PDA

View Full Version : Penetration oil

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-26-2010, 1:46 PM
What kind of penetration oil should I use for my drum sander tuneup?
Jet manual is not very useful for that and I am not incline in mechanical work:mad:
Thank you, Ed.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2010, 2:01 PM
You should follow the manual's instructions or contact the maker for input.

Why would you want a penetrating oil on any machine? It's not really a lube oil. There are a few applications where a super fine oil (like whale oil) work well as lube, but it's mostly delicate things like antique clocks and such.

Spindle oil is about the lightest lubricating oil I'd use with the exception of sme of the synthetic motor oils.

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-26-2010, 2:13 PM
This is what manual say:"Lubricate thoroughly. Apply penetrating lubricant to the table supports where they contact the columns and to all contact points of adjusting screws and transfer rod (see Features on page 7). Also apply grease to the miter gears."
I am just asking what kind of oil should I use.
Ed.

Bill Huber
07-26-2010, 3:21 PM
I would use Tri-Flow, it will penetrate and is a good light oil also.

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Superior_Drip/superior_drip.html

The Ace Hardware stores carry it.

Dave Sweeney
07-26-2010, 5:23 PM
Not sure about this application but the best penetrating oil I've ever used is PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst.

Myk Rian
07-26-2010, 5:30 PM
You don't want penetrating oil, you want lubricating oil.
Get a little can of 3in1.

Neil Brooks
07-26-2010, 5:30 PM
Hate to use the "W" word, but ... for what you're describing ... WD-40 should do the trick, too (and you may have some on hand, already).

I've had universally good experiences with every PB Blaster product I've used, though ... just by the way.

Will Overton
07-26-2010, 5:51 PM
You say that the manual says "penetrating lubricant" but you said "penetrating oil". If you Google both terms you'll see the results show different products.

Generally speaking, penetrating oil is used to free stuck bolts by eating at rust and corrosion. Penetrating lubricant is a very fine oil that is used to lubricate, without leaving to much residue.

WD40 is a Water Dispersant, which does leave a lubricating residue.

As Bill H mentioned, Tri-Flow is one of the better choices for your application.

The parts that require grease are best served with a white lithium.

Kevin Gregoire
07-26-2010, 6:28 PM
here is what i use on my tablesaw trunions and it is some fantastic stuff!
it stopped my squeek i had and there is no gummy sawdust buildup and its
been on there for 4 months and still working perfect!
go pick up a can at Lowes (http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0_?productId=1059839&Ntt=teflon&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=teflon$y=20$x=26)

around five bucks and its by the tool section

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/036121/036121191570lg.jpg

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-26-2010, 6:51 PM
Will, thank you for explanation, as you probably see I am not good with any kind of oil, except cooking oil:D:D:D.
I will go with Tri-Flow and white lithium.
Ed.

Mark A Johnson
07-26-2010, 7:04 PM
I have a 10/20 Performax now for 5 plus years and I have used Boeshield T9 on it exclusively with out any issues.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
manual say:"Lubricate thoroughly. Apply penetrating lubricant to the

WOW~!! I mean that in a Christopher Walken sort of way. WOW~!!
What company was this?

Penetrating lubricant is a non technical expression that covers a very, very wide gamut of things from the Penetrol diesel and deodorized mineral spirits to wintergreen oil (never to be used indoors) to pretty much any thin oil- like substance that might be used to un-stick stuck bolts.

I'd stick with any real lubricating oil that is also thin enough to get into the small places. 3-in-One is pretty much just spindle oil, Gun oil is pretty good and avoid anything that describes itself as a penetrating oil first.

As for the grease: Try red wheel bearing grease and not a black molybdenum grease only because black moly is really messy stuff. .

Kyle Iwamoto
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I use white lithium and regular oil (non-penetrating light oil) for a couple of reasons. The lithium is not dirt/dust attracting. I avoid getting dust attracting grease anywhere near my dust sander. Er, I mean drum sander. 3 in 1 is a penetrating oil. (penetrates, lubricates and protects, 3 in 1) It's pretty light. Anything that penetrates, is really light and will not stay.

I use T-9 on a lot of things, but not my dust maker. I should try it..... It is some good stuff.

Just my $0.02.

Jacob Reverb
07-27-2010, 9:12 AM
Penetrating oil sounds funkarama to me, too, for that application.

That said, I read where somebody did tests on all the major "penetrating oils" to see which was most effective at freeing seized nuts and bolts and by far the best was a 50%-50% mix of ATF and acetone.

FWIW...

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Penetrating oil sounds funkarama to me, too, for that application.

That said, I read where somebody did tests on all the major "penetrating oils" to see which was most effective at freeing seized nuts and bolts and by far the best was a 50%-50% mix of ATF and acetone.

FWIW...

Nothing - and I mean nothing - is as effective as wintergreen oil. The molecule is small small small. And small molecule size is where it's at when trying to getting a lube into a tight space. It stinks something awful though.

ATF is pretty good but no matter how much acetone or naptha or whatever solvent one uses the molecule size remains constant. The one thing that changes from the effect of the solvent is the molecular adhesion of oil molecules to each other. When that bond is weakened by solvents the oil molecules can individually slip into small places more readily.