PDA

View Full Version : The Heat Wave Continues

Belinda Barfield
07-27-2010, 7:46 AM
Well the heat index reached 124 on Sunday so today at 113 should feel just great. The water temp at the beach yesterday was 89.:eek::eek: So refreshing. :rolleyes: Anyone out there have any cool weather to share?

Joe Pelonio
07-27-2010, 7:57 AM
We have been pushing up to near 90, but at night it drops to the 50s. Currently 57 at 5am.

Belinda Barfield
07-27-2010, 8:06 AM
Joe, how about bottling up some of that 50ish air and shipping it this way. I could use a cool breeze. We're working 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. right now to try to avoid the worst of the heat. Well, I say "we", I'm working 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. but mostly in the office in the afternoons. Currently 82 and feels like 87 at 8 a.m.

Tom Winship
07-27-2010, 8:36 AM
Belinda, you have to quit looking at the heat index (at least this is what I tell my wife). This is a psychological thing to make you feel worse. I just look at the temperature and tell myself I'm sure glad I still don't live in the house I grew up in with no a/c.

Belinda Barfield
07-27-2010, 8:40 AM
Belinda, you have to quit looking at the heat index (at least this is what I tell my wife). This is a psychological thing to make you feel worse. I just look at the temperature and tell myself I'm sure glad I still don't live in the house I grew up in with no a/c.

I wouldn't be paying attention to the heat index (my index is hotter than blue blazes) but the boss keeps pointing it out to me!

We didn't have AC when I was growing up, unless the preacher was coming for Sunday dinner and then we ran the one window unit. How did we stand it back then? I grew up in south Georgia but it sure didn't seem this hot in the "good ol' days".

Charlie Reals
07-27-2010, 9:01 AM
We have been pushing up to near 90, but at night it drops to the 50s. Currently 57 at 5am.
Same here, it is 58 at 5:59 a m and will get to 85 or so. Dang, iffin I don't turn on a fan it will get to a sweltering 80 in my shop.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2010, 9:16 AM
We were supposed to hit 102º F yesterday but we only had 25% humidity to go with it.

David G Baker
07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
The temp has been in the high 80's here in Mid Michigan but the humidity has been low the last few days but it is creeping up today according to the weatherman. Haven't had to run the AC for the past few days but the ceiling fans have been running on high.

Dave Wagner
07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
We have been in the 80-90s here in Western NY too! most of us don't have cengtral A/C. Since we may have a week or two with these temps. But does get cool in the nighttime enough to cool the house down.

We just 3 tornadoes come thru near us, within a few miles. Weird weather.!!

Chris Kennedy
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
It was over 90 degrees before 10AM this past weekend. We hit 108 and I don't want to know the heat index. Around here, if it is dry and hot, we bake. If it is humid and hot, it is more of a poaching effect.

Thankfully we have a couple of cooler days, only hitting high 80's to mid 90's. It isn't cooling off at night, which is part of the problem.

Cheers,

Chris

Belinda Barfield
07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
It isn't cooling off at night, which is part of the problem.

Cheers,

Chris

Same for us Chris. Low last night was 77.

Jim Rimmer
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
We didn't have AC when I was growing up, unless the preacher was coming for Sunday dinner and then we ran the one window unit. How did we stand it back then? I grew up in south Georgia but it sure didn't seem this hot in the "good ol' days".
The houses we grew up in were built different. Windows postioned to capture what breeze there was; in the South they had long eaves to shade the house, attic fans to suck air in the windows. And we were "used to" the heat. :confused:

Houston has been getting a lot of rain so last night it was finally cool enough to work in my shop for a couple of hours. I have an uninsulated garage shop; during the Houston summers it's probably 120+ in there. Even box fans don't help; they just serve as blast furnaces. I keep telling myself that it's just the opposite of northern winters when it's too cold to go out.

Charlie Reals
07-27-2010, 10:40 AM
We have been in the 80-90s here in Western NY too! most of us don't have cengtral A/C. Since we may have a week or two with these temps. But does get cool in the nighttime enough to cool the house down.

We just 3 tornadoes come thru near us, within a few miles. Weird weather.!!

Right on Dave. I do not like a/c in a house or car. I have lived many places where folks thought they needed it. You bet, it is miserable for a week or two but have we become so..... Uhhh don't go there :D:D
Charlie

Curt Harms
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Did you have as much asphalt & paving around when you were growing up? More paving and less trees does make a difference. We live in the "leafy suburbs" and it's always 4-7 degrees less than in the urban areas. There was a day or two when our high temp. in S.E. PA. was higher than Orlando, FL. This was after a winter with record snowfall. The Philly "heat index" was running 105 or so during the hottest periods. OTOH, SWMBO would much prefer February in Savannah to February in the Philly area.

Belinda Barfield
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
The houses we grew up in were built different. Windows postioned to capture what breeze there was; in the South they had long eaves to shade the house, attic fans to suck air in the windows. And we were "used to" the heat. :confused:

You are right about that Jim. Our house had larged screened porches front and back, windows in all four walls. I live in a condo with windows on one wall, no cross ventilation going on there!

Did you have as much asphalt & paving around when you were growing up? More paving and less trees does make a difference. We live in the "leafy suburbs" and it's always 4-7 degrees less than in the urban areas. There was a day or two when our high temp. in S.E. PA. was higher than Orlando, FL. This was after a winter with record snowfall. The Philly "heat index" was running 105 or so during the hottest periods. OTOH, SWMBO would much prefer February in Savannah to February in the Philly area.

Other than the two laned paved road a little less than a quarter of a mile from the house, the next closest asphalt was four miles away. I grew up in the pine flatwoods.

February in Savannah is pretty sweet.

Lee Schierer
07-27-2010, 12:55 PM
We had 60 degrees this morning with low humidity. We went swimming in Lake Eire last night from our boat the water temp was 80 air temp was 78 and there was no salt to wash off. Water clarity is down a bit due to algae, otherwise it was very nice.

Come on up the water and weather are fine.:D

Belinda Barfield
07-27-2010, 1:23 PM

Sounds better than fine, Lee. It sound devine!

Scott Shepherd
07-27-2010, 2:00 PM
I'm with you Belinda, this screen shot was from this past Saturday. Of course, it would be the weekend I had to finish a big job outdoors.....

Really nice day to work outside in the direct sun......

Note the time of the screen capture. 5:09pm.

Chris Kennedy
07-27-2010, 9:04 PM
We had 60 degrees this morning with low humidity. We went swimming in Lake Eire last night from our boat the water temp was 80 air temp was 78 and there was no salt to wash off. Water clarity is down a bit due to algae, otherwise it was very nice.

Sounds better than fine, Lee. It sound devine!

Now, Lee -- let's be honest. I used to live in Edinboro just south of McKean, and I will agree --the summers are nice. The ridiculous amounts of lake effect snow in the winter might be a tad discouraging to those who aren't aware . . . .:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chris

Belinda Barfield
07-28-2010, 6:48 AM
Now, Lee -- let's be honest. I used to live in Edinboro just south of McKean, and I will agree --the summers are nice. The ridiculous amounts of lake effect snow in the winter might be a tad discouraging to those who aren't aware . . . .:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Chris

It's okay Chris, I was just going to visit, not move. My best friend is from Connecticut. Her son went to school in Syracuse. Both assure me that I would not survive my first winter in the snow belt.

I want virtual reality technology so I can sit and watch the snow fall on Christmas Eve, then turn it off and go to the beach.

Curt Harms
07-28-2010, 9:28 AM
It's okay Chris, I was just going to visit, not move. My best friend is from Connecticut. Her son went to school in Syracuse. Both assure me that I would not survive my first winter in the snow belt.

I want virtual reality technology so I can sit and watch the snow fall on Christmas Eve, then turn it off and go to the beach.

If you find that, I want to buy stock in the company. That'd make Microsoft, Apple & Google look like pikers. :cool:

Bryan Morgan
07-28-2010, 3:59 PM
Well the heat index reached 124 on Sunday so today at 113 should feel just great. The water temp at the beach yesterday was 89.:eek::eek: So refreshing. :rolleyes: Anyone out there have any cool weather to share?

Here in So. Cal. it has been quite mild for summertime. 70-80 degrees. Had a few days over 100 but that was literally just a few days. My Russian friends tell me its almost freezing where they are when it should be very hot...

Rob Wachala Jr
07-28-2010, 5:24 PM
I wish we would get some cool weather. I ended up bringing all my liquids and waxes in the house... as I have no air in the shop and it gets extremely hot. So today I'm out doing some turning and come in to grab my EEE, I pick up the container and just feel liquid swashing around. Guess I'm going to have to start keeping it in the fridge.

Rick Potter
07-29-2010, 2:55 AM
Having a mild summer here this year. Today's high was 84, last nite's low was 58. We actually had to use the AC in the house for several days a week or so ago.

Rick Potter