PDA

View Full Version : Oath search

Linda Tetreault
07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I need to find a prayer or oath for radiation technologists. I've just finished 20 radiation treatments for nk lymphoma & I would like to make something for the technicians, they did an awful lot of hand holding. I was thinking of an ornament with the oath in a spiral, but I can't find anything, all my searches come up with "they have to take an oath" which has to do with getting their license.

Thank you.

Dan Hintz
07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
May not be what you're describing, but I did find this (first page):
http://webmedia.unmc.edu/financialaid/Commencement_Dec_2006.pdf

...and this (page 2, search for "oath"):
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/radiation/regs/Chapter64E-3.pdf

The "oath" may be specific to the school the degree was received from, not a nationwide version... can't say for sure... it may be just the Hippocratic oath.

Dan Hintz
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
An interesting read I just came across:

Non-maleficence
Non-maleficence is a duty to do no harm to patients or society. Although all physicians take a Hippocratic oath that holds them to this idea of doing no harm, not all medical schools use the same Hippocratic oath. Here are some surprising facts: 100% of current oaths pledge a commitment to patients, but only 43% vow to be accountable for their actions, and only 3% prohibit sexual contact with patients.4 The American Medical Association ethics division does not endorse any version of the Hippocratic Oath.5

Frank Corker
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
1. The radiologic technologist conducts herselfor himself in a professional manner, responds to patient needs and supports colleagues and associates in providing quality patient care.
2. The radiologic technologist acts to advance the principal objective of the profession to provide services to humanity with full respect for the dignity of mankind.
3. The radiologic technologist delivers patient care and service unrestricted by concerns of personal attributes or the nature of the disease or illness, and without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion or socio-economic status.
4. The radiologic technologist practices technology founded upon theoretical knowledge andconcepts, uses equipment and accessories consistent with the purpose for which they were designed and employs proceduresand techniques appropriately.
5. The radiologic technologist assesses situations; exercises care, discretion and judgment; assumesres ponsibility for professional decisions; and acts in the best interest of the patient.
6. The radiologic technologist acts as an agent through observation and communication toobtain pertinent information for the physician to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of the patient and recognizes that interpretation and diagnosis are outside the scope of practice for the profession.
7. The radiologic technologist uses equipment and accessories, employs techniques and procedures, performs services in accordance with an accepted standard of practice and demonstrates expertise .
8. The radiologic technologist practices ethical conduct appropriate to the profession and protects the patient’s right to quality radiologic technology care.
9. The radiologic technologist respects confidences entrusted in the course of professional practice, respects the patient’s right to privacy and reveals confidential information only as required by law or to protect the welfare of the individual or the community.
10. The radiologic technologist continually strives to improve knowledge and skills by participating in continuing education and professional activities, sharing knowledge with colleagues and investigating new aspects of professional practice.

Linda Tetreault
07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Frank,

How did you come up with these, I'm the 1st to admit my searching skills are lacking:o! And Thank you.

Linda Tetreault
07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Dan,

It is amazing, sometimes an oath doesn't mean very much! It really depends on the person taking it.

Dan Hintz
07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Franks words are (supposedly) from the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (though I cannot verify through their site), so go with his...