PDA

View Full Version : Chisel choices

John Miliunas
12-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I know....I've already done "searches" on this topic and have come away with a fair amount of information, but still somewhat confused. :confused: I can't swing the high-end LN or most of the Japanese models. I'm looking for a decent starter set. You know...The ones going from 1/4" up to 1". Just a set of bench chisels (firmer, beveled, etc...). Plus, I also intend on adding in a 1/8th" piece.

In my search/research, I have found what appears to be some major similarities between certain brands. I'm pretty sure I'll be going along the lines of the Two Cherries, although the ECE ones are pretty comparably priced. Then there are the Hirsch ones at LV. Now, if one just looks at them and reads the descriptions, I swear that all three are one in the same, albeit the Hirsch brand is by far the most economical, but doesn't offer the 1/8" chisel. That's not a big deal, as the others do offer it. So, does anyone out there know if these resemblances are more than just similar appearance or might a couple or even all three have the same heritage? :) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
12-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Hirsch and Two Cherries are made by the same company in the same factory. I've yet to see anyone with other than minor complaints about the handle comfort and even that varies from person to person and is a matter of personal preference. I've also heard a number of very good comments and reviews on the Ashley Isles chisels which Joel sells. Personally I don't like the "American Pattern" by AI or the butt chisels which I've always viewed as a waste, but the standard ones are very fine and a wide range of sizes is available. Note that the TC and Hirsch are actually metric near equivalents of the English system sizes.

Tim Sproul
12-06-2004, 11:37 PM
As Dave pointed out, the Hirsch roll off the same line as the 2 cherries. I just unloaded my Hirsch to another local woodworker....as I've got some japanese chisels and some LN chisels as well. I've heard good things about the set of japanese chisels that Grizzly is selling for something like $120 for 10 chisels or so.

The only downfault of the Hirsch is the polishing they do....it makes for backs and bevels that aren't close to flat....a bit of lapping on the backs. Not too bad for the bevels since I found the angle too acute and went a little bit more obtuse. I'd say the Hirsch are one of the chisels in the "best value" category.

Steve Wargo
12-07-2004, 12:25 AM
and the Hirsch chisels is a lacquer and if the laquer is removed (with lacquer thinner) they are actually pretty easy to get flat. If you try to flatten the backs with the lacquer still on the steel then the stones will actually gum up quickly. I have the Two Cherries and think they hold an edge great. I've used a bunch of different types and if you can't put together a set of old ones cheaply then the Two Cherries/ Hirsche are an excellent choice. Hope this helps.

Lloyd Robins
12-07-2004, 9:38 AM
John, see if you can't find a friend to let you try out the chisel that you decide on. The Two Cherries and their other lines are very nice chisels, but I didn't like the handles. You may find that they are great for you.

Mike Swindell
12-07-2004, 9:39 AM
I just saw these in the Hartville tool catalog. I haven't bought any as I have accumulated enough users from Ebay and previous purchases.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11710

Hartville has a money back guarrantee, whaddya got to lose ?

Mike

Jim Becker
12-07-2004, 9:49 AM
Well, I'll add another option...Ashley Iles from Tools for Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com). While I'm only an occasional Neander, I've been very pleased with these chisels. They are well made, stay sharp and available in two sizes. I have the longer ones which were more comfortable in my hand than the short ones and I personally found the round profile handles more comfortable to grip (a hand problem of mine) than the profile on the Hirsh which I tried out at Joel's bench in NYC during my visit. I bought the 6-pc set for $126 and have used every one of them...in between using tools-with-tails, of course... :D

Ed Hardin
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Well, I'll add another. I just purchased a set of Pfeil chisels from Woodcraft. They came out of the box sharp enought to shave. The handles fit me fine. I am very very pleased with the fit and polish but mostly how they cut. Man do they cut and hold an edge.

John Miliunas
12-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks much for all the info, gentlemen! SMC and its members are a source as NO other! :)

Anyhow, I called the rep for ECE. He honestly and openly acknowledged that the TC and ECE chisels are indeed the same animal! With the rapidly rising Euro, he couldn't even come close to what I had found elsewhere and even suggested I should choose one of the other sources! Nice guy. (If/when I have a need, he WILL get some of my business!) :) After going through the notes here, as well as having such positive experiences with LV, I gave the nod to the Hirsch set. I also ordered the 1/8" Japanese style, a pair of the skew chisels and the cabinet mallet. As Tim put it, I think the Hirsch are the "best value" and they have to be a far superior tool over what I currently have! :D I'll do a followup once I receive the order and again, thanks for all your input! :) Much appreciated. :cool:

Mark Singer
12-07-2004, 1:04 PM
John,

Nice choice...I thought they were the same. I have a few Hirsch and Two Cherries and they are very nice, Good steel! Thin shanks which is good for small dovetails. I think you wil be happy!

Chris Padilla
12-07-2004, 3:13 PM
John,

I think you'll get good service from the Japanese set that Tim mentions Grizzly sells. I have the set. One thing I found out about them is that you need to grind them back to 30 degrees and they won't chip as badly. I think they come ground to about 25 degrees...too thin for those chisels, IMO.

I haven't ground them all yet but since I use the 3/4" one for a variety of stuff, it has served me well since regrinding it.

For the price, you get a lot of sizes and they should serve you well.

Oops...I see you already made the purchase...cool...you'll be happy. :)

John Miliunas
12-07-2004, 3:19 PM
John,

I think you'll get good service from the Japanese set that Tim mentions Grizzly sells. I have the set. One thing I found out about them is that you need to grind them back to 30 degrees and they won't chip as badly. I think they come ground to about 25 degrees...too thin for those chisels, IMO.

I haven't ground them all yet but since I use the 3/4" one for a variety of stuff, it has served me well since regrinding it.

For the price, you get a lot of sizes and they should serve you well.

Oops...I see you already made the purchase...cool...you'll be happy. :)

Yeah, I did pull the trigger BUT, thanks for the info, nonetheless! You just never know how *heavy* I get into this Dark Side stuff. :eek: Still may need a set of those and you're an additional person giving pretty good "scores" on that set from Griz. Thanks! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
12-07-2004, 3:27 PM
Chris,

You really should not grind the Japanese chisels...since the harder steel is thin
and laminated. I don't use the Tormel on these ,I hone them aon waterstones.
I have a few of the Grizzleys and the steel is excellent! They really work in very hardwood.

Chris Padilla
12-07-2004, 3:30 PM
Maybe not, Mark, but mine chipped pretty easily so I ground it to put a little more meat behind the edge. Seems to work better...thus far....

Gary Sostrin
12-09-2004, 11:33 PM
In the December 1999 (#139) Issue of Fine Woodworking, there is a detailed comparison of 18 chisels manufacturers by Rex Alexander. It seems to me very useful, even though I am not that good yet. I have a clunky pair of craftsman that served me well during my 4 month house remodel (just finished 2 weeks ago). I will sharpen them with my veritas knife sharpening jig on DMT diamond 12" stones (all four grits). I wish I could buy the Iyori, and if I did it would be wasted on me.