
07-27-2010, 1:24 PM
I just pulled th trigger on a new 17" bandsaw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0636X). I wanted to take advantage of the Grizzly Summer Sale and Microsoft cashback which ends 7/31. Arrives tomorrow. Question is: What accessories should I get?

It makes sense to get a mobile base for it. After all, it weighs 700 lbs. But will the base make it rack back and forth?

What blades should I get? Grizzly sells Timberwolf blades which I have no experience with but hear good things about them on this forum. I want to use primarily for a resawing machine so what width is best? (Range is 1/8"-1 3/8", length is 162")
Also, I was thinking of getting a general purpose blade for scrolling and what not. Should I get a 3/8" blade too or would I be better off keeping my 14" Delta and dedicating it to that purpose?

Bill LaPointe
07-27-2010, 1:34 PM
Bought Timberwolf from Suffolk Machinery for my 20" saw. They suggested the 1" 3tpi for resaw and the 3/8" 6tpi for general useage. Buy 3 total blades and get 1 free. You have ta ask for the free one. My blades cut great!

John Stan
07-27-2010, 2:11 PM
Hi - I used the great lake castors and bought a variety of blades ranging from a 1 inch Lenox trimetal down to a 1/8 inch timberwolf.

-John

Bret Leishman
07-30-2010, 2:04 AM
GreatLakes casters bolt right into holes used to bolt saw to shipping pallet.These casters have a large rubber foot that comes down to stabilize the saw and locks it in place even on uneven cement surface. Would be leery of any mobile base that raises this very heavy saw for stability reasons. I bought the extension table that comes with the G0636XB, very happy with it and highly recommend it. This large work surface makes large heavy pieces safer to cut and wide boards much easier to handle. I much prefer the bandsaw to using my table saw, whenever possible. I attached the telescoping support arm for the table extension to the base of the saw rather than extending it straight to the floor. Lenox trimaster 1" works great for resawing. Bought Laguna Kerf King 1 1/8" with 1 tpi for wet wood turning blanks and am very happy with it. I bought Timberwolf 3/8" and 1/2" blades from Grizzly but havent used, would keep your old saw for use with the smaller blades. I use my old Shopsmith bandsaw for the now rare occasion I need a smaller blade. You will enjoy using this very nice piece of machinery.

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 4:00 AM
First, get a first class resaw blade for that saw. A 1 1/4" carbide tipped blade variable pitch. A 2/3 or 3/4 TPI Lenox TriMaster or a Laguna Resaw King. As for contour cutting I would just keep the 14" saw.

Second, I would consider replacing the fence with a Laguna Drift Master.

Third, I would look at replacing the guides with Laguna Ceramics.

None of the above are cheap but each is class leading and will together with your saw make one heck of a resaw monster. These are the same recommendations I would make for any serious bandsaw including all the Italians.

Most really like going the caster route for mobility but large/heavy bandsaws are one of the two machines I like to find a place for it and park, the other being a DP, I don't like moving large top heavy equipment on any regular basis.

Shiraz Balolia
07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Jim - other than buying a couple of good resaw blades, and maybe the extension table if you are doing large pieces, I would not replace the fence or the guides.

Use the saw for a while. A good blade makes all the difference, and the fence system on that machine is just fine. Personally, I do not like ceramic guides even though we have had them for a few years for our bigger saws. We are discontinuing them.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Ceramic-Guide-Set-for-21-24-Bandsaws/H7874

Jim Kirkpatrick
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I plan on keeping the fence and the guides or at least see how they work for now. I've heard good things about both.
I went to the Greatlakes website and there's a myriad of choices. Can someone point out the exact model # you have?
Thanks guys.

Bret Leishman
07-30-2010, 5:16 PM
Jim,
That would be the LV-1710-NYP-S-M12, 1.75" stabalizing casters.
Greatlakescaster.com

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 8:42 PM
Personally, I do not like ceramic guides even though we have had them for a few years for our bigger saws. We are discontinuing them.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Ceramic-Guide-Set-for-21-24-Bandsaws/H7874

To be fair though the ceramic guides Grizzly has/had are not remotely like the Laguna guides, completely different animal and are a much closer cousin to standard "Euro guides". There is certainly nothing wrong with Euro style or NA bearing guides but most people that use the Laguna guides never want to go back to any other type, same with the DM fence. My suggestions aren't cheap but they make a solid saw like the 636 about as good as it gets for a "narrow" blade vertical resaw BS. I did hold my tongue and did not recommend a power feeder... :D To the OP, if you do indeed end up doing a lot of resawing take a look at the Grizzly H0796. You add that to your fine saw and the things I suggested above and you will wake up in the middle of the night thinking of ways to resaw, it will become a pass time in and of itself!

Keith Outten
07-30-2010, 8:59 PM
Once you get the new band saw running like you want it make a sliding table for it, you will use it more than you can imagine. A band saw slider is basically the same as a table saw slider, normally much smaller but just as usefull maybe more.

I made one for my band saw and I use it for so many jobs it has become invaluable. Won't cost you any money because you can build it from shop scraps but it will make lots of jobs safer and more accurate.

Those of you who haven't made a slider for your band saw get on the stick and get it done, you can thank me later :)
:)

Van Huskey
07-30-2010, 9:04 PM
Once you get the new band saw running like you want it make a sliding table for it, you will use it more than you can imagine. A band saw slider is basically the same as a table saw slider, normally much smaller but just as usefull maybe more.

I made one for my band saw and I use it for so many jobs it has become invaluable. Won't cost you any money because you can build it from shop scraps but it will make lots of jobs safer and more accurate.

Those of you who haven't made a slider for your band saw get on the stick and get it done, you can thank me later :)
:)

Keith, now THAT is a good idea!!!! Actually it is a GREAT idea. But, I do hate you as it is one more thing to put on the "shop" list that keeps me farther away from building stuff for outside of the shop. Actually, I love ya, but if my wife knew you added something to the shop list SHE would hate ya! :)