PDA

View Full Version : First time finish

Lee Batt
07-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I am looking for an easy to apply, nice looking, child safe finish for a crib for my son. I have no successful experience in finishing and am terrified to ruin the crib that I've spent so much time on with the finish.The wood is hard maple and I am looking for an antique honey color. Any recommendations? Thanks.

paul cottingham
07-26-2010, 1:24 AM
Tried and true original. put it on thin.

Scott Holmes
07-26-2010, 3:46 PM
Use a dye to color it and then top coat with a quality alkyd resin varnish to keep the color light.

Second option is use Waterlox Original (phenolic resin/tung oil varnish)it will impart a nice amber color all by itself.

All finishes are child safe now-a-days. Lead was the problem. No lead in finishes in the USA since 1978.

FYI poly is tough not hard. A crib would be better finished with a hard varnish. Waterlox is a hard varnish.

Lee Batt
08-01-2010, 11:14 AM
After looking into your suggestions and some other finishes, I think I am going to try the Waterlox. Does anyone have pictures of hard maple finished with waterlox so I can get an idea of the color?

Jim Summers
08-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Use a dye to color it and then top coat with a quality alkyd resin varnish to keep the color light.

Second option is use Waterlox Original (phenolic resin/tung oil varnish)it will impart a nice amber color all by itself.

All finishes are child safe now-a-days. Lead was the problem. No lead in finishes in the USA since 1978.

FYI poly is tough not hard. A crib would be better finished with a hard varnish. Waterlox is a hard varnish.

Could a barrier coat of shellac, followed by the waterlox work?

Scott Holmes
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Sure, I usually "lock-in" the dye with shellac.