PDA

View Full Version : Motor upgrade for Woodcrafter midi lathe

Mark Woodmark
07-26-2010, 2:49 PM
I have a Penn States Industries Turncrafter midi lathe model number TCLPROVS. Does anyone know if there is a motor upgrade I can put on this machine? I want something that is more HP than the 1/2 Hp the comes on this lathe

Michelle Rich
07-26-2010, 3:03 PM
If it were me I'd call PState and ask them...Almost all the mini lathes are 1/2 hsp...plenty powerful for the size of stuff one turns on them

Mark Woodmark
07-26-2010, 3:08 PM
If it were me I'd call PState and ask them...Almost all the mini lathes are 1/2 hsp...plenty powerful for the size of stuff one turns on them

This brings up another question, maybe I am turning too large of pieces on it. It seems to constantly be tripping the motor reset switch. Sometimes I have to let the lathe set for a couple minutes to get the reset button to reset. I have to push it numerous time occasionally to get it to catch

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2010, 3:43 PM
I definitely would call PSI if the reset is tripping. Could be a bad motor and is robbing you of power.

Dennis Ford
07-26-2010, 3:57 PM
It may be that the thermal overload is weakened and is tripping at lower amperage than it is supposed to.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
What are you trying to turn? When I turn larger stuff (Jet Mini, similar to yours) I try not to bog down the motor. The 1/2 horse motor is really not up to making anything bigger than 5" or so, IMO. That being said, if you're turning "big" stuff all the time, you may be better off upgrading to the Delta Midi. You gain 2.5" of capacity. 1 horse motor.
My mini is pretty much maxed out for motor size. If I got a bigger motor, I would probably be unable to move the banjo all the way up to the headstock.

Michael James
07-27-2010, 12:24 AM
The only upgrade I see at PSI is the 1/2 hp VS. But as suggested, you should probably give them a call. Perhaps they'd sell you one of their 1hp off the 12" model. Times are tough; money talks!
Just a thought...
mj

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2010, 2:19 AM
Try a small muffin fan or similar, and have it blow on the motor, the motor cutout is probably a temp sensitive Bi-metal switch.

Also check that you haven't got the bearings to tight on the spindle, the handwheel is usually the one that adjusts that, try to back it of a 1/4 turn or so and feel if the spindle is still not loose, it shouldn't be too tight as that robs power HTH