PDA

View Full Version : Question for Toto toilet owners

Mike Cornelsen
07-26-2010, 9:13 AM
I'm considering a Toto. Toto's installation instructions specifically state to not use in-tank bowl cleaners because chlorine-related products can damage fittings in the tank. Is this really an issue or is Toto just covering their a**? I've used Clorox tablets in my old toilet for years without any problems.

Prashun Patel
07-26-2010, 9:41 AM
I'd take this Q to TerryLove.com They'll give you the real poop on toilets. Terry's a big fan of Toto's to boot.

I've had a Toto in my basement for about 4 years and have used all kinds of cleaners on it. Seems to hold up just as well - if not better - than the other bowls I have in my home.

mickey cassiba
07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I just had to replace three flappers(Toto) They looked like wilted lettuce. Probable suspect was tank mounted blue cleaner, but I can't say for sure. They were about six years old.
Mick

David G Baker
07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't know what a Toto toilet is so I can't respond to how the cleaners will impact them. Following the manufacturers advice is generally a good idea.
I used the tank type cleaners in my standard toilets before I knew about the damage that cleaners can do to the rubber seals and gaskets. Like Mickey I had problems with the rubber materials breaking down. The more sophisticated toilets tend to have a lot more rubber type items in the tanks so I would not take a chance on ruining an expensive toilet.

Dan Hintz
07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Many plastics don't stand up to chlorinated agents, making them brittle (which leads to cracking/breaking)... same with rubber and hardening. It's not something I would chance, regardless of what the manual says.