PDA

View Full Version : Rockler's Box Joint Jig Cauls

Dave Gaul
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Has anyone tried these yet? Are they practical or even useful?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25132

Seems quite functional at a decent price. I have not yet made anything with a box joint, but I recently got the oshlun box joint blade set, and plan to make a jig for the TS, would some clamping squares and/or parallel clamps with some common sense work just as well?

alex grams
07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Seem like a little bit of overkill to me. I would be more than confident with face pressure from a clamp carrying through the joint while it dries that I don't need to individually isolate fingers for pressure.

Roger Newby
07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with Alex. Adding 4 more pieces to the assembly just gives you more to hassle with.

Prashun Patel
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I think it's a gimmick. But I do believe cauls improve the ability to clamp a joint tight vis-a-vis just using clamps.

I read an article just this morning in FWW by Christian Becksvoort:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/FWNPDF/011171051.pdf

He recommends using pine cauls for clamping dovetails (and boxjoints, by inference).

I think the Rockler ones are good only for small boxes, and you need a different one for each box joint spacing. For my money I'll just get some more spring clamps to hold pine cauls in place.

Dave Gaul
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys for the info! Kinda what I figured... looked like a cool idea in the catalog.. but more I looked at it, the more it seemed frivolous.

Sometimes SMC helps spend money, but other times it helps you save it!!!;)

alex grams
07-26-2010, 12:05 PM
well now, if you want to spend money, no one does it like the people at SMC!

If you can't spend your money, the next best thing is spending someone else's!

Dave Gaul
07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
well now, if you want to spend money, no one does it like the people at SMC!

If you can't spend your money, the next best thing is spending someone else's!

Yes, but you learn to do it wisely!! (at least that's what I tell SWMBO!!)