PDA

View Full Version : Making square bench dog holes techniques: router vs. dado blade vs. ?

Boris Sudel
07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi all,

I want to ask your advise on making square bench dog holes tilted 2 degrees. Would you use a router vs. dado blade vs. ? What kind of jig would you use/built to make it more accurate?

Thanks,
Boris

Thomas Hotchkin
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Boris
I used my table saw with a crosscut sled and a dado blade. Like cutting box finger joints. That's the easy part, I had more problems with glue up with boards slipping until I put one nail each board. Tom

Floyd Mah
07-27-2010, 3:06 PM
If you are in the process of building a workbench, here's an alternative approach. Instead of routing the benchdog holes out of the workbench top and then gluing up another piece to complete the hole (using two pieces of wood), I created the benchdog holes as a sandwich. Two straight sides sandwiching the intermediate angled pieces. The angled pieces I made up using a bandsaw. I was also able to cut the notch to keep the benchdog from falling thru at the same time. After cutting the pieces, I used a blank the same size as the benchdog, plus a slight clearance, to space the angle pieces and then glued and tacked with a nailgun all of the pieces to one side and then glued on the second side and finished with clamps. I used a contrasting wood for the sides. I hate router dust and tearout. You can avoid most of that using a bandsaw to do most of the cuts.

Boris Sudel
07-27-2010, 3:13 PM
Thanks, do you have pictures to share?