PDA

View Full Version : What is it? What should I do with it?

Brian J. Elliott
07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm new to turning. Until this recent addiction, I did mostly carveing and simple furniture. Recently we took a trip to Colorado to visit some of my wife's relatives. We visited her uncle, who has been a rockhound and woodworker for many years. He is not able to tinker anymore due to his health. He let me raid his woodpile and suggested I bring this home. He did'nt have to twist my arm. He could not recall where he came up with it.

I'm thinking it's some sort of cedar, I would love to chuck it up as is and turn a large bowl. The piece is very dry and probaly not to stable. I belive the orange is some kind of sealant. I scraped the outside with a pocket knife and the wood is fairly light. I'm thinking of making some pen blanks or bottle stops. Whaat do you think?

James Combs
07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Maybe pen blanks and bottle stoppers from the scrap left overs but that needs to be turned whole.

Paul Douglass
07-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Looking at the first 2 pictures I'm thinking it is a petrified baked chicken!

kenneth walker
07-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Great looking wood it looks like a human heart. I would carve the inside out by hand.

Mike McAfee
07-26-2010, 1:45 AM
I have no clue what it is but I'm with Kenneth, I think I'd do some hand carving on it!

MMc

Fred Perreault
07-26-2010, 6:58 AM
I'm not sure what it might be, but for sure I would keep it in a cage till you are sure that it is dead.
It does look like carving would be safer that turning. Or display it just as it is. It's kinda funky looking ....

John Keeton
07-26-2010, 7:11 AM
Brian, you don't say, but looking at the pics that thing looks to be pretty large. I would be inclined to see if I could get a flat spot on the outside and glue of a tenon. Then, slowly, give it a turn and see what you have!! If it is bone dry, it is as stable as it will ever be.

Neil Strong
07-26-2010, 8:23 AM
Carve it into a cat cleaning itself.

Paul Douglass
07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Another thought, if you are a "biker" carve out the inside and wear it to Sturgis. Be a big hit.

It is a great conversation piece. I'd hate to see it cut up for pen blanks..

Roger Chandler
07-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I like John K's idea the best .... put on a waste tenon and see what you've got stopping regularly to asses the cracking and maybe stabilize with CA glue if it is found.

That being said, I rather a bit of a purist as far a turning things, and the carving should take place after the turning if embellishments are to be added..... I know, just another opinion, which admittedly might not be worth any more than the effort used to type it down :rolleyes::D

only worth maybe $.01 of my $.02 :)

please overlook the typos....i think faster than I type, and my fingers got tied up in knots.

Brian J. Elliott
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Opinions are great, that's what makes this place so fun!!!

I should have put something in the picture for scale, the diameter of the chicken chunk runs from 20-22 inchs all the way around. I think if I could come up with some Buffulo horns it would make a great helmet for Sturgis.

It's going to turn into some sort of bowl.

Prashun Patel
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe that's a Turnducken.

Save it for Thanksgiving and then serve it with cranberry saws.

Thomas Canfield
07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Brian,

I'd get out the largest diameter cardboard template that you can turn and see where it falls on the piece. There has to be a unique piece there. I have a large Mesquite burl that I have been looking at for a couple of years trying to make a decision on myself. That piece is already heading toward being hollow so no need to consider coring, but saving the outside surface as much as possible will add to piece in my opinion. I am not a carver, so have to let the lathe and tools do the removal work, but have been guilty of using an angle grinder with flex disk (forget the 60 grit) to work down some of my turnings, both inside and out. Good luck.

Jacob Nothstine
07-27-2010, 9:01 AM
NASA would like that back please.

Steve Kubien
07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Brian, that's a neat hunk of wood you've got there. Could be truly magical on the inside. With that in mind, I would suggest you put it awat right now and let it sit for a few years.

You said you are new to turning. My advice would be to practise on less special wood. Develop better technique and a better sense of form and flow, pluss, how to make it happen. Realize how thin you can go on something but also that you do not have to go as thin as some folks do. I know this sounds condescending and I do not mean it that way. I turned some really nice wood when I started out and now wish I hadn't because the pieces are ugly, just in pretty wood.

I know lots of folks will disagree with me but that's just my opinion.

Brian J. Elliott
07-27-2010, 6:56 PM
Steve, Thanks for the advice

I'm not easily offended. I have no intention of touching this wood right away. At this present time I do not have a lathe that would handle this piece. I plan to take care of that problem around the end August. I have been really busy as of late. Next weekend I'll be going to a piece of property my family owns and I'll be able to show you guys some really special peices of walnut and cherry. Last year we had power ran to a cabin we built. In the process the power company cut down several large walnut and cherry trees. We cut them into logs and had lumber milled for our counter tops. The tops,crotches and stunmps are still there. I pushed the stumps up with a dozer. I'll get some pics up after I run back over there.

David Woodruff
07-27-2010, 7:07 PM
Please send to 192 Sonata Drive, Lewisville, NC 27023 Thank You. I will promptly identify the specie and report to you my findings.

James Roberts
07-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Really, what more could any of us do to that piece than nature already did? I would sit it on my coffee table as an "objet d'art" and stare at that grain and the many different things going on in it for hours. It has a seriously ancient feel to it. Wind and weather have worked their magic, I doubt that I personally could improve on it.

Jacob Robinson
07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
its obviously a petrified chicken. i say put some finish on it, and sell it as art.

Ryan Baker
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
That definitely needs to become a bowl. I'd have that sucker chucked up and hollowing out the center by now. Just don't take away the 'charater' by cutting too much off.

Wally Dickerman
07-27-2010, 11:24 PM
It does look like something western red cedar does sometimes.

If it is cedar and is dry it would make a hot fire but not for long. Cedar burns fast.

I think that if it was mine I'd consider using it as a flower pot. Put in some good potting soil and plant some geraniums in it. Has a nice rugged look for an outside patio.

Wally

Peter P. Brown
07-28-2010, 1:29 PM
Looks like it came from a root ball to me. If that's the case you get some cool grain. In addition you can also find some hidden treasures (read this as rocks)

If you want to turn it whole, I would trim some of it horns off. Plane or sand a flat spot and glue a waste block to it. (I would use my 4" jointer with the fence removed) That way you can mount a face plate and not loose much of the wood.

If you're new to turning you might not feel comfortable spinning this up. That's okay too. If not make some stopper blanks out it if. It's your wood. Just again, be aware that rocks and saw blades are not friendly to eachother.

Either way, it should be some interesting wood.

Robert Arrowood
07-28-2010, 1:43 PM
Man that looks TOO cool the way it is.My vote is LEAVE it alone.

Frank Van Atta
07-28-2010, 1:45 PM
That could be turned into a fabulous "art" piece, 3419 miniatures, or one evening's firewood. I would opt for the first, but take Steve's advice and not turn it right away.