PDA

View Full Version : Plywood storage shed?

Roger Jensen
07-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I currently keep my sheet goods on a rolling cart inside my small shop. I want to build a small shed to free up the space in my shop. I already built an area on the side of my shop to store long pieces of lumber, but I need something for sheet goods.

I'd love to see pictures or hear about sheds that others have built for this purpose.

Thanks,

Roger

Jeremy Brant
07-27-2010, 8:46 PM
Not much help here, but I'd love to see a picture of two of your sheet goods rolling cart. I need to make something myself and I think that's the route I'm headed. Thanks!

Gary Redden
07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Here is a drawing of something I built several years ago. I still use it today even though I have really outgrown it. The drawing is in Visio. On the side where I store plywood, I have sliding doors like you would have on a barn. They allow the doors to pass each other so you access the entire side. There are double doors on the ends that allow access to the other lumber.

I know the building is short but where I lived at the time, it fit the bill. I also built it on skids and I moved it to where I live now.

Gary

Roger Jensen
07-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks Gary. What are the last two drawings on page 4 of your diagram? Are they shelves or supports of some kind?

Roger

Gary Redden
07-28-2010, 9:17 AM
The last page are the doors, the top ones are the large sliding and the bottom 2 are the doors on the ends.

Gary

Jim Beachler
07-28-2010, 2:16 PM
I store my sheet goods in a shed outside. I made the shed by buying a pallet rack that is 9 ft long by 4 ft deep by 10ft tall. Extended out the back side to a little and put a 2 x 4 frame on it. Then covered the whole thing with sheet metal siding. Put the same on the roof. On one of the long sides, I built 4 doors and put one pair above the other like dutch doors. this way the doors were not HUGE. Has worked good for me for over 2 years without any problems.

PS. since the foot print is less than 100 sq ft, I didn't need a permit.

Roger Jensen
07-28-2010, 6:39 PM
Not much help here, but I'd love to see a picture of two of your sheet goods rolling cart. I need to make something myself and I think that's the route I'm headed. Thanks!

Hi Jeremy,

I used a plan from Fine Woodworking. If you have a subscription to their library you can download the plans. I don't think I'm violating their copyright by posting a picture from their website: