PDA

View Full Version : Identify?

Kevin Arceneaux
12-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I was going through a box in my shed and found a couple of planes, IIRC they were my Grandfathers. They were probably bought in the late 50's. I will have pics in a day or two.

One is a block plane. It has 103 stamped on the top of the heal at the rear.
I think it may be this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6136596101&category=13874

The other is a #2 plane. I am guessing that from the size of the heal, about 7 inches. There are lettering on the chip breaker. It looks like an A is either the 2nd or 3rd to last letter. Hopefully, when I clean it I will be able to see more of what it is. It has a Stanley/Baily shape to it. Both grips are wood and painted black. The front knob is attached with a brass screw.

They are both rusted pretty bad and I am going to make an effort to clean them. They both appear to have been painted black.

Any ideas where to start my search? Thanks

Jerry Palmer
12-07-2004, 8:57 AM
You might try here. Lots of good stuff on Stanleys.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

Kevin Arceneaux
12-07-2004, 9:16 AM
Thanks, but I do not think the #2 is a Stanley. I looked for the marking and could not find any, maybe when I clean it off. I did find a MADE IN USA and a U in a circle in front of the rear handle on the top.

Alan Turner
12-07-2004, 4:38 PM
I don't imagine this will help, but I have my fathert's NO. 5 Stanley BAiley, and it is black, with knob and tote pained black also.
Alan

David Turner
12-07-2004, 6:34 PM
Sounds as though your #2 may well be a "Union" plane as manufactured by the Union Manufacturing Co., New Britain, Connecticut. They were in business from 1900-1920. A copy of their 1905 catalog that is reproduced in Patented Transitional & Metalic Planes in America 1827-1927 by Roger K. Smith, depicts a #2 Union Adjustable Iron Plane with mahogany handle and knob. Maybe someone painted the mahogany. Also, Union made a #103 block plane. David

Kevin Arceneaux
12-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the added information, I have started a search of Union planes.

I grabbed a cheapo digi-camera from CVS drugs and took a couple of pics. Sorry for the quality