PDA

View Full Version : Where I was Heading

Gary Max
07-27-2010, 9:53 AM
Here's where my latest project was heading. I did these early this morning. Next goal is to make some pens that match the Keychains.
The wood is from Jack Daniels whiskey barrels----AKA white Oak

David Hullum
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
How was the logo done? I Like Em' !

Gary Max
07-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Had a couple PM's about Trademarks-------I buy the the wood with Certs from a guy who has permission from Jack Daniels to resale the blanks.
David---it's just a decal that I made----of course it took me a month to figure out.

Harlan Coverdale
07-27-2010, 5:19 PM
Had a couple PM's about Trademarks-------I buy the the wood with Certs from a guy who has permission from Jack Daniels to resale the blanks.
David---it's just a decal that I made----of course it took me a month to figure out.

They look nice Gary. Does the permission to resell the blanks also mean permission to use the logo? Those are two separate issues.

Gary Max
07-27-2010, 5:37 PM
The blanks I buy come with a Cert that has the logo on it--------I am not selling the logo but a finished product that the materials where bought legal. I would not sell you or anyone the parts to make these.

Harlan Coverdale
07-27-2010, 6:31 PM
The blanks I buy come with a Cert that has the logo on it--------I am not selling the logo but a finished product that the materials where bought legal. I would not sell you or anyone the parts to make these.

You are selling a finished product with a trademarked logo on it, so yes, you are selling the logo. The fact that your wood certification paperwork has a logo on it has nothing to do with you selling a finished product with a logo on it. All it means is that your supplier can tell his customers that it's official Jack Daniels wood. I'm not saying the wood is illegal, but selling a products bearing the logo without express written permission to use that logo on that specific product sure might be. I'm not discounting your nice work, but I just don't want you to get in legal trouble for selling them. ;)

I know a bit about this subject. I've got a good friend who works for Disney in the product licensing enforcement area and I've seen them go after craftspeople very similar situations. I suspect Jack Daniels, which also has a substantial 'product merchandising' presence, would have similar attitudes.

Allen Neighbors
07-27-2010, 7:25 PM
Why can't I see the items you guys are talking about?
I feel like Schultz, from Hogan's Heroes.... :(

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2010, 8:02 PM
Allen I agree. "I see nothing."

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2010, 8:51 PM
"I feel like Schultz..."I see nothing."

It's a trick...It's all done with mirrors. Actually it looks like all that legal mumbo jumbo freaked Gary out and he took the photo off. Probably not a bad idea...

Gary Max
07-27-2010, 9:50 PM
Couldn't of said it better myself David

Harlan Coverdale
07-28-2010, 5:19 PM
Sorry if the legal stuff upset you. I'm just trying to save you some potential trouble. I still think you did a fine job on them. ;)

Allen Neighbors
07-28-2010, 8:16 PM
How can a guy who builds such nice trucks be so chicken? :D :D :D
(Don't blame you, Gary, I've always heard that caution was a better part of valor.)