PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Cherry Bowl

Baxter Smith
07-26-2010, 2:37 PM
Picked out a piece of dry cherry from under my uncles lathe a couple of weeks ago. It had checked on the ends so cut a piece out of the middle in t hopes that I might get one solid block. After shaping the bottom, I was able to part off enough of the top to make a lid. The original plan was to do a lidded piece with a pedestal and finial. The tip of the finial had other plans and turned into more of a knob, so a more practical dish it was meant to be. The bottom has a slight recess so addind a pedestal would be easy and the knob will pull out, but after messing with the finish for what seems like a week, I have had enough of it. I am on the fence about liking the finish. Seems like it has lost its warm feel. The inisde of the bowl and lid is BLO and shellac. The aborted finial is a piece of sugar maple that my uncle cut for me about 15 years ago. As always, comments and critiques are welcome.
Maine Cherry and Sugar Maple
Finished with BLO, shellac and lacquer
7.5 x 5 x 3/16 except for where the two pieces meet.

Dennis Ford
07-26-2010, 2:41 PM
That is very nice. It seems like you claimed to be a beginner not too long ago, you are way past that now.

charlie knighton
07-26-2010, 3:01 PM
pretty work, Baxter

Michelle Rich
07-26-2010, 3:12 PM
good golly..glad you sent pictures..I'd have thought it was a total loss with your description....it's a super little lidded vessel...

Leo Van Der Loo
07-26-2010, 3:18 PM
[QUOTE=Baxter Smith;1476223][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Picked out a piece of dry cherry from under my uncles lathe a couple of weeks ago. It had checked on the ends so cut a piece out of the middle in t hopes that I might get one solid block. After shaping the bottom, I was able to part off enough of the top to make a lid. The original plan was to do a lidded piece with a pedestal and finial. The tip of the finial had other plans and turned into more of a knob, so a more practical dish it was meant to be. The bottom has a slight recess so addind a pedestal would be easy and the knob will pull out, but after messing with the finish for what seems like a week, I have had enough of it. I am on the fence about liking the finish. Seems like it has lost its warm feel. The inisde of the bowl and lid is BLO and shellac. The aborted finial is a piece of sugar maple that my uncle cut for me about 15 years ago. As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Beautiful piece Baxter, (even though I'd liked to see the lid flush with the bowl) the tip on the lid looks nice and not to dainty, beautiful shape to the whole piece, very nicely finished, (looks like wood), I'd say that's a keeper, thanks for showing Baxter :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2010, 3:41 PM
Really a pretty piece. I agree with Leo that I would have made the lid flush. Really well done Baxter.

Tom Sherman
07-26-2010, 3:57 PM
I kinda like the lid sitting up gives one the impression there might be a prize waiting inside. Finial works for me to don't think this one needs one any bigger.

Tim Rinehart
07-26-2010, 3:58 PM
Baxter,
I like this piece. It looks great just as you have done, and I especially like the little detail on underside of lid. I'm assuming that was to help hide how you secured it while turning the lid...or perhaps it was in the design...nice either way.

I'm not so sure a 'flush' lid would have worked out for top/bottom made of same wood, without the grain being spot on between top and bottom...something difficult for anything that can't be easily parted between top and bottoms. Small boxes...not a problem.

I think you made a good choice not going flush with same wood. Now, contrasting wood, if used for lid, would look nice flush with top.

Great job!!

Roland Martin
07-26-2010, 4:31 PM
Baxter,
I like this piece. It looks great just as you have done, and I especially like the little detail on underside of lid. I'm assuming that was to help hide how you secured it while turning the lid...or perhaps it was in the design...nice either way.

I'm not so sure a 'flush' lid would have worked out for top/bottom made of same wood, without the grain being spot on between top and bottom...something difficult for anything that can't be easily parted between top and bottoms. Small boxes...not a problem.

I think you made a good choice not going flush with same wood. Now, contrasting wood, if used for lid, would look nice flush with top.

Great job!!

I agree with Tim, I think the lid works very well the way it is, gives it some added dimension. The shape, to me, is spot on and I really like the finial, even though it wasn't your first choice. I'm not sure what issue you have with the finish but it looks awesome from here. Thanks for posting this beautiful piece! Watch out Mr. Keeton:D

John Keeton
07-26-2010, 5:14 PM
Baxter, this piece has a real pleasing form to it, and the cherry still looks very nice. The inside does look a bit warmer - not sure whether that is just lighting?

I like the knob/finial. Since it is a functional piece, it all works very well!

You do good work, and this is just one more example.

Josh Bowman
07-26-2010, 5:51 PM
Nice job, I like the color of the wood. The last picture will be good to show non turners, it will amaze them.

David E Keller
07-26-2010, 6:14 PM
I like it. It looks plenty warm to me in the photos, and of course, you can count on cherry to get better and better with time.

I like the over fitting lid, but I think it could work the other way also. Nicely done.

bob svoboda
07-26-2010, 6:24 PM
Baxter, I really like that form and nothing wrong with the wood or finish. Thanks for sharing...I may need to copy!

Roger Chandler
07-26-2010, 7:15 PM
Baxter,

That is a really, I mean REALLY nice lidded vessel. Cherry wood make such nice projects, and is one of my favorites to turn.

You did a really nice job, and I like the form, the finish, the underside of the lid, and well as I said....it is REALLY Nice!!!

Michael James
07-26-2010, 7:39 PM
I like the lid, and I think I would also like it flush. The finish looks impeccable to me. Not much of a finial guy, but the shape is ok too!'
Thanks for posting your work!
mj

gary Zimmel
07-26-2010, 7:50 PM
Real nice work on this one Baxter..

Harvey Ghesser
07-26-2010, 8:17 PM
Beautiful work, Baxter! One more vote for the way you shaped the lid. I really like it!

Mark Hix
07-26-2010, 8:25 PM
put me down as +1 on the like column.

When I look at a lidded bowl, I like the lid to invite me to look inside. Yours does.

You can always send it to me:D.

Curt Fuller
07-26-2010, 8:27 PM
Baxter, that is really a pretty bowl! I like everything about it.

Baxter Smith
07-27-2010, 8:53 AM
That is very nice. It seems like you claimed to be a beginner not too long ago, you are way past that now.
Thanks Dennis. Only a little way past!:) Kind of seems like a long time ago that I asked a question on this forum about how to finish a roughed out bowl. Someone else had roughed it out and I just wanted to give it as a Christmas gift. Kind of like the potato chip commercial. "Bet you can't turn just one!" Or something like that!:D Guess I've swallowed the bait, hook line and sinker.

[QUOTE=Baxter Smith;1476223][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]
Beautiful piece Baxter, (even though I'd liked to see the lid flush with the bowl) the tip on the lid looks nice and not to dainty, beautiful shape to the whole piece, very nicely finished, (looks like wood), I'd say that's a keeper, thanks for showing Baxter :D
Thanks for your thoughts Leo. They have always been helpful in getting me to think! I have done very little turning with dry wood and fitting things together. The top of the bowl got formed and flattened before I gave much thought to the lid other than I knew had just enough wood to make one. I was then focused on trying to keep the slope of the bowl edge and lid the same.

Baxter,

Great job!!
Thanks Tim. That little detail on the inside covers the 5/16 hole I drilled using the tailstock for the finial tenon while I had the lid mounted in the chuck. My first thought after seeing that hole on the inside of the lid was, "that was an incredibly dumb thing to do in such a pretty piece of wood", (those may not have been the exact thoughts) but I kind of like it now.:)

I agree with Tim, I think the lid works very well the way it is, gives it some added dimension. The shape, to me, is spot on and I really like the finial, even though it wasn't your first choice. I'm not sure what issue you have with the finish but it looks awesome from here. Thanks for posting this beautiful piece! Watch out Mr. Keeton:D
The finish is ok Roland but I have tended to use an in the wood finish for most of the things I do. Thought I would do something special and try lacquer for my first cherry bowl and lid. Loved the warm look of the wood while turning and the BLO only made it better, but adding the layers of lacquer seemed to bury that to some degree!

Baxter, this piece has a real pleasing form to it, and the cherry still looks very nice. The inside does look a bit warmer - not sure whether that is just lighting?

I like the knob/finial. Since it is a functional piece, it all works very well!

You do good work, and this is just one more example.
Thanks John, I have very little experience with using BLO, shellac and lacquer but think on the cherry I liked the tone of the BLO and shellac best.

Baxter,

That is a really, I mean REALLY nice lidded vessel. Cherry wood make such nice projects, and is one of my favorites to turn.

You did a really nice job, and I like the form, the finish, the underside of the lid, and well as I said....it is REALLY Nice!!!
Thanks Roger. This was my first piece of cherry to turn that wasn't a burl, and I was thinking, "I can see why people love this!":)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It is very helpful and appreciated!

Mark Hubl
07-27-2010, 9:44 AM
Nice piece Baxter.

I like it. I love the look of cherry, although I have never turned it. You could always use some steel wool to dull down the lacquer a bit. If it is too dull buff with a horse hair brush (shoe brush) to give it a satiny sheen. There is a fellow that makes a lot of cherry furniture at a shop I visit in Michigan and his stuff is all either oiled of satin poly. It has that warm cherry look.

The top looks fine sitting proud, I think it gives it a functional look. Definetly a leave the room and get a cup of coffee moment when a finial presents a design opportunity!

Good job.

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2010, 4:31 PM
Baxter - you did good! Really like the form and the way you matched the curve in both the bowl and the lid. Being a functional bowl - your finial works well! Anything too artistic will not be able to withstand any day-today handling.

Really nice lidded bowl! You should be very happy with this one! Thanks for sharing!

dan carter
07-27-2010, 6:00 PM
Your bowl looks rich. Good job. I like to put a small surprise on the under side of the lid as well.

Bill Bulloch
07-27-2010, 6:05 PM
Beautiful job. I really like the treatment under the lid...lets you know that someone was working under there.

Allen Neighbors
07-27-2010, 7:42 PM
Well done, Baxter. I don't think I'd change a thing about it. Besides, I'm too lazy. :D
Wish you'd explain to me how you do those Multi-quotes in one Reply. You (I think) and Leo are always doing that.

James Roberts
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Baxter, my wife said it is a very nice looking piece and who am I to argue? I personally like the lid sitting up like it does, adds dimension and asks for someone to see whats in there. The finial knob says this is a functional piece that should be grabbed and held on to while we look inside, but the overall form and finish tells everyone that it was crafted with skill and attention to detail and deserves some respect and TLC. Well done.

Baxter Smith
07-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Nice piece Baxter.

I like it. I love the look of cherry, although I have never turned it. You could always use some steel wool to dull down the lacquer a bit. If it is too dull buff with a horse hair brush (shoe brush) to give it a satiny sheen....
Thanks Mark. I did lightly steel wool and buff it. Didn't want to go too far. Will let it sit for awhile before I go any further! I will try to get something out of those end pieces and will try some oil.

Well done, Baxter. I don't think I'd change a thing about it. Besides, I'm too lazy. :D
Wish you'd explain to me how you do those Multi-quotes in one Reply. You (I think) and Leo are always doing that.
Thanks Allen. Me too. I am already moving on!:D
In the lower right hand corner of each persons response there are 3 little symbols, click on the middle one of each person you would like to quote/respond too. When you have clicked on as many of the responses as you want, you can hit "post reply" at the end as you usually do. The ones you have selected will come up in your reply box. You can then insert what you would like to say at the appropriate locations. I click "Preview Post" to make sure I have done it correctly before I hit "Submit Reply". Try it, if it doesn't work, ask again.:)

Baxter, my wife said it is a very nice looking piece and who am I to argue? I personally like the lid sitting up like it does, adds dimension and asks for someone to see whats in there. ........
Glad your wife likes it James!:) Hope mine does too. It will be her aniversary gift in a couple of days. As for whats in there; small peppermint patties are her weakness!:);)

Thanks again for everyones comments. It is appreciated!

Paul Douglass
07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
It's pretty much all been said. Outstanding!

Dan Gremaud
07-28-2010, 6:14 PM
Baxter,
Beautiful vessel! I like the knob more than a finial and the lid just the way it is. I hope someday I can turn something as nice as that. I'm new to turning and I apologize for asking probably a question that's clear to everyone else, but how did you orient the blank in that piece? Where's the outside of the log and where is the pith?

Allen Neighbors
07-28-2010, 6:19 PM
Thanks for explaining that multi-quote to me, Baxter. I'd hit that multiquote button a time or two, but nothing happened, so I just hit the quick reply button and made a short reply. Now I get it. Takes a while for an old dumb ex-GI to get some of this computer business down. Thanks again. :)

Baxter Smith
07-28-2010, 8:38 PM
It's pretty much all been said. Outstanding!
Thanks Paul, I appreciate it.

Baxter,
I'm new to turning and I apologize for asking probably a question that's clear to everyone else, but how did you orient the blank in that piece? Where's the outside of the log and where is the pith?

Hopefully the picture explains it better than I could. One of the leftover ends is behind. I should have stuck something about 1/4 inch thick between the base and the lid.

Dan, I was asking more than just a few questions 7 or 8 months ago. Not as many right now but only because I am still working on all the great answers from the first ones! So keep asking!:)

Thanks for explaining that multi-quote to me, Baxter. I'd hit that multiquote button a time or two, but nothing happened, so I just hit the quick reply button and made a short reply. Now I get it. Takes a while for an old dumb ex-GI to get some of this computer business down. Thanks again. :)

Glad I could help Allen ( and with a computer question no less!):). It took me more than a few trys even after it was explained to me!

Dan Gremaud
07-28-2010, 9:15 PM
Thanks Baxter,
That really answers my question. Thanks for taking the time and effort to set up the photo.