PDA

View Full Version : burl caps

ryan kelley
07-27-2010, 2:15 AM
I have spent the last 3 hours looking for burl caps and I am having no luck. Does anyone know where I can find someting no larger than 12"(midi lathe) around 4" thick and domestic.

John Keeton
07-27-2010, 7:12 AM
Ryan, try Mike Smith at easternncwoodworkers.com. Mike has Big Leaf Maple burls at a very good price. There are also several burl suppliers out there, including Bad Dog Burls (burlsource.com) and others, though it seems most of them have the Aussie burls. Beautiful, but hard as concrete!

There are usually some available on ebay, as well. Hopefully, others will be able to supply more sources for you.

BTW, you can always take a larger burl and cut it in smaller pieces depending on what you want to turn.

Greg Ketell
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Try Nolan at Harris Burl Supply. He has crates and crates of Australian Burls: Red Mallee, Brown Mallee, New Mallee, Taz Eucalyptus, etc. He only shows a few on his web site but I've been to his storage facility, he has tons.

GK

Alec Moseley
07-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Try The Sawmill, Ltd - he's got cherry burls and other domestics and is a good guy to deal with.

David E Keller
07-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I've had good luck with Isaac Rapelje(SMC member) for maple burl and he's got redwood as well plus some Aussie stuff. eBay also has Burl caps available from several sellers.

I'm gonna try Mike Smith at some point and see if my turnings are as good as JK's... It's got to be the wood, right?

Tim Rinehart
07-27-2010, 1:33 PM
I've had good luck with Isaac Rapelje(SMC member) for maple burl and he's got redwood as well plus some Aussie stuff. eBay also has Burl caps available from several sellers.

I'm gonna try Mike Smith at some point and see if my turnings are as good as JK's... It's got to be the wood, right?

I mean, c'mon David...what else could it possibly be...but the wood??:confused:;) No one, not the mortals among us, could do work like that on less than the finest, most excellent wood. I think we all know by now...it's not all the tools one has, or the experience and techniques used...it's the wood!

John Keeton
07-27-2010, 3:59 PM
Let me just say that I agree fully - it is the wood! At least, that is the position I have taken with Ms. Keeton each time another box of wood is delivered to the Keeton home!:rolleyes:;):D:D

Well.....come to think of it, the tools could play an important role, as well. Seems I have used that line a few times, too!:)

Under no circumstances is ability a factor - otherwise, how could one ever justify all the $$$$ I have spent on all these neat tools and wood!

Cathy Schaewe
07-27-2010, 9:59 PM
I wish it was the wood - I've gotten plenty of stuff from Mike, and my turnings don't 'turn' out like Keeton's ....

of course, I don't have Dolly looking over my shoulder (thank heavens) :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I wish it was the wood - I've gotten plenty of stuff from Mike, and my turnings don't 'turn' out like Keeton's ....

of course, I don't have Dolly looking over my shoulder (thank heavens) :D

LOL now Cathy that is funny.

Frank Van Atta
07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
There are some nice Mallee Burl caps available on eBay. The seller is n4631x. I've bought half a dozen from him in the last couple of months. They're reasonably priced; if you buy more than one at a time, so is the shipping (two for one, basically).

ryan kelley
07-28-2010, 1:12 PM
Thanks everyone for info, I found one but will bookmark the others.

Greg Ketell
07-28-2010, 1:31 PM
There are some nice Mallee Burl caps available on eBay. The seller is n4631x. I've bought half a dozen from him in the last couple of months. They're reasonably priced; if you buy more than one at a time, so is the shipping (two for one, basically).

That is Nolan from Harris Burl Supply.

GK

Frank Van Atta
07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Greg. I knew he had a website, but I couldn't find a way there from eBay.

Greg Ketell
07-29-2010, 2:06 AM
Thanks for the info, Greg. I knew he had a website, but I couldn't find a way there from eBay.

Yah, ebay will ban you for life if you have a link on their site pointing to another site that has a shopping cart. No getting around their fees....