PDA

View Full Version : New to turning - Which Grinder?

Adam Cavaliere
07-26-2010, 2:27 PM
I was fortunate enough to pick up a lathe and some tools off of CL for pretty inexpensively. In doing so, I realized I needed to read up on turning and everything involved with it.

Quickly I have realized I need some way to sharpen all of these tools, and that is what brings me to this post.

For a little background, I have been sharpening all of my chisels on flat stones for a while now, and though I hate how long it takes, I get by.

I am now trying to decide if I should get something like the Jet Wet Sharpening system, or just get the Woodcraft Slow speed grinder.

I do not really want to spend the money on the Jet, but I realize that spending money up front can avoid a lot of pain and frustration in the long run.

Usually I am hanging out in the general woodworking forum and am very used to seeing all of the debates on what size jointer one should buy. Is this one of those typical questions? If so, what is going to make me the most happy?! :)

I do realize that the wet sharpening is slower, but at this point I do not think I will want to change the profile on any of my tools. I think right now too I will be doing mostly spindle type of work and maybe some drawer pulls, etc...

Thank you for any insight you guys can provide!

Gary Conklin
07-26-2010, 2:34 PM
Adam, this topic was just covered in part in the past 2 weeks. Here (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=144662) is the thread.

Adam Cavaliere
07-26-2010, 3:03 PM
I realize that, and read through the whole thing. I felt that by providing a little bit more info on my situation and background, maybe I would get a more targeted response...

Michelle Rich
07-26-2010, 3:09 PM
My answer to the question..WHICH GRINDER..is no grinder at all..I have been convinced for years that they were designed by high priced steel tool manufacturers(sorby, et al ) so you would grind your tools to nubs. I use a tormek & have since I got smart. (many, many yrs ago) I have not bought a new tool in 2 decades...I believe it costs more up front, but saves a ton in the end...IMHO

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-26-2010, 3:40 PM
There are as many opinions as options. Lots of turners like 1750 rpm grinders because they create less heat than a 3500 rpm machine. Most will agree on 8" diameter wheels because they form a nice circumference for the hollow grind. With either speed grinder the trick is to buy the proper wheels for HHS. Most like Norton white Aluminum Oxide or Blue Norton 3X. The resins that hold the grit together on these wheels allow the wheel to microscopically fall apart as you grind, resulting in cooler cutting action. They are referred to as "friable". The wheels can cost as much as the grinder. You will also need a dressing tool (heavily discussed in this forum) and true diameter bushings to properly size the hole in the wheels (also heavily discussed). Of course you will need the proper jigs for sharpening. I'm happy you bought a lathe for a low price because you will need lots of what you saved for the accessories.
All will be worth while.
fmr

Leo Van Der Loo
07-26-2010, 4:16 PM
I like to spend my time turning, not grinding or sharpening :rolleyes:.

A good grinder and the Wolverine jigs will do that for you :).

Learn to sharpen with a grinder, so that you take the dulled edge off and not more, I turn quite a lot and have 10 year old tools that are still not ground into dust, a slow speed grinder (1725rpm) is the best compromise between ultra sharp and forever spending your time sharpening and a good quick sharpening that takes but 15 seconds to re-sharpen your gouge, just buy a good industrial grinder and you will be set for life :D.

Adam Cavaliere
07-27-2010, 8:29 AM
Well all, I just thought I would jump back on and let you guys know I picked up the Woodcraft slow speed grinder with the wolverine jig sharpening jig.

I didn't get a chance to test it out last night, but I am hopeful I made the right decision. Either way, I can't wait to get to making my table legs! :D

Tim Rinehart
07-27-2010, 9:52 AM
SO many opinions on this. It sounds to me like you did just fine. Regardless of whether you decide to go with a wet grinder in the future, you will still need to have a decent way to establish a new grind profile, and a slow speed grinder with two grits is pretty much the accepted way.

Enjoy. You'll see lots of info on using the Wolverine, and how to establish different kinds of grinds. One thing I do, which helps me, is to write on my tool somewhere the notch number (from the gouge jig) on the gouge so I don't accidentally use the wrong grind on it. Once you have a good set up, and true up your wheel...your passes should be very light.

One last item, don't discount ability to use a diamond stone to dress up your edges. I've found that I can get a nice edge with a coarse diamond stone, and that takes very little material away. In fact, I was traveling recently and had a mini-lathe with me...but no grinder. I sharpened my tools before leaving on trip, and lasted two weeks of almost daily turning by using the diamond stone only to dress up my gouges.